1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Stock 99+ Gt has 260. 14.0
99-01 Cobra has 310ish 13.5
03-04 has somethig like 400 12.99
I think the 94-99GT has 230-240 14.2
and the 94-99 cobra has 290-300 13.9

All times are about the best a stock car will do.
One more thing, 03-04 Cobras can hit 10.9s with about $700 worth of parts. They are extreemly quick.

· Opeler
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
were the 94 mustangs 4.6L? if so they ran 0-60 in 6.7 sec and the 1/4 in 15.1. Do you guys think a streetable 2.0L could make it into the low 14's high 13's?

· Registered
1,088 Posts
OK you guys who was the one that smoked a mustang??? I just want to make sure we keep our diet of mustangs and corvette at the correct quota. You have to leave some for the rest of us to have some fun with!!

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
a modded 2.0 as yours allen may possably hit 14's, but i really doubt its a 13 second engine without more mods, 13 seconds is pretty quick. my uncles 70 buick GSX cars all with 455 dual quad motors only hit 12.90's on street tires, thats with slightly more than 400 horse or so and a torque monster from hell. i like when he slaps some good 12 inch wide mickey slicks on the back tho, thats real fun to watch.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
If you folks have read Mike Pilkenton's 3.1 V-6/T-5 swap article on the classic opel site, one of his statements was "I smoked a couple of buddies 5.0 Mustangs who were talking smack for about 6 months". One of the reasons I went with the 3.4, just a bit more torque. :D

· Opeler
201 Posts
You probably went up against a 96-98 4.6 sohc which a really good driver can get into mid to low 15s stock. They're nice cars but this engine didn't come to life until 99 with much improved heads. Opels are great cars and a blast to drive but be careful what Mustangs you try to prey on. There are a lot of 11 sec daily driven cars out there.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
That is a funny story. When you think you have a hot car you soon find out which ones are hotter!
I have no doubt a Legere-spec 2.0 could get a GT in the 14s, but there will be more to it than the engine. First, 3.44 gears aren't gonna get it. The poor little clutch will not like this game, and from the advice I keep getting about the rear end, the Camaro diff would be advised.
Let's see one! Who wants to show us a 14 second GT? My first tip, lighten up the front end some. Move the battery to the right rear corner. Remove the front bumper. Put worn out shocks on the front, it adds instant front rise/weight transfer.
Use every trick in the book, surprise us. You might get into the 13s even!
Quick (not fast, but quick, there is a difference) cars are the result of high horsepower to weight ratios, good front to rear weight transfer under accelleration, a rear gear that makes the tach hit red in high gear just before the finish line, and good tire traction (a science in itself). Try it, it is fun.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Jeff's right about it being a power to weight issue. That mustang weighs in at 3066 pounds in stock trim. I looked up a stock 02 just out of curiosity and they list it at 190 BHP giving it a power to weight ratio of 16.1. A GT with a stock 1.9 has a power to weight ratio of 22. 130 horse puts it even with the mustang. Power to weight on my GT is in the 12s. I did alittle digging and an early 930 Porsche has a power to weight in the 10s just for comparison. The turbo motor when finished for a GT would bring power to weight in the 6 range. Getting it to hook up is already an issue so adding more power in that lite of a car will make that an even bigger issue.

· Opeler
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a 94-98 mustang Gt with a good driver will run to 60 in 6.7 sec and the 1/4 in 15.1. These years are the most common in my town. If i remember right rally bob ran a 15.1 in a 139Hp Ascona. so it shouldnt be to hard to catch them. Now the SVT cobra is a different story. they run a 13.9 stock :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.