Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 69 Opel GT in January. It was running then. It has been stored outside at the previous owners house. Now 4 months later it is turning over, but not starting. Are there any suggestions, on where I should begin to get it started? Thanks :) .

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
starting

First you must make sure you get the basics: fuel and spark. You have to have those to run. As for it sitting, fuel evaporates, so it will tkae a few tries to get it up to the carb. The points, plugs, rotor and dist cap can all corrode up while sitting, either clean or replace. Then try starting it again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might try filling the gas tank all the way up to dilute the old gas thats in there now and check the gas cap to see if its vented, if not, try burping it every once in awhile or take it off.
If you happen to have an extra 12volt fuel pump around you can check it with a gas container straight to the carb (be rel careful with that one)
If it been sitting for a while check all fuses, you'd be surprised how often someone who knows its there will pull tiny crap off to fix theyre own car.
AIR, FUEL, SPARK.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Points made ?

Check points. If car is left sitting for a long time, points contact surfaces tend to get a light film on them from moisture in the air. Took me an hour to find this "no start" problem once back in 1957 . . . but I was just "starting" then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts