Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Can Opeler
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was news to me! The Opel GT has an adjustable gas pedal. If the pedal is uncomfortable for you this may help. This is from my 1969 Dealer Service Bulletin Binder.
View attachment SIB_69-I-18.pdf

Reactions: Autoholic

1,840 Posts
I had a customer that wanted adjustment made because she wore high heels so adjustment was made for her. A week later her husband came it and wanted pedal adjustment changed but I checked the old repair order and asked him to call his wife (It was her car) before we made any adjustments.
After the call we did not have to make any adjustments. :yup:
John

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,652 Posts
I did extensive messing around and studies of the whole throttle linkage system and the various best positions to have the rod levers positioned at for my side draft set up. Side drafts are very sensitive at low throttle, with the rods and levers in their oem positions, and can annoyingly give too much gas(ie. acceleration) at the slightest touch of the pedal. Not everyone wants to spin tires every time the light turns green. :lmao: I adjusted my linkage to fine feather the throttle at tip in from idle. It was really hard to get the range of movement to work out correctly because.......

...I'm not sure I like the idea of changing the gas pedal height. I don't know about Solex carbs, but on my Weber down and side draft set ups you can only rotate the throttle about 90*. That means that the front-to-rear throttle actuating rod can only rotate 90* before the throttle on the carb max's out and any further pressure on the gas pedal will apply stress to the carb throttle and will cause bending and twisting of the throttle linkage rods. There's no over-pressure-on-the-pedal protection. I went to great lengths to assure that there was no more than 1/4"-3/8" of space under the pedal before it hits the firewall. Generally, when you floor it, you do just that: Squash the pedal as far as it will go(ie. It hits the floor). If you raise the pedal height by messing with the vertical threaded rod, you can end up with an inch or more of space under the pedal. Your leg is way stronger than the strength of the linkage rods and the carb throttle and I have always taken care not to adjust the pedal too high.

I suppose this worry of mine could be remedied by adjusting the pedal higher as you desire and then maybe gluing or screwing a rubber bumper somewhere under the pedal to limit any pedal travel beyond full throttle.

:veryhappy

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
This is a good thread to have and Gordos final statement is a good one.

I adjusted my first two to get a full 90 degrees and stop at the floor. I broke the throttle linkage on my first one and blew up the motor because it was set too high and I "floored it" and it got stuck up there.

Reactions: Lil Red GT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.