Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm Tom C's friend from Pittsburgh. I met several of you at Carlisle over the years and always felt welcome although I was there with non-Opels. I actually knew Tom from the Mustang club but we bonded over our foreign cars. Anyway I have stumbled on an Opel GT project car that needs a new home soon. I will be able to get pictures and more information next week. It's somewhat disassembled but appears to be solid and supposed to have most parts. It is currently stored inside of a nice shop but will likely be evicted soon. I'd hate to see it deteriorate, hopefully someone will be able to get some use (or value) from it. Needless to say, "bring a trailer".

Best wishes,

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My original post was basically a "head's up/intro" message, now I have some pictures and a better description, should I move to a classifieds/for sale thread?

* Not my car * I am just trying to find it a good home. The owner has the title as well as the windows and lights. the engine turns (by hand) so not seized. As noted, the car is in the Pittsburgh area and has been stored indoors but losing storage space. I will be happy to get any questions answered and willing to assist with logistics.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My original post was basically a "head's up/intro" message, now I have some pictures and a better description, should I move to a classifieds/for sale thread?

* Not my car * I am just trying to find it a good home. The owner has the title as well as the windows and lights. the engine turns (by hand) so not seized. As noted, the car is in the Pittsburgh area and has been stored indoors but losing storage space. I will be happy to get any questions answered and willing to assist with logistics.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I'm sure a mod could relocate this for you to the cars for sale section.
What is looking to get for it?
And how does underneath look?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks pretty solid underneath. There's some surface rust, nothing too scary. This car deserves a new life on the road.

Again, it's not my car. I believe they are looking for ~$1,000 obo, which seems realistic to me.

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
I would look at that car very carefully. The floors and rockers are not original. I'm not saying there is hidden structural issues. That looks like a lot of square tube running from the center of the car out to the sill/rocker, but that also looks like square tube. The outer rocker panels have been replaced...look at how flat/square the very bottom of the wheel lips are where they meet the rockers.

This may be a car that has had some non-oem structural repair and/or reinforcement for more power.
If done well, it is worth considering if it's otherwise rustfree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not an Opel expert so I don't know what is/isn't correct but it seems to be pretty straight. The body panels line up well (without handles or latches), doors open and close easily - no sagging or binding.

I will be glad to take additional pictures if anybody wants to see something specific.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
Hi Andy,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing. There are plenty of fairly ratty cars that pop up with little more than a hosing down after being pulled from a field and presented as 'restorable'. I just wanted to point out that this car has had some work done, more than what is typical and worth investigating. It might never be a show car, but may be quite suitable for a non-original project.
Especially for the price.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It does look like they were on the path to something cool,
Underneath has ben modified for strength and appears they have done a pretty decent job at it.
Interesting moving the antenna location to the rear drivers side and deleted the original location

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
The square tubing under the floors could mean that the body was being prepped for a convertible/Targa conversion?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
Possibly. I would suspect rotten floors and rockers with no correct sheetmetal on hand, but square tube and a welder collecting dust in a corner are cheap and easy.
End result may be nearly the same.
The important thing is to examine the weld quality and how well the new stuff ties into the unibody...or was it a quick patch job. Seems like a lot of work for just patching.

·
Can Opeler
3,754 Posts
The square tubing under the floors could mean that the body was being prepped for a convertible/Targa conversion?
Typically the jacking points are tied together for a targa conversion. This looks like they just wanted to add strength after doing a flat sheet metal floor.

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
This may be true, but, unless you got a LENK Targa kit, everyone that did their own Targa kit did their own type/style of bracing. Ask Steve Daniels...I also have J J Wheatleys bracing diagram somewhere in my "stuff"

·
Can Opeler
3,754 Posts
This may be true, but, unless you got a LENK Targa kit, everyone that did their own Targa kit did their own type/style of bracing. Ask Steve Daniels...I also have J J Wheatleys bracing diagram somewhere in my "stuff"

I did my GT similar to Steve, but I didn’t weld anything at the top. I should have cut the floor out like he did, but I was 19 so… still it’s stiffer than any other GT I’ve driven.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts