Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Administrator
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this note from Ralph Coates:
Just a note to let you know that the Opel GT is still racing.

Bob Dennard and Stan Czacki were at Phoenix International raceway for the SCCA races on January 14-15. Unfortunately Bob broke a rod in qualifying ending his weekend.

Stan, with Roger Wilson as crew, fixed a broken rocker arm and finished 2nd on Friday, 3rd on Saturday in the GT-L class. I only got to see the race on Saturday but that was enough to give me the racing fever.

I attached two pictures of Stan's car.
The photos are in the Racing Opels photo gallery.

333 Posts
It actually looks warm there. I need to move south or something. It is going to be like 7 here this weekend. I am even thinking twice about the first event here in the midwest....it snowed on us two years ago. Thats just too cold for this skinny guy.

243 Posts
cherokee said:
It actually looks warm there. I need to move south or something. It is going to be like 7 here this weekend. I am even thinking twice about the first event here in the midwest....it snowed on us two years ago. Thats just too cold for this skinny guy.
81 yesterday...

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Stop!!!

Please...no more taunting.....it isn't forecast to get above freezing here for the next 7 days(that's as far as the forecast goes...) and it's like -20's with the wind chill :eek: ...all the smart animals either buggered off South or are asleep until April....

· boomerang opeler
5,667 Posts
Rionart said:
...all the smart animals either buggered off South or are asleep until April....
its ok for you folks down south i live about level with edmonton
all i can say is thank the deity of your choice for the atlantic conveyor and the gulf stream its a toasty 43 f today

333 Posts
I know that Bob and Stan are on here from time to time, I would like to know what they think of the new GT Lite class and what they think the Opels chances are. These guys also have more Opel experence in their little finger then I do so another question. I am wanting to do LP with my ITB GT next year, I took a quick look at the GCR last night and did not see it classed for limited prep, did I mis something? also Do you think it would have a chance?

Thanks
gregory

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
As best that I am aware, the new GT lite requires 32mm restrictors per individual runner. After some undetermined time, a regulated airbox over the carbs will be required instead of the 32mm restrictors. I doubt the GT would have enough room for an SCCA mandated airbox.

· Super Moderator
15,429 Posts
madhatterpdc said:
As best that I am aware, the new GT lite requires 32mm restrictors per individual runner. After some undetermined time, a regulated airbox over the carbs will be required instead of the 32mm restrictors. I doubt the GT would have enough room for an SCCA mandated airbox.
On a tube chassis (such as Stan's new GT and Tom Drake's GT), there is usually tons of room for an airbox. And since a plenum will 'store' an incoming air charge there are benefits to be had running the single restrictor/airbox setup. I think all the power 'lost' to the rules will be regained with this setup. Of course it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back too, and the GT may have weight added to it as a result.

Bob

792 Posts
Pir

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was in Phoenix and did not know they would be there. Next time...
It is a real kick to watch Stan race the GT.

302 Posts
THE NEW GT-LITE RULES SUCK!!!! So much so, that I abandoned my GT-4 project.

For the 2005 season, the 32mm restrictors kill the Opel. Keep in mind that "former GT5" cars have no such restriction. "Former GT5" cars are also given a 5% weight reduction in addition to the 2.5% weight reduction they were given last year. So, we went from 45mm side-draft FI throttle bodies to 32 mm restrictors, and they lost 7.5 % of their weight. (By the way, the F-Production Opel is required 32mm chokes in the side-draft carbs, but is allowed to weigh 100 pounds less than the GT-Lite Opel.)

SCCA said that they will make competition adjustments to GT-Lite as necessary throughout the 2005 season. Yea... right! What that means is that those who "sand-bag"... or curry favor within SCCA will be given allowances.

One thing for sure... SCCA did not take into account the relative impact of the restrictor on various power plants... they just said "everything with 2 valves per cylinder gets a 32mm restrictor. Do not expect any "adjustments" for the Opel to correct this "blanket blunder". Despite numerous requests, SCCA has provided no adjustments to the GT-4 Opel for over 10 years... there's no reason to expect fair treatment now.

For the future, all GT-Lite (all GT cars for that matter) will be required to have a single "airbox" with a restrictor plate for the inlet. What Rally-Bob says is true... an air box will be better than the 32mm restrictors... except that it is likely that the restrictor for the "airbox" will be far too small for the Opel. In any event, the "air-box" won't fit in between the side-drafts and the fender well.

The inlet air-box requirement forces any one considering going to GT-Lite to have at least a full-tube-frame front end. This means that there will be no realistic way to "migrate" from other classes. (Almost all "tub" cars will have the same problem... not just the Opel.) So, in the end there will be fewer cars going into GT... and I am predicting that GT-Lite will loose "national eligability" due to low participation. (SCCA requires minimum participation numbers or a class is downgraded from "National" to "regional" status.) So I'm going to call this air box the "SCCA Blunder Box"

To me, it's clear that the SCCA has the pooch "firmly by the hind quarters".

Do I sound bitter? Your damned right. :mad: I spent 2 years doing engine/ induction development... and last fall I spent over $20K buying new stuff for a GT-4. Only to discover that dispite what the membership wanted... (I know of no GT-4 or GT-5 driver I have competed with in the So-Pac division or surrounding divisions who wanted this change)... dispite no clear way to equate GT-4 & GT-5 cars... dispite sound recommendations to improve GT-4 & GT-5 class participation... despite anything contrary to this bad idea... someone at SCCA made this bad idea happen. :mad:

· Registered
2,731 Posts
This sounds like very complicated, highly rules-heavy racing. I wonder if that is what happens when you stray from "stock". I do like the 12 to 1 compression, though.
Does this kind of racing ever get TV time, and where? I'd like to see it. Especially with a red Opel GT up near the front!
Where can I see and learn more about Stan's car?
Tube frame, huh?

· Über Moderator
6,782 Posts
TGSI Racing said:
THE NEW GT-LITE RULES SUCK!!!! So much so, that I abandoned my GT-4 project.
Bob Dennard, is that you? We haven't heard from you in months. Have you responded to the members that have expressed their concern with parts being purchased and not delivered? I DON'T want to get involved, but I thought that you should know...

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks Travis, I went there and sped-read a few pages, sucked in some photos and sent it to Favorites for study when my eyes don't take such long blinks...
Was surprised to see the cars are more original/intact body-wise than I expected. And the doors DO open? Does the rollcage go farther forward than the dash?
Is this the kind of race car that "Pete" had for sale in Missoula, MT (100 miles from me)? Remember that one last year?
I need to go look at it.
Are you still out there, Pete?

302 Posts
Yea... It's me. I've been "gone" 'cause working 12-16 hours / day doesn't allow me time to participate... but I'm speaking out any where this SCCA "blunder" is mentioned.

As far as parts purchased and not delivered... I don't believe that there are any. I did have one case of an oil cooler kit that was shipped (after about 6 months of waiting for parts to complete it) and after it was shipped, the customer never got it. Ultimately I refunded the customer, and I'm still trying to get UPS to "pay up".

If there is anyone who thinks I still owe them stuff, PM me here.

Bob Dennard

· Certified Opelholic
1,578 Posts
Bob ever check this out.

http://www.gt-racecar.com/default.asp

they had a poll on combining classes and i got the impression every one wanted it to happen

i voted no since they don't seem to know what they are doing and the GT has the biggest motor in class

Just tell me where to write.

The GT did not do to well in the solo II rules either

Of course if you have a spec Miata I guess your happy

Davegt27

· Senior Contributor
901 Posts
davegt27 said:
The GT did not do to well in the solo II rules either
Why do you say that Dave?

I'm excited not only about the new prepared rules, but also the switch to DP with the lower PAX. As I see it, the prepared class, including the GT has a bright future ahead

-Travis

648 Posts
Hey Guys, are you saying that we (GT) have been moved down from EP to DP?
(I haven't bought a rule book this year)

Wow, that's the same as I used to run with my Spitfire.
Full circle!
James

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.