Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back during the oil embargo (early 70s) (now I'm showing my age) Mother Earth News (are they still around?) had plans for a hybrid Opel Gt. It used a starter off a jet engine along with a 5hp gas engine.

I actually bought a set of those plans but lost them over the years. I didn't even own an Opel at the time. I remember they said the car was ideal because of its low weight.

Has anyone ever attempted this modification or heard of it?

Just curious, it seemed to be well ahead of its time considering hybrids are just starting to come out now.

Thanks/Mike

·
299 Posts
you know a elect gt would work nice wouldnt be a sporty car any more but with motor and batteries id still be light than the gas egnie atleast the weight would be in the right place sounds like a plan there r kits to do it for 2000 or less

·
Registered
71 Posts
Car vs truck

I've been reading alot about the electric conversions. For the most part cars are not very ideal for this conversion because to make it usefull, you'd have to have alot of batteries. The car was not built to handle the wieght of so many batteries. For this reaon most conversions are done with Rangers and S-10's. They have the perfect storage area, and are capable of handleing the increased weight. To get about 40 - 50 miles you'll need to carry about 20 batteries. Assuming you'd want some sort of performance. First where would they go, but the weight would reach close to 400lbs in batteries. I still think that there are possibilities with it. maybe use the front area to hold a small gass generator to continuosly charge sections of the batteries while you drive, and when stoped. But I'm sure there are reaons this hasn't been tried, I just haven't looked into it yet. Here's a website for more information.
http://www.EV-America.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
I saw an article back then. Don't have details.

I saw an Opel wagon conversion a long time ago. It was a hybrid, like the new Toyota Pirus. It had batteries, generator, diesel (I think), ran using electric motor. Incredible mpgs, near/over 100 mpg. I think it had 60 hp. Not fast but it'd go forever, across the US on 2 tanks of fuel.

Car manufactures act like this is new idea. Trains (choo-choo) are hybrids. It's been done for a long time and seriously since WWII.

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
There is a beautifull electric GT in Washington state that used to show up at the big Opel event there every year. I don't know who it is but someone out there must.

·
Opeler
16 Posts
Electric Opel in Washington

I saw that GT in Washington back in '95/'96. It was a BEAUTIFUL charcoal paintjob if I recall correctly, and the guy did an excellent job on the very clean conversion. I don't know his name but I'm pretty sure John, who puts on the Tacoma show, could probably provide more info. That car had either 20 or 24 batteries, using both the engine compartment and the rear area (no spare tire!). The coolest thing about that car was that it was (obviously) completely silent. When the guy at the show started up the car to leave, he had to lean out the window and ask people standing there to get out of the way before he could pull out, because they had no idea the car was even on! :)

Ironically, my own purple GT was formerly a FAILED attempt to create an electric car in Washington. When I bought it, the engine compartment had been modified (removed radiator bracket) and it had a SNOWMOBILE transmission mounted on the firewall (wacky!). Unfortunately, it required a lot of rehabilitation of the engine compartment and related areas, but the good news was that after the project had been suspended 15 years earlier, the car was stored in a barn, so it was truly rust-free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hybrids - they do exist

I was talking with the mechanic at a small airport near my house who said he purchased the GT Hybrid drawings (like I did) and still has them (somewhere).

If possible I'll see if I can get them and copy them to a PDF file. If I remember they were blueprint size which could be a problem.

Mike

:cool: Rust. I've accepted it as part of the project.

·
Opeler
99 Posts
Im in high school and we have an electric vehicle team. Ayhow a few years ago we converted a 1983 ford ranger to e.v. Last year, we took it to tour de sol in new england and got second. pretty good for a 2 ton truck. Im not sure what their website is, but they might have piscs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
web link

I did come across this web link which had some info http://solstice.crest.org/discussion/ev/199803/msg00441.htmlabout the original hybrid GT.

Sounds like the original specs were too good to be true. At the time of the gas embargo I remember a lot of weird stuff in different magazines. Of course the big claims and fantastic mpg (like Popular Mechanix) never seem to come true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts