Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my finished video about converting an Opel GT to electric windows using '96-'00 Honda Civic Sedan electric window mechanisms. Many thanks to Charles Goin for some nice editing. Check out his other videos about engine related projects and SUBSCRIBE to get our latest how-to videos and to give us incentive to make more.

·
1,657 Posts
This video is well done and easy to watch and stays on point. It should give confidence to anyone with basic skills to install power windows on their GT.
Videos are a long and tedious process but this one works great.
It almost makes me want to do a "How to on Opel cylinder heads" .
I have watched Charles Goin's videos but he has not quite got there yet, his information is helpful he can be hard to follow.
I am glad he has taken the job on to do videos and he has said he is still working on them.
John

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The editing takes an enormous amount of time. He spent an easy 6 hours doing this 15 minute video. Taking out all the "Ummms.." and "Uhhhss...." and pregnant pauses takes time. It's not like we work from scripts or even outlines, we're just going on screen and winging it and hoping that we touch on all the points we want to make. We're going to redo the Edelbrock pump video as a How-To and I'll be doing one when I make the new dash. The dash will require multiple videos taken over a period of time and then edited together.

·
Can Opeler
3,421 Posts
Yeah making these videos gets old fast. People don’t realize how hard it is to edit hours of footage into passable content.
Good video Gordo. I look forward to more.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Opel Key Master
5,180 Posts
It was okay until you decided to throw away a perfectly good window crank mechanism, and suggested that everyone does the same. It’s like the recent videos of the kids smashing a what appears to be a good windshield. I could see a common part that doesn’t fail that there is a ton of, but people call me all the time for window mechanisms. Offer it up for free or donate it to the Carlisle parts auction. It’s fine that you don’t care about original parts, but it could help out someone else just getting into them and needed that part

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
477 Posts
Gordon, wanted to thank you for the video. In the event that I or some else wants to add these in the future you have made a difficult job much much easier. Well done video. Thanks, Carl
Also, I am in need of the passenger side crank if you are willing to part with one of your collection.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
384 Posts
The trash can part reminds me of the "Look Around You: Sulphur" video.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A guy named Uwe Klippert works/worked in Opel related companies and he mentioned that he had some stories and diagrams about the doors/windows/regulators and I asked him for some of that information:

<<<
Uwe Klippert
The company I am working for produced them. At this time the brand name was Atlas. I have the original drawing and some stories from colleges who visited Opel because of issues with the regulator.
<<< The design of the Opel GT doors is very much progressive. The complete door is one pressed steel part. Not an added glass frame. There is no small triangle glass in the mirror edge. The glass is formed in three dimensions. The concept of the window regulator is simple, but a bit risky. With only one guidance rail the glass is quite long. It is important the lifting point under the glass is before the center of gravity and friction of the glass. So the glass has the tendency to go backwards into the long rubber channel. In case of too much friction in the front channel, the glass will be tilt forward and will stuck. >>>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts