Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Opeler
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the advertised fibreglass belly pan the same as a floor pan? I assumed so but you know what assuming does.

·
315 Posts
No, the belly pan is the pan that is up under the front nose of the car. Double check with OGTS to see if they have anything for a floor pan... but I don´t think so

·
1,874 Posts
I just sold a set of floor pans I had ordered from Mantapart a few years ago. I redid an Opel back in the early 80s and ordered thru Buick a new belly pan....they had to search all over for it, and said it was one of the last new old stock ones around. 2 years later the car was crushed in the rear, but I did strip it down and removed that belly pan...It still is in real good shape. Does fiberglass hold up as well as the metal. I think my metal one only weighs about 15 pounds or so , so there can´t be much of a weight differance. It just seeems an area that if battery acid doesn´t eat the pan, parking curbs tend to destroy them :(.

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
I have an NOS GT belly pan, and it is definitely lighter than the fiberglass version. Hoewever, it is much more fragile as well. Curbs are a definite disaster. I´ve always thought that an aftermarket kevlar/epoxy composite would be ideal for the GT belly pan. Expensive, yes, but it would flex enough to take a significant impact and not break. Fiberglass/polyester is quite brittle, and even carbon fiber would shatter on impact (rigid but brittle).

Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your looking for new parts... you could try Suselbeek Opel GT they have left and right floor pans for @ $160.00 a piece( that's 195,71 Euro Dollars but then you face international shipment too which isn't too awful but it still hurts
I believe they have some sort of outlet in the US also though ) , If used Maybe Opels Unlimited could help you out?

·
GT Owner
319 Posts
metal belly pans

Marc Van Helleputte is reproducing metal belly pans for the GT.
Cost is 620 Euro, plus 21% VAT and shipping cost from Belgium.
For those that insist on metal, it is now available.
His email is [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
I'm not familiar with laws in Belgium, but when I've ordered items from other European countries and had them shipped to the US, the VAT was not added. My understanding is that Value Added Tax was charged only to residents of the country the item is being sold from. This could make a big difference in price to those interested in this item.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recieved a new fiberglass belly pan from OGTS. Gotta tell ya, it doesn't weigh much. I'll try and hrow it on a scale if someone needs to know. It is very high quality and we are please so far. Also, they are great people to deal with.

In case no one remembers me, we're doing a complete ground-up restore on a 73GT. We do ALL the work ourselves, body, paint, interior. Be glad to help anyone we can.

We've done a number of other cars. This one is fun!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Dr. No;
If you were ever considering a front spoiler/airdam, now would be the time to do it, before you mount the belly pan. If you got a 'glass one, you could mold it in easier with it off the car, or even create your own!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to confuse anyone, just changed email addresses, so had to create a new account here. No longer DrNo, now joemama!

Anyway, thats a great idea.

Let me check into that.

Do you have one? Does it loose ground clearance?

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I don't have a spoiler/airdam, wouldn't mind one though. I'd REALLY like one for my Sportwagon. But, yes you do lose ground clearence, but, if you keep it real, it's ok

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clint the cheapest way is to find a friend that can weld and buy some good (im thinking here in VA it must be at least 14 guage) sheet metal and have em weld you in a new one.. that is unless you are looking for the completely stock pan.. if not sheetmetal is cheaper than buying one for each side for 160 apeice :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts