Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARTICLE HERE

Considering that this car was years ahead of the Datsun/Nissan 240ZX, one wonders why Toyota was reluctant to bring the 2000GT to North America. On the other hand, GM owes Toyota an apology, for the Opel GT coupe of the 1970's is a flat-out copy.
link to article writer at bottom of page.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It's obvious the writer of the article has never seen the Honda S800 of the same era. The Honda was a precursor of the Toyota Z-cars. Although it only had an 800 cc engine and had a chain driven rear axle, it was quick.

Ron

·
Registered
521 Posts
I consider that more of a compliment then anything...the 2000GT was a beautiful car. .....saying the Opel GT was a "flat out copy" is saying the GT resembles the 2000GT....thanks. I think the GT looks a LITTLE like the 2000GT too....in a way.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
I wish these magazines would check their facts first....Opel GT prototypes were running around as early as '65, which was the first year the 2000GT was available. Not to mention, the 2000GT, at around $7400, was a much higher end car than the Opel GT, and rarer as well. Few people have ever seen one....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I wonder why no mention of it being a knock off of an earlier Jaguar XKE? Everything about it, rear body styling, nose length and fenders. The rear wheel arches scream jag, but no mention. I wonder what the author does for his day job? Valet parking attendant?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree, if anything, the 2000gt is a copy of the Jag. It looks far more like a Jag than the Opel GT looks like it, regardless of which car came first.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I agree with you folks. It's easy to see the Jag comparison. So much in fact, that I wrote a very nice (I mean it, very nice) letter to Mr. Powell about the 2000GT to Jag styling, especially in the aft section of the car. If he deems to answer, I'll post it. Always like to see if a "professional" car buff will substantiate his beliefs.
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts