Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after months of getting my GT painted and road worthy,, I finally toke it in for inspection... went to my local GM dealer, and ask if I could dive the car in to the bay.. of course they said no! that there insurance wouldn't cover me... which is bull.. for my car insurance covers me anyway.. so I concede and let them take it in... ,,after a wait of 15min.. this big dirty young guy comes out and ask for my keys. ok I said but have you ever driven an opel gt before? for which he replied what that ? , so i said! come on, and we well see if you can even fit in the car,, (I wish I had a bath tub with me so at least he could wash up) well as we approach the car he says he has never seen one of this before! Nice car. than I ask him if he has ever driven a standard, and if he knows how to tune on the headlights.. He replies yes.. and then NO! so I check him out on the cars Light system.. get him in the car and he drives away.
damn there worried about me running my car into there building ,, and all I worried about them running there building into my car .
after about 20min, I pay my bill and go look for the car, which is still in the bay and this guy backing the car out and stops then backs up some more and stops.. :confused: so I went in to the bay and ask if he was having a problem backing up? which he replies no! but every time I go to back up the wiper come on, and he is playing with the switch :confused:, and gets out of the car, and says! I must have a problem with my wiper system. then I say! NO its you big feet? when you put down the cluch you foot is hitting the washer pump, and it turns on the wipers and you playing with the switch just complicated the matter.. I jump in, put it in gear and back out.. as I was driving out the old sales person was standing there ,, I asked him if he ever seen one of these car before... yea! I used to sell them.. good! I said Next time you get to do the inspection. and drove off

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Cute story. This is the 3rd year my GT has been in for inspection. In Texas you have to take it into a certified state inspection station for safty and emissions. They pay the inpectors a little over the minimum wage so each time I go in there are brand new people working there. The first year they did an emission check and a safety inpection. I had to show them how to flip the lights and explain each of the switches. GT didn't pass the emissions but did pass the safety. They must have thought they had an expensive tune up charge for the old fat guy with the expensive sports car. When I pointed out to them that since the car is over 25 years old, it didn't have to pass the emissions test, they didn't believe me. Took a phone call to the state registration office for them to confirm it. Boy were they pi$$ed. Second year- same thing. I must have become known, for this year, all they did was hit the brake and sound the horn. 45 seconds later they asked if I was ready to pay for my "inspection" fee. :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok, I've been reading about everybody working on and hoping thier cars will pass inspection. Even when I went to the Colorado gathering it was a topic of discussion. I'm also helping a friend get past one in another state. Now for the funny part. Where I live the car doesn't even have to exist to have valid tags for it. The total inspection on both the wagon and GT was holding the title up to the light to look for a watermark. No emissions, no safety check, they didn't even check if the cars even existed. I could burn coal in them or have a motor that smoked so bad it killed every bug for miles. I have a 5 year tag on the GT and will do the same on the wagon. Next time I will have to deal with anything for plates on an Opel would be 2009 or 2010. If I lived 45 miles north of here I would have had to change the motor in the GT to get it to pass. You'd think there was a method to my madness, or at least choice of where they were registered.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
PA is almost as bad.

If you register your car as a daily driver, you have to pay an annual registration, inspection and emissons fee. The emission fee only comes into play if you live in or around Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Bethlehem/Allentown or Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. The rest of the state doesn't care if you are smoking like a steam locomotive

If you register it with a classic tag(15 yrs or older), you pay a one time registration fee but still have to get the inspection & emissions. There are limitations on when you can drive it.

If you register it as an antique(25 years or older), you pay a one time registration fee and that's it. There are also limitation on when you can drive it.

Since I only put approx. 500-700 miles on it a year, guess which I went for :D

Jeff

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
The only "inspection" I had to deal with in Ohio was checking the Vin numbers. The only time I had a problem with it was when I wanted to get the title transferred on a GT that was not running at the time. I had to wait until the car was actually running so that I could take it down to the DMV and have them inspect it. Usually that trip involved me leaving the "flavor of the week" piece of identification at home. I swear every time I go to the DMV they require a different set of IDs than the last time.

My current GT isn’t running and I need to go get the plates/title next week and I have NO idea what Illinois DMV is like. I hope they don’t require an emissions check. I plan to signify it as my primary driver because the only other car I am going to have is a Corvette, and the primary ins on that is ungodly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dave,
You would've only had to change the motor once :D With collectors tags, here in the springs, it only needs the emissions test once to get the collectors tags...then you just have to renew every 5 years, with no emissions test required. I never needed a "safety" inspection.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
in GA, we dont have to do an inspection as the car is too old. YAY

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Inspection? We don't need no steenkin'i inspection. I got standard CA plates on Willit?, have to register each year, keep my insurance current and I'm all set. That goes for every car over 30 years old here. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts