Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
opel gt help

i live in UTAH and is junk yard going cach three opel gt but i need help my head light will not come on i talk to some round here he said they the wiring burn up so i look and wiring is a little toatie repace wiring still do not work help

·
Opeler
7 Posts
ben, where is the wiring burnt? Near the lights or near the switch? Use a test light to check for power along the wires for the headlights, going back from the lights to the firewall, then check under the dash to the switch. You may have burnt the switch also. Unless ther is no power at the headlight switch at all.Then you will have to check a wiring diagram to find the power feed for the light switch. Good luck.:)

·
371 Posts
gt help

ok so the wiring was bad all the way up to were it become two wires instead of four the white and yelllow .and were is the swicth and what do i do if if its bad :confused: :confused:

·
Administrator
10,075 Posts
Ben,

The wiring going to the headlight bulbs has rubber insulation for flexibility when the headlights rotate. Over the years, this becomes brittle and flakes off. the high beam, low beam, and ground wires pass through the center of the headlight rotator. When the hot wire hits the ground wire you have a short and the wires will burn up because they are not on a fuse.

Fix: Go to your local auto parts store and pick up 2 headlight plugs. Next, get some wire. Go to an electrical supply house (or Home Depot) and get some 12 ga MTW grade wire (very flexible) in the original colors. You could also use some 12 ga SJO cord.

You can access the wiring by removing the covers in the wheel well. Cut the old wires and tape the new to the headlight end. Pull the wires through. Connect the plugs and run the wire back to where it becomes 2 wires and you shoud be set. While you are at it, add 2 inline 20 amp fuses for future protection.

·
371 Posts
opel gt help

hey thanks for headlight help
now i need help finding a window and the front gasket
and some carb help as well some put a pinto holley on there and all the adjustments are in places you cant get too the damper wobles at low speeds but is fine at high speeds i tink thats every thing left exp a little rust and away i go

·
Opeler
7 Posts
opel gt help

I assume when you said a window and a front gasket, you mean a windshield. I don't have a front windshield, but I have a rear window and seal, both rear quarter windows(stationary ones behind the doors) for a '71+ GT. As for the carb, you can get the holley rebuilt with new bushings for the "butterfly" plate and the throttle plate, or you can change the carb. A holley model 5220 2 barrel from an '84/85 Caravan, 2.2L engine, will bolt right on, but you may have to reroute the throttle cable. Not sure of the Ford holley setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts