1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
yeah...and then we got the Catera......

·
Registered
807 Posts
What's so bad about the Catera in general(except the lousy Opel V6) ? You could buy one cheap today and swap in a +400hp street legal LS E-Rod crate engine including a suitable transmission and monster brakes for a fraction of the price of a Lotus Omega.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Well, yeah, you could. But GM could have offered the Lotus Omega here in the first place. Or at least a Catera with a manual as an alternative to the fwd mid sized land dingys they did sell. The closest thing GM had was the immense Impala SS...interesting, but still a land barge.

Reactions: Commodåren

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Lotus Omega was too complicated and fragile, what GM should have done, was making the 272hp DIN C40SE engined Irmscher Senator a standard model option and sold it in the US with both the 5-speed R28 and the AR35(3L30) Automatic transmissions. My 2€cent.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,220 Posts
I like the Catera, I had one many years ago. Yes, the 3.0-V6 sucks, it was the reason to finally get rid (part out) the car.
BTW, Opel build a prototype (or a few - dunno) Omega B (Catera) with a V8 engine, they wanted to bring it for production. For whatever reason, they never got the cooling under control, although a lot of similar sized cars have a V8 without problems.

Dieter

Reactions: guyopel

·
Opeler
357 Posts
Reasons were cracking manifolds due to heat and vibration. (Cyl 6&8) after top speed rides. Maybe OK for countries with speed limit.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,220 Posts
Reasons were cracking manifolds due to heat and vibration. (Cyl 6&8) after top speed rides. Maybe OK for countries with speed limit.
Well, from one Automotive Engineer to another, this problem could have been solved by optimizing the design. I assume that somebody with a calculator was involved here!
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yes, a Lotus Omega sits on top of my automotive "dream-about" list. Then, after a serious gap, a Vectra A Turbo with an EDS Phase 4 engine (~ 400 HP). Then, everything I already have.

Dieter

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ok, but why didn't they in that case cancel the four and six cylinder engines too ? They also very often seem to have cracked exhaust manifolds. And we have a 120km/h speed limit.
:)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
I like the Catera, I had one many years ago. Yes, the 3.0-V6 sucks, it was the reason to finally get rid (part out) the car.
BTW, Opel build a prototype (or a few - dunno) Omega B (Catera) with a V8 engine, they wanted to bring it for production. For whatever reason, they never got the cooling under control, although a lot of similar sized cars have a V8 without problems.

Dieter
I'm not really knocking the Catera. Just the idea of yet another v6 automatic 4 door sedan in the GM line up that was notable for really two things, being rwd and a Cadillac badge. Just think of the reaction if it had had more oomph, a manual trans option, some styling cues from the Irmscher and a badge that said Nova SS, GSX or Pontiac Lemans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts