Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I would like to transform my Rally-Prepared GT 1900 into a Group 4 RaceCar! (In order with Apendix K for Historic Racing in Europe). Due to the fact that I do not have much time to go Rallying because of to much Circuit Racing. :D
I am searching for Information on Period Group 4 OPEL-GT's as the Steinmetz, Irmscher, Conrero, ...) as well as for the Specialpart, as:

- Schwedenkopf (Crossflow)
- Limited Slip Diferential
- Sport's or Racing-Gearbox

The aim is to beat up some Porsches 911 in the European Championchip! :haha: :burnout:

Thanks for any Help!

Chirs from Switzerland
francy-racing

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
How about the real deal

Chris,

If you'd like to get in contact with me.........i have a GT you might be very interested in!!!!!

Regards,

Mark

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I am curious as to what a Group 4 car would look like and what the rules are

Davegt27
The Conrero GT's were built to FIA 'Group 4' specs. So Rionart's GT (formerly Kyle's) is what it would look like. 'Group 4' later morphed into 'Group B' in the early 1980's, and we all know what became of that!

Here are the FIA homologation papers for the Opel GT.

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
cool thanks for the Link

I can pick out a few things I can understand

would the Homologation be the same as the rules?

Davegt27

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
cool thanks for the Link

I can pick out a few things I can understand

would the Homologation be the same as the rules?

Davegt27
The homologation is simply the allowances for a particular make/model of vehicle. So if the homologation for the Group 4 Opel GT calls for either a factory 1.9 head casting OR an aluminum crossflow 8-valve head casting, then that is all that is allowed. Showing up with a 16-valve head would be bad....

For the general jist of the rules, check out the FIA website.

These are the currently homologated vehicles in the FIA's database BTW. This means that unless the car is run in a historic class, once the homologation is over the car cannot compete at an international level.

HTH,
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Conrero kit Gr.4

Hi,
I am working to transform my Rally-Prepared GT 1900 into a Group 4 RaceCar like Conrero model, we have ready the engine, brakes and suspension, but we can not find the fiber body parts and the rims.
I am new in this forum but I am sure that you can help me !!!!!!!!!
Thanks and regards from Spain

Andreu

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Hi,
I am working to transform my Rally-Prepared GT 1900 into a Group 4 RaceCar like Conrero model, we have ready the engine, brakes and suspension, but we can not find the fiber body parts and the rims.
I am new in this forum but I am sure that you can help me !!!!!!!!!
Thanks and regards from Spain

Andreu
Andreu;
You can try either Opel GT Source --- Welcome in California, USA or Lenk Tuning International in Germany

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hi BQS4,
Thanks for you reply, but this companys don't have the Conrero Replica Body Parts. I only found one company in Canada Showcars Fiberglass&Steel Bodyparts Unlimited but they never answer my emails and my calls.
I show you a picture of Conrero GR.4

Thanks
Andreu

Will this never die!!
Andreu...DO NOT BUY FROM SHOWCARS. (Sorry I have to shout).
All they have for the Conrero are some pictures stolen from the internet.
As the current owner of the car in question, I have tried to put these clowns right, but I am wasting my breath.
Rgds, Rob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Rionart,
Thanks for you reply and advice, I found the picture of GT Conrero from showcars website. Even they have prices of all the spare parts of GT Conrero.
But I can see they are not serious company!!!!!
Maybe somebody knows the owner of this beautiful GT Conrero of the picture, and can tell me where buy this special Conrero fiber parts and the brand of the rims.
I have a competition of European and Spanish Historic Rally in November and I must to finish the GT a soon as possible (is the first Opel GT in competition in these championships)

Best regards
Andreu

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Maybe somebody knows the owner of this beautiful GT Conrero of the picture, and can tell me where buy this special Conrero fiber parts and the brand of the rims.

Best regards
Andreu
LOL, Andreu, Rionart IS the current owner of this beauty. Here's a pic from the Carlisle show, with Rionart himself:

Carlisle, 2008 - Opel Photo Gallery

·
1,608 Posts
Thanks For the Photos !
John

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Guys if you want some pics then why not enjoy these.............the real deal Grp4 Conrero GT owned by ex CEO Opel Europe, then Dealer Opel Team. It's full spec and is also for sale!!!

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Not the original but a nice copy ... the gas tank lock is on the original spot, the conrero´s had them on the side of the C colum.
Who is selling this one ? what´s the requested price ?
It's not often that I come back on here to tell someone that they're wrong, but "sorry, you're wrong"....this is NOT a copy.

The Competition Conrero GT's did have a 'Monza' style filler cap on the 'C' pillar, but this car was not a competition car. It was taken off the production line as Le Mans Blue GT/J and shipped direct to Conrero for its build and was a 'gift' for Alex Cunningham, the then MD of Opel. It features a 2.3 Conrero Crossflow engine, ZF 5speed gearbox, 3.67 LSD, Watts Linkage and larger ventilated discs. Originally it was in full road spec, with a standard GT interior, but had Gotti wheels and the bodywork finished as you see here.

In the late-70's/early 80's it then came to the Uk where Dealer Opel Team (DOT) and Opel Motorsport Director Tony Fall instructed that the car be used as a marketing tool and so she was used in sprint races and hill climbs. After a couple of years service and after Tony Fall left DOT the car went into private hands only to be bought by the Chairman of Opel GT UK Owners Club in the late 1980's.

After coming into it's new ownership the Chairman investigated if DOT would consider rebuild the car and a team was put together to carry out a complete restoration back to 'sprint' specification, this being completed in 1990.

As a result of this restoration a UK company, known as Opel Classics was formed, with Tony Fall (DOT), Tom May (Irmscher UK) and Steve Thompson (Irmscher Dealer). The company's primary role was to look after ex competition cars, Manta 400's, Ascona 400's, Kadett GT/E's etc but they also built 2 'NEW' Opel GT's. Of the 2 cars built, 1 was Tony Fall's own car (purchased by him from an Opel dealership in San Remo during the 1982 Rally)....i now own this car, amongst a few others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts