Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a set (L & R) of rear 1/4 panels for a GT. They don't have to be perfect, a little rust at the bottom or small dents is okay, but I would rather not spend any time on any previously repaired panels (bondo, etc).

Thanks,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Bob;
I might have a decent candidate for the passenger side as I recently cut up a GT that a tree jumped out of the forrest and bit it. It got bit on the driver's side far worse than the passenger side. I'll get you a picture of it tonight, if you want.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BQS4 said:
Bob;
I might have a decent candidate for the passenger side as I recently cut up a GT that a tree jumped out of the forrest and bit it. It got bit on the driver's side far worse than the passenger side. I'll get you a picture of it tonight, if you want.
Gene
That would be great Gene. I need to get going on my Dad's GT. The rear bodywork is shot, and I'd like to get it 'right'. Thanks.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
ok as in cut where? I'll be doing some cutting this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The entire rear outer skin of the car is removed. It was pretty much junk, due to a previous owner deciding it would look good as a Corvette Stingray (it didn't). Mostly plywood, styrofoam, and bondo....

I want to reskin the entire rear outer body. I have another GT (rust free) to use to make a mold for the tail panel section, I think I want to do it in carbon fiber. The top deck (gas tank filler area) I will be making from scratch from steel with an english wheel, as the curves are subtle and should not be difficult. I also need to blend the rear quarters into the rear deck, as the car is a spyder (no roof), so that will be done from scratch with steel as well.
The inner structure is surprisingly clean, and with the outer panels removed it was easy to clean everything up well for paint.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Bob, I have all of that and some of it twice, including the rear panel around the gas filler. Stephen wanted the engine bay from this next one to play with. Maybe I should just cut it at the doors and C pillars. How are the floorboards?

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nobody said:
Bob, I have all of that and some of it twice, including the rear panel around the gas filler. Stephen wanted the engine bay from this next one to play with. Maybe I should just cut it at the doors and C pillars. How are the floorboards?
The floorboards on this GT have no rust at all. Inner rockers are good, and only a portion of the outer rockers were rusted (I have complete new ones of those). Strange rust patterns....

The next question is, how to get it here? I don't mind a 10 hour drive, but those Oldopelguy 30 hour type trips are killer.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I had a suspicion that either for OMC or the Bianchina there might be a good chance of getting it alot closer to you. Price for the rear clip is free so we just have to work out shipping.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I can just cut the skins if that would be easier. this is a rust free I've been kinda hiding until I knew what to do with it. I'll post pics tomorrow. I'll cut it at the roof pillars then 4 piece it. If I'm not mistaken the rear trim is good too.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
shipping/tripping

Do you guys suppose we could get a fund together to pay for me to drive out to CT, with a GT rear in tow, to fetch Bob and drag him clear across the country to OMC? Call it the "fetch Bob fund" and take donations from people wanting to see him in CA? Probably cheaper to fly him out, but I'd do it for the conversation. Cross country in a 4-door Kadett with AC and some prototype suspension parts in need of a thorough evaluation with Bob.....

After all, if my name is becoming synonymous with this kind of trip, why stop now?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Stephen, 2 questions, stopping which way? do you take pay pal? You bring Bob through Colorado and I'll set up the party. We might ever coak Jeff to come on down. Us in the midwest can be a fun group

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Uh Dave, I think Stephen means to get the rear quarter panels then go to CT and get Bob. At least that's what I gleaned out of what he wrote. For your second question, I PayPalled him the funds for the trailer, so I would presume he has an account with them.

Stephen, if Bob does consider this, I'm good for at least $25 for a start, some more if needed, but don't want to break the bank. Wait a minute, I've got a couple of retirement checks between now and then and only one dog show, so it may not be that bad.

BTW I've got a couple of Beemer wheels that need to go east. ;)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I'll contribute 100 and a nice meal, Italian ok? Bob do you feel the heavy hands of the Opelers you've influenced yet?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
loong drive

Wow, now I can't even crack a joke about a crazy-long drive, I've done too many.

While I would be willing to do the drive, and I would enjoy the conversation, we're talking about adding an "extra" 2500 miles to another 3000 mile trip, this time in August. Even assuming the pace was stepped up quite a bit from my usual 600 mile/day pace, to say 900, we're still talking about over 4 days of HARD driving in August, in an Opel. Add 3 days in CA, and 2 more just to get me home, and I'm out 9 days of work for the event, if nothing goes wrong the entire trip. Planning for delays, and a more moderate pace, and I might miss as much as 20 days to do this kind of trip, with Bob on the road for most of that too. Add to that, if something did break, there is the possibility of missing the event entirely while fixing things.

While this kind of thing could be done, it would require so much planning, luck, and $ that even I would be hard pressed to truely justify the trip. Oddly enough, the August part has me the most worried; after the heat stroke I got driving from NY to SD last July I just haven't been able to handle the heat as well and it kind of scares me. Probably not a trip to really plan on taking very seriously.

All that said, I do need to get over to OH sometime this summer/fall to deliver some parts. Depending on what kind of time crunch Bob is in I might be able to deliver parts then. I also have all kinds of room to store stuff here, so that's no big deal either.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Give me a bit and I could meet you in Kansas. my dance card is kinda full for a few weeks. We could meet in eastern Kansas.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gary said:
Bob - I have a rear clip (roof/rear deck/rear panel/quarters) If I remember correctly, it's rusted from lower wheel arches down. I'm a lot closer than Dave. It's yours if you want it. I can take some pics if needed.
Gary, I'm interested, if only because it's a lot more local to me. Pics would be nice.

nobody said:
I can just cut the skins if that would be easier. this is a rust free I've been kinda hiding until I knew what to do with it. I'll post pics tomorrow. I'll cut it at the roof pillars then 4 piece it. If I'm not mistaken the rear trim is good too.
Oldopelguy said:
All that said, I do need to get over to OH sometime this summer/fall to deliver some parts. Depending on what kind of time crunch Bob is in I might be able to deliver parts then. I also have all kinds of room to store stuff here, so that's no big deal either.
You guys are too much! I'm constantly amazed at how far people on this forum will go out of their way to help other enthusiasts. Dave, if the rear panels that Gary has are too rough, then I'm still interested in what you have there. The trick is the shipping as you know.

Now, if Stephen is in fact going to make a trip out east later in the year....that's fine, because I have a ton of other stuff that needs to be done to the car, so that won't hold me up at all. I could take a trip out to Ohio to meet you, and certainly throw some money at you for gas/lodging/beer. Or name your part and I'll see if I have it or can make it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
nobody said:
Give me a bit and I could meet you in Kansas. my dance card is kinda full for a few weeks. We could meet in eastern Kansas.
Dave ("Dances with Opels") Grant - What a guy! :cool:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
In my spare time I need to get a driveshaft made for the other S10 and set it up to pull the trailer. After that big parts will be mobile. I need to do something with the ramps on the trailer so it can take a lowered GT, then it's all mobile. There is a scary idea if I've ever had one, modified GT or wagon that can show up anywhere. Room for 110 octane gas cans or parts too.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Like this? You can have the roof too if you change your mind. I'm keeping the tank, sending unit and side lights.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts