Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend on craigslist I bought all of the opel gt glass from a guy in Maryland for $75.00. It included the rear window w/o defrost, both side pop out windows, both doors, and front windshield. The front windshield was so bad I actually left it there with him. It was coming delaminated and moisture was in between the layers of glass. Also there were wipers gouges so bad on the driver's side I decided just to let him keep it. With the said the other pieces were in remarkably great condition with very little scratches. I brought them home and cleaned them, polished them and now I have a few questions. I didn't see what year of car they were parted from; however, I think it was a 73 based on the tail lights. (manta style). I have a 72 and the original glass has the stamping on it stating "SICURSIV" in a dashed box with 1SM below that. The pop out glass I bought both state "Glaze Securit" in a circular pattern. They also have two dimple mold marks on the vertical edge closest to the door pillar. Is this replacement windows or are these the stock vendor for the 73 model year?

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
The dimples are normal. It appears that there were several different manufacturers. I have a NOS one that says Duro Glass on it. I have another set that says something that starts with an "S" that I think is German for security. Neither is exactly like yours. My car is home so I don't know what is on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I've noticed that "SICURSIV" seems to appear on the later GT's. I've also noticed that it appeared in two different size fonts.

"Securit" brand is the one markandson was referring to.

Harold

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "glaze security" stamped windows are the ones I bought and they are in great shape but they have the dimples that I find unattractive. My 72 came with the "SICURSIV" stamped windows, but have very deep scratches in them that will not buff out with glass polish I bought from Groits garage. I almost prefer to keep my original pop out windows because of the dimples on the better ones. When I bought the glass it was so dirty that I didn't notice the dimples. :sigh:

Plus all of my other glass is marked "SICURSIV". what would you use Harold?

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Plus all of my other glass is marked "SICURSIV". what would you use Harold?
Not a fair question. :haha: I prefer to keep it all matching BUT if my glass was badly scratched especially the easily changed out vent windows, I'd go with the best I had until I could find what I wanted.

JM2CW,

Harold

1 - 6 of 6 Posts