Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Classic Opel Community. My first post here.

I've got an Opel Kadett E 1990/91 16SV engine (Pierburg 2E3 carb)

The ignition module is the Siemens EZ Plus 5WK6 221 (GM Part No 90 340 026) and it's mounted prominently on the firewall/bulkhead.

The Haynes Manual wiring diagram shows a solid state 4-pin ignition module as a separate module from the EZ Plus control unit. Pin 4 on the EZ Plus control unit goes to pin 4 on this ignition module, and pin 1 on this module goes via a green wire to the negative side of the coil.

Can anyone tell me where this 4-pin ignition module is located? I cannot see it in the engine compartment, and following the harnesses it doesn't look as if there are any branches going through the firewall. I don't want to start pulling a harness apart just to satisfy my curiosity, and I've never had much success using a cable tracker.

(I've thought about doing a continuity check to the pins on the EZ Plus just in case the module's actually inside it, but I'm having difficulty getting the EZ Plus connector off at one end and I don't want to force things.)

I'd be most grateful if anyone can shed some light on this module.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,980 Posts
I think that your E Kadett is a little to young for this forum. Nearly all the Opels here are up until 1975 when Opel stoped exporting to the USA.

I just happen to have the Haynes Opel Kadett E Manual and it states:

Chapter 5 Part C: Electronic (breakerless) ignition systems:
Ignition module (control unit) - removal and refitting . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7

7 Ignition module (control unit) - removal and refitting

1.3 and 1.4 litre carburettor models:

1 The ignition module is located in the distributor. See Section 4 for details.

1.6 (16SH engine) carburettor models and 1.8 litre (18E engine) fuel injection models

2 The ignition module is located on the coil mounting plate. To gain access, first remove the coil, as described in Section 6.

I hope that this will help you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that your E Kadett is a little to young for this forum. Nearly all the Opels here are up until 1975 when Opel stoped exporting to the USA.

I just happen to have the Haynes Opel Kadett E Manual and it states:

Chapter 5 Part C: Electronic (breakerless) ignition systems:
Ignition module (control unit) - removal and refitting . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7

7 Ignition module (control unit) - removal and refitting

1.3 and 1.4 litre carburettor models:

1 The ignition module is located in the distributor. See Section 4 for details.

1.6 (16SH engine) carburettor models and 1.8 litre (18E engine) fuel injection models

2 The ignition module is located on the coil mounting plate. To gain access, first remove the coil, as described in Section 6.

I hope that this will help you

Gosh! Too young! I wish my brother, who owns the car, would realise that: he wants to get rid and buy a new car - for reliability of all reasons! (and lack of air bags) even though it’s only done 52k miles from new and is very reliable. I keep telling him the style is modern and the bodywork is excellent despite its nearly 30 years.

Many thanks for your kind reply; I had another look this morning and found it sitting right under the coil. In fact, it’s rivetted to an aluminium heat sink and there’s a groove along the bottom into which the coil slides, and then the 2 are bolted to the inner wing, with the module snugly hidden below the coil. Next job is to make a couple of breakout leads for this module and the distributor.

Thanks again,

Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts