Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i hope i choose the right forum for this post. I have been really interested in racing an opel gt on a track and i was wondering if i wanted to really get into this what i should expect money wise. Like "For $XXXXX u can expect a car with _____ handleing and ______ power etc." and if you could give me a few of the price ranges for the different levels that would really help me think this all out.

Dan

PS: Prices including that I have a car i can do stuff to.

·
315 Posts
If you are going to race in SCCA, the car can be made to WIN in the classes for which it is clasified: Imroved Touring "B" (ITB); F-Production, and GT-4. I currently race (and win) in F-Production and GT-4. In the past I raced (ITB) and won 5 seasons championships.

ITB is in "theory" an improved stock class. The engine can be "blueprinted" and the suspension can be up-graded with springs, shocks, and bushings. The reality is that there is a LOT of prep to be done.

F-Production allows significant engine and suspension modifications. Tons of work and real race parts

GT-4 is the most liberal. With the exception of limiting displacement there is almost no limitation on what you can do to the 1.9L engine (no forced induction). The chassis can be a full tube frame race chassis with all race suspension and rear end.

If you want to win (second place is just first looser), the costs are as follows:

ITB - A big bucket of money fo start with (build the car). Then a small bucket of money each year.

F-Production - A wheelbarrow full of money to start with... and every year.

GT-4 - If have to ask, you can't afford it. Mortgage you house... mortgage your life... and indenture your first born son(s).

The above is really the best truth I can tell you, but to give you an idea, here's the size of some of the buckets:

ITB - $20K to build a car that will run "up front". You will need a set of tires every 2 or 3 races - $500/set

F-Production - $50K to build a car that will run "up front"... More if you want to win at the "runoffs". To run up front at "Nationals", you will need a set of tires every race - $800/set

GT-4 - $100K+ ---> $800 set of tires every race

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for giving me some info. from the "front lines". Also i was wondering what (if any) money is to made racing in ITB? DO u get money for winning or u need sponsors? Both?
thx for info

·
315 Posts
In this country, road race sponsorship is virtually non-existant. There are some contingencies (we are putting together and engine contingency... and maybe and Opel contingency plan for next season. The only real sponsorship is at the very top levels of NASCAR, CART and IRL... Sponsors require a return on investment. To get a sponsor, you must PROVE that you will make them money.

Except in NASCAR Winston Cup, there is no purse in racing in this country that will even pay the race day expenses. This is true of CART, IRL, and all lower NASCAR classes. In SCCA, only the "PRO" races have a "purse"... and if you win the race, it won't cover the Pro racing expenses.

In SCCA, NASA, and other "club racing" (including Nationals) you are racing for points, and a trophy... and bragging rights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do these race teams make money to keep doin what they doin? I mean the pro drivers, how they get paid? I want to eventually get ito some of the races they actually show on speed channel. i think its the grand am touring division or shomething, they put all their time into racing where does the money come from?

·
315 Posts
Grand Am and Grand Am Cup is one of the worst. "Pro" racing in Grand Am is really a misnomer. I got my Pro licences (SCCA, GrandAM, and FIA) in 1999 with the intent to go "Pro" racing... I found out what the truth was and only did a couple of "Pro" races.

In GrandAm, only about 10 of the drivers make a living driving race cars... only about 10 more are paid something to drive... only about 10 more get to drive for free. The rest pay to drive. And the team owner gets the miniscule purse.

In GrandAM Cup, I don't think anyone makes a living as a driver. At least 1/2 the field of drivers pay between $5K and $20K per race to get a "seat". About 35% of the field drive their own cars... and rent out drives to help offset the cost. The remaining few may break even on a given race weekend... if they are lucky.

"SpeedVision" (SCCA's equivalent) is about the same.

The reality is that "Pro" racing except the top levels NASCAR, IRL and CART is a rich persons HOBBY. And in a lot of cases, Daddy has a lot of money to pay for their son/daughter to try to become a "Pro" racer.

All that said, have you ever considered what people spend on fishing boats, ski boats, classic hot rods, snow sking... even golf club membership? Racing is no worse than any other hobby taken very seriously

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, thats just the kinda stuff i anted to find out about. But now movingaway from the grand am and scca, how would one get into formula 1? is that a completely diffrent schoooling and learning to drive? They get paid alot though, and its like road racing but with real racecars, not a porsche or ferrari.

·
315 Posts
Been there, tried that too. But here's the "drill".

First, you go to Great Britan... buy a $7K - $10K Go-Kart. (used price and I'm not kidding.) After a coupld of seasons of running up front, you buy an F3 (formula 3) or Formula 5000. Both cost about $75K. Then after you win the F3 or F5000 national championship (BRAC) you might get a test drive with a F-1 team... as long as you bring around $10 million in sponsorship.

Or if your Daddy has lots of money (like owns Italy or something), you can buy a ride with one of the lesser teams in their "second" car... forget Ferrari, or McClaren, but Arrows, Benatone, or similar... Bring at least 50 million. Really, these are "paid for seats".

Or, win the CART championship. Then you may get a paid "ride". Ala Alex Zarnardi, Michael Andretti, or Joch Villnerve. Alex and Michael were "dismissed" after one season in F-1.

I raced in the "ModSports" national championship in England in the late 70's. I placed 3rd in the championship my first year. I was foolish enough to approach March abouit a ride in their "works F3". They told me that if I won the Formula Ford championship the next season that they would let me pay for a F3 ride.

A friend/close competator of mine, Ryan Hampton won the GrandAM SRPII Rolex series championship (I think it was 1999, but maybe 2000.) In essence he paid for the "rides" to win the championship... and he still has to pay for "rides".

One last "truth" about "pro" racing. I went to Daytona test days in Jan of 2000 looking to buy a "seat" in the Rolex 24. I had arranged with Archangle Motorsports to do a test drive. (Archangle Motorsports was at the time THE top SRPII team... Ryan Hampton won his championship with them)... Anyway... when I got there I found out that there were a few drivers looking to "buy" the seat. I asked the owner. Michael, how he would decide which drivers would get the seats (4 drivers for the 24 hour race)... was it either the ones who did the fastest laps, or was it the ones who did the most consistant laps. His answer was... "I don't care what the times are. The first one with the money gets the seat". The "seat" was $35,000 per driver... I watched on TV.

·
315 Posts
Yea... my cable company discontinued the Speed Channel (*&*$()&#Y*) cable #%)*(&)# company)

By the way, I ment to add that Michale Schumacher won the F-1 world championship with Beneton... then, announced that he would go to another team but his price was $1,000,000 per race. Ferrari took him up on that. I don't know what he makes now, but I'm sure that it is a lot more than that now.

So, dispite the costs, if you really have the dream... and the skill... and the dedication, it is possible to get there. Niki Lauda borrowed the money from a financial institution to go F-3 racing in England.

·
Registered
14 Posts
he gets 40M from ferrari...and then another 30M from sponsors.

amazingly enough, ferrari actually makes money in F1, they spend $410 mil a season, and come out on top, sorry to change the subject a little.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a friend that runs "Outlaw" Formula cars. Still trying to figure out exactly how unrestricted his cars are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts