Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I recently found an Opel Kadett 1.6 Diesel (1989) in good condition for sale. I am interested in buying it, however several people (including some Auto fixers) told me that the Diesel Series engines with 1.6 cca are problematic, especially during wintertime. They instead prefered me to buy a benzine-gasoline type engine from 1.3, 1.4 to 1.6 cca, including injection series.

Considering the fact that fuel prices are high, diesel engines are much prefered because of their low fuel consumptions.

Any idea what to do? Are these engines really problematic in maintenance and quality?

Any help would be preferable......

Thanks,

Albert

·
boomerang opeler
5,621 Posts
my 96 vectra turbo diesel was great (2 L isuzu iirc) after i changed leak off pipes that had perished it ran great and 24km/l with a little acetone addded to diesel

i dont know which engine is in the 89 kadett but think its also isuzu , service well and regular and it should be fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Baz,

Thanks for reply. In fact the 1989 Kadett is "Kadett-E" which has two types of diesel engines: 1.6 and 1.7.
The 1.6 Diesel is not so famous compared to 1.3 - 1.6 gasoline engines.

The Kadett I want to buy is similar to this one in the photo:

File:Opel Kadett E Notchback .jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opel Kadett E 1.6 D
(1985 - 1989)

Engine : - 4
Engine Code : -
Fuel : Diesel
Fuel System : Injection Pump
Engine Alignment : Transverse
Drive : FWD
Displacement : 1598 cm3
Bore x Stroke : 80 x 79.5 mm
Type : 8 Valves
Aspiration : N/A
Compression Ratio : 23.0
Output : 54 cv (39 kW) @ 4600 rpm
Torque : 96 Nm (70 lb.ft) @ 2400 rpm
Gearbox : 5 speed Manual
Wheelbase : cm
Length : 400 cm
Width : 166 cm
Height : 140 cm

Cx :
Front Brakes : Discs ( mm)
Rear Brakes : Drums ( mm)
Front Tyres : 145/ R13
Rear Tyres : 145/ R13
Kerb Weight : 910 kg
Weight/Output Ratio : 16.85 kg/cv
Front Suspension :
Rear Suspension :
Top Speed : 143 km/h (88 Mph)
0 to 100 km/h : 19.5 s
0 to 400m (1/4 mile) : s
0 to 1000m : s
Fuel Consumption* : 4.6L / 6.8L / 7.0L / -L
Range : km
Fuel Tank : 50 L
Trunk : L
CO2 emissions : g/Km

Thanks,

A.

·
339 Posts
Diesel 1.6 problematic in winter

Diesel Series engines with 1.6 cca are problematic, especially during wintertime.
Possibly earning this reputation from the Cold Start Device (CSD) in the Diesel Kiki injection pump that changes cold-start injection timing. Sister to Bosch VE style pump like on VW –but rather than externally actuated CSD, Isuzu used a piston which when worn can bypass fuel pressure or stick in bore. Some decommission the CSD; some convert to VW style control.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glow Plug relay also was also a problem for these engines,they had a habit of staying on after pre-heat resulting in the premature burning out of the glow plugs and therefore poor starting, but easily remedied with a new relay.
They are a GM engine, Isuzu engines were not introduced until 1991.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts