Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Original dealer option Buick Branded CB radio is reinstalled!

I placed my vacuum switch in the cowl instead of inside the car like the dealer did. I don’t have windshield wipers so there’s plenty of room. It nearly impossible to mount things inside the GT since my doors are welded.

All the wiring is done. Everything works!

The new console is huge and takes up a good bit of seat space. Also if you shift into 3rd gear you will smash your hand on the console unless you shift open handed lol. Ridiculous lol!

Time to order hoses, a small motorcycle battery, and lots of other small things.

Reactions: soybean and 99449

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Everything is fully assembled!
Tomorrow I’m taking everything back apart to flush the system since I’m using original parts that have been in open air for years without plugs.
The project should be complete by this time next week.
This is so time consuming. I probably have 75 hours into it so far. I strongly encourage nobody install and OEM GT AC system. It’s a pain in the butt to install it to factory standards without a manual and fix damages even in NOS parts.

I’m giving the compressor a 15% chance of working without blowing the front seal. I’m sure everything will be apart a second time soon lol.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
I have been thinking about installing the same unit you have been working on and I believe you have nearly convinced me to abandon my thoughts and look to some other after market unit instead. Of all that I have read about your work including your amazing videos, I value your judgement with comments about not installing the OEM GT AC system.

However, I do like what you have accomplished thus far. I'm sure you will get it to function and all the hard work will pay off especially when you need to use it during hot temps.

Dan

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I flushed the system today and went to install my new hoses. Guess what! GM used the proper sized #6 fittings for the dryer and part of the evap, #8 fittings for the condensor, and #10 fittings for evap to compressor.

But guess what? The barb fittings on those correctly sized fittings are a full size larger!
Aka the #6 fittings use a #8 hose, the #10 fittings use a #12 hose etc.

Ridiculous! The hoses I bought will not fit. What was GM thinking upsizing the hoses from standard but keeping the screw fittings the correct size?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I flushed the system today and went to install my new hoses. Guess what! GM used the proper sized #6 fittings for the dryer and part of the evap, #8 fittings for the condensor, and #10 fittings for evap to compressor.

But guess what? The barb fittings on those correctly sized fittings are a full size larger!
Aka the #6 fittings use a #8 hose, the #10 fittings use a #12 hose etc.

Ridiculous! The hoses I bought will not fit. What was GM thinking upsizing the hoses from standard but keeping the screw fittings the correct size?
It would be only a guess, but engineering specified the correct size and accounting found out a smaller size was cheaper (even if it did not fit). However, the screw fittings are more expensive yet so either they didn't know about it or had already "saved" enough money to meet their goals that day (week, ...)? However, regardless of what is happening, thinking is NEVER allowed!

JMHO -- Doug

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It would be only a guess, but engineering specified the correct size and accounting found out a smaller size was cheaper (even if it did not fit). However, the screw fittings are more expensive yet so either they didn't know about it or had already "saved" enough money to meet their goals that day (week, ...)? However, regardless of what is happening, thinking is NEVER allowed!

JMHO -- Doug
That would make sense, but they actually upsized the hoses which costs a good bit more per unit.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally got the #12 AC hose in.

The AC system held vacuum and is now charged. It works great too. Blows very cold!

It will take me some time to work on the video, but whenever I get there I’ll write down tips and lots of helpful info into an article too.

I still need to figure out how to get the fan shroud on.

I also have to modify my throttle as it hits on the compressor. I have no idea how the dealer overcame this issue, but I’ll figure out something. It is only allowing me about 50% throttle at the moment.

I still had a nice drive with no issues other than limited throttle!
The system is very good. It’s comparable to my modern AC system in my other GT. Likely due to the massive condenser on the GM unit. Also this big behemoth compressor puts less drag on the engine at idle than my mini sanden. How? I don’t know. Probably has to do with pulley size. At idle the AC only drops idle by 100rpm (my mini sanden drops my other GT by up to 400rpm).
I’ll give some more thoughts on the system after more testing.

Reactions: Vincent and soybean

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Nice job Kyler, looks professionally installed. Look forward to seeing your video. I would bet the rpm issue has to do with the pulley.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I fixed the throttle not clearing the compressor.
The linkage I have is from another Opel and is slightly longer than the correct GT one. No one on Facebook could identify it. The only difference is at the end of the pictured rod. The black one is longer than the correct GT one.

This project is concluded except for write ups and video!

The AC blows really cold even though I don’t have quite enough refrigerant pumped in yet. My estimate was 24oz, but the GT actually needs 36oz according to the AC manual. I’ll grab another can tomorrow.

I’m very proud of the work of done on this set up. Someday down the road when I peel off the rhino liner on my car and finish converting it to a true Aero GT (with the added benefit of welded doors:p) this AC unit will look really nice.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
That sure looks nice and wow it fills up that area on the driver side. How many work hours did you put into :sigh:
Dan

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That sure looks nice and wow it fills up that area on the driver side. How many work hours did you put into :sigh:
Dan
Possibly 80! I’m just guessing though. That’s including research too though. If I already knew everything and didn’t have to search for parts that time would probably be half lol.

The video is coming together nicely. I’ve had to cut about 90% of my original footage. It’s painful and difficult to decide what to cut. I’m shooting for 25minutes for the first video. I’m down to 28min now.

I’m going to do a second video devoted to comparing the ARA and GM systems and talking about their history, specs, etc.

I’ll probably be making a new thread to help out with research for that soon lol.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
You are amazing Kyler, glad you are apart of this forum. Videos are extremely helpful and for someone to take the time to orchestrate and post them is a credit to your dedication. Thanks for all the videos you have posted and those to come. I for one have learned a lot from watching your videos.
Dan

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You are amazing Kyler, glad you are apart of this forum. Videos are extremely helpful and for someone to take the time to orchestrate and post them is a credit to your dedication. Thanks for all the videos you have posted and those to come. I for one have learned a lot from watching your videos.
Dan
Yes, Kyler, it's great having your energy and enthusiasm as a member of this forum.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Reactions: davegt27 and 99449
21 - 36 of 36 Posts