Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I was wondering if this idea would work. I have a Weber 32/36 and the square air filter that sits right on the carb. I was wondering if i cut the front of the hood “bubble” that it would be a cold air intake. And then I could figure something out if it rains like a little flap or something but I am not worried about that. Would this mod be a waste of my time or would it actually work? Right now I am running my GT without a hood since one of my hood hinges are rusted. My hood isn’t that great but it also isn’t that bad. I have a super nice orange hood that I could put on if I don’t like it.

What do you guys think about this idea. And If anyone has a crappy hood near Fort Wayne Indiana let me know.

Thanks Sam
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Door Vehicle door

Here is a picture of. My hood.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,206 Posts
More than likely it would vent hot underhood air.
You'd need to fabricate a seal to keep hot underhood air and cooler above hood air separate.
If your hood hinges are shot, you could use four hoodpins to hold your hood on....just don't forget to put all four locks in!

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
The Young One
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely it would vent hot underhood air.
You'd need to fabricate a seal to keep hot underhood air and cooler above hood air separate.
If your hood hinges are shot, you could use four hoodpins to hold your hood on....just don't forget to put all four locks in!
My grandpa is looking today to see if mine is fixable. There is a hinge on eBay. Your idea is a good idea where would you put the pins at? Would you weld them or bolt them in?

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
496 Posts
Sam- I just run mine with the Square Air Filter under the hood. If you want colder air, you may want to look at a snorkel kit like OGTS #9063.

·
Opeler
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sam, get creative. You can make one out of fiberglass like I did.
View attachment 440999

Wes
I don’t know if I can do that but I might Talk to my grandpa and see if we can build one. I have an idea of taking the bottom the the square air filter and then welding the original piece that went on the soles carb to it.

·
Can Opeler
3,764 Posts
Sam why do you want the cold air intake? If it’s just for looks go for it, but if you are looking for power I’d stick with the standard rectangular filter. You aren’t going to get a performance increase with a cold air intake on a GT unless you are driving in 100+ degree weather even then the difference is negligible.

On my GT a cold air intake also extends the time needed to keep the choke on to prevent going lean which is annoying.

·
Registered
The Young One
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sam why do you want the cold air intake? If it’s just for looks go for it, but if you are looking for power I’d stick with the standard rectangular filter. You aren’t going to get a performance increase with a cold air intake on a GT unless you are driving in 100+ degree weather even then the difference is negligible.

On my GT a cold air intake also extends the time needed to keep the choke on to prevent going lean which is annoying.
I am going all for performance. As with my exhaust it isn’t pretty but it sounds good and is all about performance. That is why I will probably never paint this car and just put performance parts on. (It also would be very hard and cost a lot to make the body nice, since it has a cm of bonds all over it)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,900 Posts
+I've done many, many, many, cold air intake mods to my cars and I can tell you that they don't do schitt. The only times that you could benefit from a cold air intake is when you are stopped in traffic or driving slowly. Once you get up to 25mph there's enough air turbulence and flow through and around the car that air to the carb is fairly cool. There are also many videos on YouTube that show that they don't do schitt and in some cases actually make your car slower.

Now, does a cold air intake LOOK cool? Ubetcha! So, if you are going to install a cold air intake system, make it look as cool as you can. It's hard to dress up our relatively ugly small engines, except for our aluminum valve covers, they can be made to look really nice. The chromed plastic piping that you can get at an auto parts store is a nice upgrade.

Cutting the bump on the hood will do a little to give you cooler carb air, but it's not worth it. It WILL maybe let some of the excessive heat build up under the hood out, but there's other ways to do that. Here's some pics:

Automotive parking light Microphone Grille Automotive lighting Hood

The Weber snorkel kit's "spider web muffin" is really, really, nice and well worth getting. No other adapter fits as well or as low. The accordion hose is also very high quality and can be used various ways......

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

·
Can Opeler
3,764 Posts
I am going all for performance. As with my exhaust it isn’t pretty but it sounds good and is all about performance. That is why I will probably never paint this car and just put performance parts on. (It also would be very hard and cost a lot to make the body nice, since it has a cm of bonds all over it)
In that case I wouldn’t bother with a cold air intake.
If you are going for performance you will eventually end up with a side draft carb set up or side draft throttle bodies. With those you are better off using foam filters or rock screens without an intake box on a GT. It’s more important to have long velocity stacks on a GT CIH than to have a nice air box for performance.

If you want to make a big performance difference with your current carb check this out.

We’ll never mind all the old Hemmings opel club links are dead. Does anyone have a copy of the Bob Legere opel intake tuning pdf? Sam needs to give it a read.

·
Super Moderator
14,302 Posts
Well never mind all the old Hemmings opel club links are dead. Does anyone have a copy of the Bob Legere opel intake tuning pdf? Sam needs to give it a read.
Bob needs to update that article anyway. It’s 20 years out of date.

Reactions: ccduke and Knorm65

·
Registered
198 Posts
If its bling, I think a clear hickey/hump on the hood. If performance, I think heat shields under around carbs and air intake from outside the engine compartment preferably a high pressure area from the front or base of wind screen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts