• Honda radiator and electric fan

Votes: 9 39.1%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Were not in Kansas anymore Toto,

After much research, and trying to read between the lines, I am perplexed:dunno:. I am taking the crash course on Opel idiosyncrasies. Ive read tons of great threads on the subjects at hand but its difficult for me to decipher. Now I have a pounding :headache:
Since alot of these posts and threads were made, fellas have had more time with their cams, or had a chance to try a different one etc. Reason for my confusion is 1) I have 0 engine rebuild, or clutch experience and B) I always thought a torquer cam had a Lopey idle, and a combination cam was too hot. After 5-6 hours of hurting my eyes and ignoring my girlfriend, my search has taught me alot of guys bought the combo, alot of guys said the torquer affects idle and 1-3 guys said smooth idle.

For the clutch situation, all I need to know is if its smoother. Or driveabilty compared to stock. I understand less slip, heat, $ etc but I want a smooth running, better shifting car. Getrag is in the cards maybe next decade.

I apologize for my density and redundancy. I am trying hard to learn, I didnt know anything about lift, duration or throwout bearings a week ago. I am proud to say my block and pistons are done, just waiting on head, clutch decisions. Next week is head and balancing.

Figured a private multiple choice poll would make it easier to offer help...:hail:

3 Polls in one

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm starting to see a patterns in your decision making process. I know and understand why you are concerned of making mistakes or regreting your choices. It's a reality we all live. Many times I question and second guessed myself too. Not only with Opels but every aspect of my life. I'm always scared of regreting things.

That being said at one point one needs to leave caution to the wind, and go for it. Win or lose. This may intimidate you but I'm pritty sure that all of your decisions already have alot of info and research to back them up. Much like I do.

I love your project and the path you've carved for yourself . I'm proud of what you've accomplished. I don't beleive that others should set your path for you. I know you will make it right in the end. Good luck buddy.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normally, I take chances and go for it and never secon guess. In this case I recognize my lack of knowledge but more importantly the abundance of knowledge on this site.

Maybe you can relate to my plight. We only have 5-6 months a year to drive our cars huh pal? Its easy for our texan californian year round opeling brothers to say do more research, take your time.

I want to drive my car this year!

I value input and this site is a major part of this journey. I probably enjoy hearing from others and reading the site more than ill enjoy my GT.

In the end, I will choose a path for my motor based on the advice. It is my car, and if I only did what guys told me, I would have never painted it the color of unicorn dung.

·
Opel Key Master
5,336 Posts
I wasn't able to fit the seven blade fan with the Honda radiator. I think you have to go electric. Seems like the hose hits as it has to go in a bit lower due to radiator cap. Combination cam is a good choice. Very streetable and I have run those quite a bit. Sometimes I would like a bit more cam....but when you start that stuff...you are going to work on it more. S-10 clutch is pretty nice and cost isn't bad. Let me sell you a cam and a s-10 converted flywheel. Lol

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Normally, I take chances and go for it and never secon guess. In this case I recognize my lack of knowledge but more importantly the abundance of knowledge on this site.

Maybe you can relate to my plight. We only have 5-6 months a year to drive our cars huh pal? Its easy for our texan californian year round opeling brothers to say do more research, take your time.

I want to drive my car this year!

I value input and this site is a major part of this journey. I probably enjoy hearing from others and reading the site more than ill enjoy my GT.

In the end, I will choose a path for my motor based on the advice. It is my car, and if I only did what guys told me, I would have never painted it the color of unicorn dung.
Best bet would be to send me your car and I'll put a real engine in it!

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Keith,

Im still worried about heat soak. I planned on the 2 row. I think I saw you had fitment issues with a 3 row? Nevermind I reread your post and see height is the issue.

I dont know if it is a manta flywheel I have, but it is indexed with degree marks. To have it resurfaced, drilled and tapped for 6 bolt pressure plate etc I figured might as well get the aluminum ogts one.

I am barely above illiterate on cams, so your cam offer is tempting, but scary for me without bugging everybody.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I hope I didn't affend you. I certainly was not my aim. I guess I was trying to say you'll never know if you don't try. Sorry if it seemed other wise.

On the cam question I did experience or should I say heared what the combination cams sound like on idle. There is alot of cam lop on idle or rough idle, to my surprise (It's the cam I have in my combo but of course never tried yet.) I found this a little dissapointing because I was under the impression that the O.R 66 (Combination cam) idled some what smoother. But every car this weekend that had one had alot of stumble on idle because of that cam.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope I didn't affend you. I certainly was not my aim. I guess I was trying to say you'll never know if you don't try. Sorry if it seemed other wise.

On the cam question I did experience or should I say heared what the combination cams sound like on idle. There is alot of cam lobe on idle, to my surprise. (It's the cam I have in my combo but of course never tried yet.) I found this a little dissapointing because I was under the impression that the O.R 66 (Combination cam) idled some what smoother. But every car this weekend that had one had alot of stumble on idle because of that cam.
No offense taken at all. I understood you completely.
Your response just now is exactly the responses im looking for.

Im not a thread starting machine like some of the new recruits, I seriously neglected my family and health looking at this damn computer too long the last couple days, I hope I dont annoy all those who helped so far. I dont mean to second guess anyone. Before I drop 2500 into a custom powerplant, I need more input is all.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can I get a benevolent dictator to edit my poll?

2 more options.

(Pay 1100 shipped for Ogts delta h cam

Trust competent shop do big valve head for lots less

End of edit.)

It would save enough money to pay for s10 clutch, cam and lifters. And more! My gut tells me to give shop a try, and difference between deltah and regular delta isnt noticeable on the ole butt dyno. For me and my build anyways.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I trusted a local shop (Who seemed as intimidated, as was I) and everything ended rosy, so fare. I got a much more high perfermence head just the way I wanted, and paid less.
Like I said the engine has never ran yet. So that is the limite of my experience.
Others have had different out comes.

·
Opeler
731 Posts
What are your expectations for the car? You need to decide this BEFORE you chose your cam. If you want a nice smooth idling car, something to buzz around in and not worry about your times on the race track, go with a stock cam. With this you will be able to use "stock" settings for your carb and timing. With you not having a lot of experience building engines and setting them up, going with stock internals will help you out greatly when it comes time to fire it up. There is tons of advice and so much useful info in factory service manuals that will help you along your journey. If you have not purchased one yet, do. They are full of pictures step by step info on everything that pertains to your Opel. Good luck!

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. Ive gotten quite acquainted with jetting in the last couple years.

I want smooth idle peppy car.

I was afraid of torquer cams til I heard they are smooth, alot of mixed answers.

I Am forced to do headwork due to a norris cam that has max comp type numbers in the head already.

Chances are springs are questionable etc. If im gonna get a head worked on might as well do bigger valves, if you do bigger valves gotta get better cam.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question for you. How do you plan to drive the car, moderately or hard? All highway, stop and go city traffic or a combination of the two? Compression ratio? Stock valves? Carb choice?

Harold
Moderately with occasional beat runs. Mostly open road driving. I hate traffic.
2.0 pistons
Maybe delta h head so it might be a tad over 9:1
Avoiding decking or planing since im a motor rookie.

Im not a horsepower or torque junkie, but stock motor is not enough.

Have brand new webers 32/36 and a 38 in box.

·
Opeler
731 Posts
If you want smooth idle, go factory on the cam. Go and have the big valves put in your head with a 3 angle valve job, 2.0 pistons, port your intake and head while you have it apart. Back all that up with a nice header or sprint then a nice flowing exhaust. You can stay with a 32 36 or upgrade to a 38 weber for a little more power. Make sure you have a good ignition too! That combo will produce nice HP numbers for you over stock and still be conservative on fuel and be reliable for long hauls. :veryhappy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I understand you want the best of both worlds regarding the cam.I have the combo cam. Idle is a little radical sounding but really good on the power. unfortunately if you want a real smooth idle you have to go stock cam & your not going to get the peppy car. Have to make the decision. Going stock cam go with stock clutch. Going with combo cam go with the S-10 clutch. I should of but didn't & it slips a bit with my added power. Good luck,1 other thing if you go with the stock cam & clutch you may want to cut some weight on the flywheel. Gives you a bit faster acceleration. Good luck

1 - 20 of 65 Posts