Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 296 Posts

·
Opeler
1,407 Posts
Looking for rear bumpers in better shape than mine. Mine dont shine

Dont have to be mint but shiny would be nice. Let me know what parts you need
If all else fails, try priming your old bumpers, then shooting them with metallic silver alloy wheel paint, then a couple of coats of clear coat. Should be able to do this for $25 bucks or less. It won't be as bright as chrome, but will be pretty shiny. FWIW

·
Über Genius
8,924 Posts
OR, take your entire bumper set to someone who does powder coating and see if they can give them a dark nickel finish in high gloss.

·
Registered
114 Posts
crome wrap?

I was at a show last year and was talking to a guy with a Buick Skylark,that told me he had wrapped his bumper with a chrome plastic film then heated it to shrink it and clear coated it. Does anyone know what this film is called or where you can get it? I've been doing some searches by don't know what to type in. I don't think the film was designed for this use.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I was at a show last year and was talking to a guy with a Buick Skylark,that told me he had wrapped his bumper with a chrome plastic film then heated it to shrink it and clear coated it. Does anyone know what this film is called or where you can get it? I've been doing some searches by don't know what to type in. I don't think the film was designed for this use.
Check out this link. Bill

Alsa Corp | Strech Chrome Film

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,278 Posts
It's getting mighty tough to find shiny used ones these days. You might have a pretty long wait before someone comes up with a set.

I had okay luck with chrome polish, but you have to probably redo it every couple of years.

You could check around locally for a chroming company, like someone who does motorcycle parts, and have them rechromed. Figure on about $100 per item.

If I had nice perfect unmolested or modified GT's, I'd be sorely tempted by those stainless bumpers. You blew the megabucks on wheels, tires, and paint, this is the final step, no sense in cheaping out now(It's EASY for me spend Your money! Ha!). I would think that the stainless bumpers would have good resale value, so the money would in no way be wasted. Maybe you can buy those bumpers one bit at a time, instead of the whole set all at once.

Your car has a tough color to work with. It's hard for me to imagine an offsetting color that would work with it that you could paint your bumpers with. Of course, you could always go with black and gnarly. A really shiny gloss black might give you the bling without the sting. Powdercoating would be a good choice for that.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Oh I want the stainless, but believe it or not I am not mr moneybags. I am just opel crazy and it has been my priority moneywise.

My front bumper is too good to warrant a stainless set yet. Thought I would try for a decent set of rears. And yes my restoration calls for perfect bumpers.

At this point I think a getrag or paying rent is more important. (I like road trips,) stainless is full set only

Even after chrome polish they look dull and grey. That is why im trying to sell parts to finance the bumpers.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Need an oil pressure sending unit

and some advice. WHich assembly lube and break in oil should I use?

And I would like to do the front spring but do not want to sacrifice too much ride comfort. Stick with the 1" drop intermediate correct? Or does 2" drop not too much rougher?

thanks

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,278 Posts
Do you need a one or a two wire sending unit? I think your later car uses the one wire.

I, personally, would NOT go for the 2" lowering one. I've had the 1" intermediate on the Ole Yeller, the Baron, and the X car will get one.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Do you need a one or a two wire sending unit? I think your later car uses the one wire.
One wire sender is for the 'idiot' light equipped cars. Two wire senders are for cars with an idiot light and gauge, such as the GT's and rallye guage cluster cars.

I, personally, would NOT go for the 2" lowering one. I've had the 1" intermediate on the Ole Yeller, the Baron, and the X car will get one.
If you're running high pressure gas shocks you may want to consider the 2" lowering spring. If you're running regular shocks, a front spoiler and the 2" drop spring you're just asking for trouble. With the long front overhang of the GT you'll have to be careful not to rip it off.

Harold

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Did you replace the cam? There is an additive specifically used for cam break in. I have a bottle somewhere....... I thunk it might be a Lucas product. And you can buy it directly or OGTS might even sell it.

And I agree with Rotella 15-40.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
the sending unit in my car looked to be welded back together. is it common for it to leak or split?

looked like a rig job fo sho. Gobs of welds and it is a 2 wire.

going with standard KYB shocks so ill probably just do the 1inch drop. Would love to go Koni reds but at $500 Ill pass for now.

Yes new cam, I already have a few bottles of ZDDP, thought I would ask if there is a certain oil I should use regardless of ZDDp,

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
If you can wait for a day or two, I can go look at my spare engine block and see if the sender will work for you. Not sure if it will work though, its a 1970 block.....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
Sender

I used these from egauges.com.

R7963 Adapter Bushing - 1/8 NPT female x M14 X 1.5 male
360-009 Pressure Sender: 0-80 PSI/5 Bar - 1/8-27 NPT - 7.0 PSI

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Cmon Baby Daddy needs a new pair od shoes...

Actually a Getrag. Decided to go a different route with exhaust and head. Up for Grabs is

1) Sprint manifold I bought fro Team Unterpuff $175 shipped
2) 2.0 head from Gordo has an 85 stamp? Cam still in it $400 "
3) Excellent condition original Opel resonator $130 "
4) NOS middle muffler, I think its for kadett but would work $75 "
5) NOS Rotor think for kadett $45 "

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Need an oil pressure sending unit

and some advice. WHich assembly lube and break in oil should I use?

And I would like to do the front spring but do not want to sacrifice too much ride comfort. Stick with the 1" drop intermediate correct? Or does 2" drop not too much rougher?

thanks
I went to the intermediate (1" drop) spring and ride difference isn't really noticeable to me at all. In fact, unless your GT is riding high in the front, I think there are better ways to spend $175. Seems not a whole lot different from stock to me, but my GT is more-or-less level now where it was a tad nose-high before.

41 - 60 of 296 Posts