Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen lots of driveline choices for Devin sportscars, but this is a new one on me:

"This 1958 Devin is a roadster built by Devin Enterprises in El Monte, California, that was purchased by the seller’s father in the early 1960s. The fiberglass body is finished in red over a tubular steel chassis, and the car retains a 1.9-liter inline-four and a four-speed manual transmission sourced from a 1970 Opel GT.

The car was previously titled as an Opel GT, and the Opel chassis plate is included in the sale."

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
It looks like a poorly designed sports car. If you can’t clear an inline 4 under the hood, you’ve got problems. A Cheetah looks better than this car and I’ve never liked the Cheetah.

·
Can Opeler
3,570 Posts
It looks like a poorly designed sports car. If you can’t clear an inline 4 under the hood, you’ve got problems. A Cheetah looks better than this car and I’ve never liked the Cheetah.
It’s a 1958 car. All the sports cars from that era are a little awkward. Also sports cars from the 50s/60s aren’t meant to have a giant cast iron engine like the 1.9L. They were designed for small less than 1500cc engines. The 1.1L would work really well in this car.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
470 Posts
I like it, it would be a lot faster than a GT and it might handle better too.

·
Can Opeler
3,570 Posts
I like it, it would be a lot faster than a GT and it might handle better too.
I wouldn’t be so sure. GT has much better aerodynamics and suspension based on what I’m seeing.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Lots of Devins had V8s put in them.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
It’s a 1958 car. All the sports cars from that era are a little awkward. Also sports cars from the 50s/60s aren’t meant to have a giant cast iron engine like the 1.9L. They were designed for small less than 1500cc engines. The 1.1L would work really well in this car.
No I think the real issue is this is a kit car from the 50’s. It’s a poorly thought out design, fabricated by someone that lacks the skill to create a masterpiece.

The Corvette was originally a lot like a kit car in how it was designed and built. The difference is, there was a team of designers and craftsmen to make it. A good design takes a lot of time to create but that doesn’t require a whole team of people. Just lots of refinement to go from crude design to finished design.

·
Non Civilian
2,100 Posts
Wow, no. Way too many compromises made in its design. A parade car at best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts