Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok kill me now but i blame it on the bad road and having stock rear suspension
THE GOOD
anyway today around 1:00 pm i drove my opel towards deaths door and was able to do a 180 and come back out painfree (not so great for my new opel)
THE BAD
i was starting to merge onto the highway in the rain doing 30 less than i usually do for the conditions
i hadnt been on this onramp during the rain in my gt yet so it was all oblivious to me as to what was going to happen next
well i hit a transition from where they stopped putting down asphalt and started again which is about a 1 to 2 inch bump up
at about 55 60 mph
rear does as usual on a bump 9up down rollleft/right and back down for another corse till shocks stop it)anyway i was slightly turning left so in the wet weather when it bounced up the car went right in the rear caught went left at a greater angle caught and flung me perpendicular with both the highway and a semitruck and trailer...................................

THE UGLY
ok well to finish the tale
so i was dong 55 mph 20 feet away from a semi i was headed straight for
i see a what was a step on the side of the trailer and just before i hit it my eyes close
now hte next thing i see is the windshield flying out form the car yay right
ok well then i bounce around the car a little never letting go of the wheel (guess what)
no seatbelts
ok well fromwhat i know from my buddy following me and from evidence on the car and the barrier wall
after i hit the step i went right under the trailer hit the wall with
the right front
which flung me around and the right rear hit as well as the rear tire
hold on it gets better/worse
tire grabs the wall and bumper which pulls me and the car 2 feet off the ground
i come down only for the left front fender to meet the the rear bumper of the truck i get draged another 10 15 feet (biggggg gouge now
o yeah and i was facing traffic then but because i caught the bumper it spun me around back facing the right direction
and i opened my eyes again
with hands on the wheel i steered doing 20 - 30 mph off the highway and hopped out in (insert any adverb here)

ok want more details ask me this post is tooooo long
will have pics tommorrow

·
Opeler
28 Posts
OUCH! Glad to hear you are Ok, that's always the most important thing. Yes, semi's and Opels don't mix too well. A few years ago my mother found this out when a logging truck ran over the whole passenger side of her previous GT when she was at a stop light. The truck took the turn not quite right and the trailer went from nose to tail over her car, smashed it beyond repair, but even if somebody had been in the passenger seat they would have survived, tough little car. Curious to see your pics, sorry about the situation though, once again glad you're Ok.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i am going to do a little sheet metal massaging so i can put in a new windshield and the i will fix the door problem
i gotta get a new radiator the battery hit it and shoved it in the fan and it leaks but no major grovves i think i t knocked atank loose but after that i will be legal again and i will drive a beat up tore up bent up opel gt and love as much as always
and asap i will get sway bars and better shocks and tires

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'd find a part car and cut it up to fix yours back up!! that'd be a good way to kill time this winter

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Man, that is a friggin bummer! You are alive, like buck says, that is the important thing. I feel for ya on the metal work. Hopefully there's a parts car for a fender if yours is too compressed. Makes my rear-ended 71 look easy to fix. Glad your there to show-n-tell on it cause I will definently build up my suspension.
Pictures tell all:eek: .

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i was just goin to do stabalizer bars and be done suspension wise, but i think now wider sticky rubber is wanted.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have already gotten most of the roof up into place i need to get a digital cam so i can post updates
this week i will learn how to be an expert in hammer and dolly work as well as heating and shrinking sheetmetal
the fenders are the least of my worries i need to make it drivable and legal and then i will mess with those
i think tha the drivers side is a lost cause to tell you the truth
but i will prob cut off the outer skin beat the inner stuff from the point to the hood around right and use foam to build up the area and then put fiberglass on it the rest of the car is too good to just scrap and start on another body it my every dayer
i just keep recylcling the same car

right rear pic

Attachments

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have the factory spare that i will put a new tire on and use with my brand new hub caps and a good beauty ring to go where the bad rim is ill be styling then

·
1,973 Posts
thats terrible, but I am and we all are glad you are OK. she looked like a beauty before the accident. you are brave to try to fix it. windshield track things always scare me bacause they only have to be off a little bit before you lose a windshield. but dont let me scare you, you go ahead and turn her into a head turner again!

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shell never be as pretty as she was but i think i got a handle on the winshield thing if i have to and still might i will cut the roof off the gt at the junk yard
my dad has so good auto body experience
hes a master welder
and hes put windshield in trucks and cranes for at least 18 years

·
Registered
47 Posts
Josh -

I'm glad to hear you are alright. That looks like it was one hell of an accident! Man, I've got my car all stripped down and I am actually working on the suspension as I speak. I'm going to pay extra careful attention to improving the rear suspension!!

BTW, what type of wheels are those? They look really nice on the GT.

Good luck on getting it back on the road. I hope it looks as good as it did before the wreck. I'm glad to hear you are fine... walking away from something like that makes you count your lucky stars.

- John :D

·
1,973 Posts
did you have any or enough collision insurance?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
unless he has full coverage, they'll consider it his fault and they will probably be no help or next to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts