Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Sorry Bob,

Sometimes after all of the time and effort and hard work it takes to make or obtain these products we get overly excited. The thing is we don't get a break to go to other subjects. When we wake up and go to work, this is the work we do. So when something good happens, that we have been waiting a long time for, perhaps we do get overly excited and we talk to you folks out here on this website, as if you are our close friends and we say the same words that we tell people in person. The same words that go out on Facebook and go to the Opel Enthusiast Club. Both on Facebook as well as our own club newsletter. We type the same thing for all half a dozen avenues. We definitely get excited when something we have been waiting so long for finally comes in at the price everyone has been wanting. In the future perhaps we will cut down our enthusiasm and remove sentences for this website exclusively.
I really do understand why you are excited about your new products, but I don't understand a couple things. First why are polyurethane bushings "cheap plastic"? I have a GT and installed polyurethane bushings everywhere they can be put. Also have them on front a rear sway bars. They don't squeak if you put Teflon grease on them as the instructions indicate. They are tight, like riding on rails. I guess it comes down to each individuals likes and dislikes about the ride they get from the bushings they installed.

I still don't understand the concept of Stage II and Stage III springs, engines, cams, pistons, etc. Is there a defined criteria for these terms? I guess what I am asking is for you to explain what it is, and that's not to belittle you, it's to understand what the terms mean. Naming something "Stage Anything" is confusing and doesn't tell me anything. If the terms were defined with some standards to qualify the labeling, it might be of value. I am not posting this to get into a battle with you guys, I would just like to know what the difference is.

I respect the fact that you supply a lot of parts that would be impossible to find otherwise. I guess the vague definitions are the part that bothers me.

Bob

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
a bunch of old men whining about words. or are you old ladies? You click on their posts in THEIR own little subforum and then you tell them to shutup???? You guys are all a bunch of jackasses. I dont like it either, but guess what its their thread!!! It gets on my nerves too, but guess what? Im glad they offer rubber bushings!!

at the end of the DAMN DAY we are lucky to have another option for parts. especially when sometimes they offer something the other supliers do not.

who cares what they say. be glad they do it.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
a bunch of old men whining about words. or are you old ladies? You click on their posts in THEIR own little subforum and then you tell them to shutup???? You guys are all a bunch of jackasses. I dont like it either, but guess what its their thread!!! It gets on my nerves too, but guess what? Im glad they offer rubber bushings!!

at the end of the DAMN DAY we are lucky to have another option for parts. especially when sometimes they offer something the other supliers do not.

who cares what they say. be glad they do it.
JJ, if you are referring to my post, you have the wrong idea of why I posted. I am trying to find out what Stage II and Stage III are, and why poly bushings are "cheap plastic". Nothing else. I stated that it was good to have another supplier to choose from. If your post was not directed at me, forget this post.

Bob

·
Über Genius
8,937 Posts
not directed towards you Bob, youre a good guy and well spoken.

stage 2 and 3 means they have different levels of upgrade. in this case rubber bushings are stage 1, poly stage 2, delrin Rallybob bushings are like stage 9
So, the question still remains.

Why are polyurethane bushings "cheap plastic" and what, EXACTLY, makes the OU bushings "Stage 3".

Or is it just advertising hype?

Notice how I didn't have to use big boy swear words?

·
Opel Key Master
5,017 Posts
I have always been able to get rubber bushings from other suppliers without any problems, so why are these special? I had the Yellow Blaze customer request rubber OE bushings, and received all of them from Gil without any issues. I personally don't like installing them, and the ones you have pictured are just like the guy in Turkey selling bushings. The one thing I don't like about them is they are not as great as the original, notice the extra rubber that sticks out of the sleeve, this tends to get damaged when tightening against the washers of the front suspension.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What I have noticed in the last 10 or so years that rubber is no where near as good as it was in the 1970 s. i restore bikes and cars and have found that origional rubber has lasted say nearly 30 to 40 years before cracking up and drying out etc. I have bought lots of rubber recently that has gone old before I have even finished the bloody restoration. I usually complain and get new parts sent but these dont last long either say 6 to 12 months.
The same with tyres. I have a set of tyres that came with my Gt on origional wheels 15 years ago that are only just cracking up whereas new tyres last less than 2 years, just sitting there in a garage.
I know Ou say there new rubber parts are of great quality but do they actually know the composition or is it just more hype, they like hype. I dont think good rubber exists anymore.

·
Über Genius
8,937 Posts
What I have noticed in the last 10 or so years that rubber is no where near as good as it was in the 1970 s. i restore bikes and cars and have found that origional rubber has lasted say nearly 30 to 40 years before cracking up and drying out etc. I have bought lots of rubber recently that has gone old before I have even finished the bloody restoration. I usually complain and get new parts sent but these dont last long either say 6 to 12 months.
The same with tyres. I have a set of tyres that came with my Gt on origional wheels 15 years ago that are only just cracking up whereas new tyres last less than 2 years, just sitting there in a garage.
I know Ou say there new rubber parts are of great quality but do they actually know the composition or is it just more hype, they like hype. I dont think good rubber exists anymore.
See? That's what we want. We want to know what the stuff is made of.

I could make a mold and squirt some RTV in it and call it "stage FOUR" but it doesn't mean anything.

Reminds me of this clip.

https://youtu.be/9MGTq0QHWCQ

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I worked in a tire shop for a few years in the mid 80s and grew to like the smell of a warehouse full of tires. Similarly, after buying a new set of tires and parking in the garage you could smell the new rubber for weeks/months after buying the tires. But no more, you could put your nose 1" away from a new tire and hardly smell it these days. The rubber has definitely changed. Maybe for the better, in terms of wear or traction, but it certainly is different.

As far as bushings go, publish the durometer ratings and forget all the nebulous performance adjectives, the specs will speak for themselves.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Environmentally friendly and biodegradable.

The rubber has definitely changed. Maybe for the better, in terms of wear or traction, but it certainly is different.

As far as bushings go, publish the durometer ratings and forget all the nebulous performance adjectives, the specs will speak for themselves.
Almost all the new rubber bushings that I have had installed in the cars since 1990s failed quickly some in 2-3 years. The replacements seem to be holding up better but not like NOS bits from the 1970s-80s that are like iron and last for 20+years. Case in point, Manta front top arm bushes from Opel Germany failed in 5 years but the replacements that are NOS Isuzu Gemini parts have survived much longer.
Not sure about tyres, here almost all are made in Thailand, major slap for Malaysia as a one time world's top rubber producer. Seem to last about 30000kms(approx 20000miles)on average. My cars that spend time parked in sunlight do have cracking along the tyre threads but none has actually failed yet.

I agree about publishing durometer ratings, IIRC the German suppliers have done that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts