Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, in the trunk area of a 1971 opel gt does the bottom carpet piece lift up? if so which way does it open and how??? I was cleaning my new and 1st gt and i wondered if it did? I knocked on it and it sounded hollow. need some help!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gary said:
There are several phillips head screws hidden along the front edge of the platform that screw into the face piece.
I've wondered about this myself but never looked into it. Is there any usable space under there? I.E. could a person make a little storage compartment?

·
2,054 Posts
I found a couple of those screws hidden in the back as well. Best to use a magnet to find them as the heads get buried down in the carpet loop (assuming you have original carpet).

Also, that space underneath is pretty shallow. Were you looking to utilise it?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I always left the screws out. The space is about 3 inches deep and gets shallower under where everybody cuts in speakers. It is a good spot for tools or small spare parts. I cut into it once to mount a stereo, OK it was an 8 track but it was new and cool then.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
On my AC equipped GT, another full sized panel is installed above the flat panel behind the seats, in gives enough room to mount the evaporator and fan for the AC and has a hole behind and between the seats for the cooled air to come out. It also houses the temp sensing coil, fan switch and thermostat knob for the AC. I guess they needed to raise the panel for the additional room. HTH.

Ron

·
82 Posts
I've been thinking of cutting down a RX-7 rear deck box and installing it in that area. Not much space, but it may be worth a few cool points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.