Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opel Gt in 'Classic Cars' magazine

Yep, just what it says. The current issue of the British magazine, 'Classic Cars', has an article on 'cheap chic', comparing several relatively inexpensive cars from the late 60s-early 70s. The cars they chose were the Saab Sonnet III, TVR 2500M (I think), Datsun 240z, Reliant, Marcos, and the Opel GT. They have nice pics of all the cars and the blue GT they had looks quite nice.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Thanks for that Opelbits, I'll be going out to buy a copy tomorrow.

If you're able to get hold back copies you may wish to order one that featured my old GT. It was great fun doing the feature and the car got a good review, which is great for the UK market as most people are anti 'Left Hand Drive.'

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which issue? Can I assume it was the car in your avatar? "Thoroughbred and Classic" had a blue one with a grey interior in it back in 86-87.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
It was featured in Thoroughbred and Classic Cars in August 2000 and is orange in colour. If you can pick up the America Sportscars of the World series you'll notice the GT featured in that is also the same car.

This publication was printed for the American market, but photography took place in the UK and I was fortunate enough to have my car featured in this.

The car has since been sold in my quest for my 'perfect' GT and the one featured in my avatar could be the one........FSH, one owner from new and every piece of documentation. It needs a little work but we'll get there in time.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
The article can be found in "thoroughbred & Classic cars" August 2003 issue. The article is very nice

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
jlthunder

Are you sure it's in August 2003 as the copy featuring my car was definately printed in 2000?

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Yes;

I just got it from "Borders" the other day. The article is titled "Look a Million Dollars for a Lot, Lot less". They review the Marcos 3.0 litre, TVR 2500M, Datsun 240Z, Matra Murena, Triumph GT6, Saab Sonnett III and the Opel GT.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uh, I think you guys might possibly be talking about two different issues and cars. The GT in the August 03 issue is blue. I'll have to go through my 'collection' to see what and when. From what I remember there has been a blue GT with a grey interior back in 86-87 (I think that article was reprinted in the "Brooklands' reissue), a red Manta A versus a Capri ? within the last couple of years, and I think I remember the orange/red GT from a while back. Plus a few odd little bits concerning Mantas and Asconas in rally racing. One issue has a pic of a Manta A two feet off the ground in a rally about a year ago. They won, too.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
I thought everyone was getting confused, myslef included:confused:
I thought I should know when 'my own' car was featured, but with everything being issued by the same mag it's simple to get mixed up..........only problem now is that I can't find a copy of the Aug 2003 mag.

More hunting needed!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, there was also an article in 'Classic and Sportscar' back around 87-88 that compared the GT to a couple other cars, but they acknowledged the other two cars were in a higher class than the Opel.

Martin Buckley (formerly of 'C and S') is now writing for 'Thoroughbred and Classic'. Last year(?) he did a comparison of the Ford Granada, Toyota Crown, and Opel Commodore from the mid-70's. He's been doing these three-car write-ups, not so much a road test, but more of a whimsical disertation on what types of people drove each car 'back in the day'. According to him, the Commodore driver was a rather unassuming, turtleneck wearing kind of guy whose profession is that of 'arms dealer'.

How he knows me, I'll never know......:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Opel Manta A & B in Practical Classics Magazine

And the latest issue of "Practical Classics" (Issue # 8, July 2003) has an article on the Opel Manta A & B. I bought it to read on the plane to Malaysia, Thailand and L.A. (50 hours or so but who is counting!) and there it was. Six pages and lots of photos. If I get a chance, I will scan it and provide it to Gary for "download". Or will that cause the Copyright Police to shut us down?

·
Opeler
13 Posts
kwilford said:
And the latest issue of "Practical Classics" (Issue # 8, July 2003) has an article on the Opel Manta A & B. I bought it to read on the plane to Malaysia, Thailand and L.A. (50 hours or so but who is counting!) and there it was. Six pages and lots of photos. If I get a chance, I will scan it and provide it to Gary for "download". Or will that cause the Copyright Police to shut us down?
I'd love to see this article. Did you ever get a chance to scan it in?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
kwilford said:
McCall said:
I'd love to see this article. Did you ever get a chance to scan it in?

Thanks!
Hmm, I think I was JUST back from California for the 2003 OMC Picnic when I wrote that. Now where DID I put that magazine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts