Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, here is my new toy! I've been working on this Opel GT almost 2 years.
I want to share my ragtop concept and get some feedback.
I also want to see if anybody did something similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hi guys, here is my new toy! <SNIP>

VW did it in the 40's through sometime in the 60's. They used more folds which let the fabric lay flatter (see pics). I would be concerned with "flutter" the way yours sticks up. How fast have you driven it with the top open?

I do like the John Wyer Gulf Porsche paint scheme, an interesting choice with the VW roof!

Where are you in Phoenix? I'm between Scottsdale and Rio Verde in the north east corner. Do you know about the 1st Saturday of the month car "show" near Doubletree Ranch? The GT would really draw some attention there!

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Nice work on the top. Just wondering if you had to do any reinforcement to the body when you cut out the roof? I guess with the back and front of the roof still attached to the body you didn't need to, but I am still wondering. Good looking car.

Bob

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,631 Posts
Been thinking of doing that to a Manta or even my Kadett.. how is it on the interstate ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi guys, here is my new toy! I've been working on this Opel GT almost 2 years.
I want to share my ragtop concept and get some feedback.

Hi.. I love your car... the top is so cool.. I am in the process of completing the bikini top for my roadster, so seeing your pics is giving me some additional ideas...

A few questions:

1. How did you secure it into the front windshield frame
2. What material did you use for the top

Thanks... again really great

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,631 Posts
Hi.. I love your car... the top is so cool.. I am in the process of completing the bikini top for my roadster, so seeing your pics is giving me some additional ideas...

A few questions:

1. How did you secure it into the front windshield frame
2. What material did you use for the top

Thanks... again really great
Wouldn't work on Murphy.. need a roof to attach it too..

Sliding Ragtop Kits Homepage

It's usually done by cutting the thin sheetmetal out of the roof and leaving the frame

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some ragtops from different vehicles.

First I want to mention that I wanted to do something unique. I spent so much time to research ragtops.
The original idea was to cut the roof all the way down and drop the rear window similar to the VW bug. Later I dropped this idea because I have to do a lot of reinforcement and safety is under question. I also played with idea to have rear window 1-3 inches opening at the bottom, or completely detached.
Slide roof was also option, but Opel Gt have no space for this.Please note picture Matra-Simca 1976 the roof is almost Opel Gt size. It is very short and ragtop opening is very small. Then I decided to do something similar to Bmw Isetta and Fiat 500.
After all my efforts to create the ragtop this is the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is some answers on the questions

First test drive was on Thanksgiving. I made neighborhood circles and then short test on highway 51 Phoenix. The door windows all the way down and open rag top speed 60 miles. Didn't feel any flutter and performs well. I was so excited and forget to do test drive with closed roof.
The top is made from marine vinyl and probably I will make the second one with better material. If I'm not mistaken this vinyl will last 3-4 years at Arizona sun without additional UV protection.

The sides of the roof are reinforced with flat metal bars. Inside 4 separate pieces and outside the black frame on the pictures. The main piece is an oval pipe and is located behind the seats. It is also a hinge. Front part is made from wide flat metal bar with two welded flat head bolts. The frame has stoppers preventing from flipping and each side 3 “locks”. In fully open and lock position I can shake the vehicle strong side to side holding only the top.
No side water collectors. I don’t need them in AZ climate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
WOW! That's a lot of work for the design, then building it even more. Using a 4-bar linkage is something I would have never considered. Very interesting design, I'm even more sure you should plan on a First Saturday of the Month Show sometime next year (if not today - the 5th). Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car in person!

Doug

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Here is the video showing the creation of Opel GT Ragtop! I hope is going to be interesting for you and it will get more Opel GT's Ragtop on the road!
https://youtu.be/XBPfBw3kp2s
It's really nice to see how you built that. Did you look into the Webasto roof, which yours seems to be modeled after? One of our members (OrangPeEL) installed one back in 2004 I believe, and posted photos and such at:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2d-body-repairs-modifications/33425-sunroof-gt.html#post326345
and
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2d-body-repairs-modifications/33425-sunroof-gt-2.html#post419137

The url link I had for Webasto seems to be defunct, but I found
Tudor Webasto Sunroof applications
which still shows an application for a Webasto roof for a GT.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That looks fantastic, Daniel! I'd love to have that myself, although I'm afraid I could never bring myself to cut a hole into the roof of my beloved Opel. Your results speak for themselves though.

BTW, GTRoy and I are trying to organize an Opel cruise in Arizona in October. We're still up in the air as to where we might go, though both Payson and Route 66 have been discussed. We'd love to have you join us,so please PM me if that interests you. I'm personally up for going anywhere in the state, as I can trailer my car to the starting point if I need to. I'm up in the Verde Valley, near Sedona.

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Daniel, is that the same GT as shown in the restoration videos parts 1 to 6, starting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W39E8m4de8

The username shows up as "Old Times Documentary" for both videos, but the restoration shows a gold'ish-yellow GT. Is that just a YouTube channel that you posted your video on?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts