Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as the title says manta with a 2.0E cih engine, and i've tried to find info on the forum about adjusting the lifters, but most of them cover the solid lifters. could someone explain me how the hydraulic ones are adjusted? should i just start the engine and adjust them to the point the rockers no longer rattle?:confused: Someone said somewhere that one complete round after no-cap zone. Does this mean that i should adjust them so they won't rattle and one complete turn after it?
Thanks in advance mates :You_Rock_

·
Opeler
343 Posts
Sure, you rotate the engine till the cylinder you are working on is at TDC and the rockers will rattle on both inlet and exhaust. Tighten the rocker down till the there is no rattle then back the rocker off half a turn.

Repeat process on remaining cylinders.

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
Sure, you rotate the engine till the cylinder you are working on is at TDC and the rockers will rattle on both inlet and exhaust. Tighten the rocker down till the there is no rattle then back the rocker off half a turn.

Repeat process on remaining cylinders.
With all due respect, that is incorrect.
You do rotate the engine until that cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke but the adjustment is to have the rocker completely loose, then tighten until the lifter and rocker "touch" and then tighten 3/4 to one turn (book says 3/4 turn) more and that's it.

Reactions: Knorm65

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what would you mean by the touch? cause when they touch the rocker seems still very loose, it wiggles in a horizontal way alot then, if i turn the 3/4-1 it doesn't feel tight or you know kinda loose even then. but i did ajdust them and got the sound that the rockers keep, out. so now the rockers seem ok, but now i get a low frequency sound, its a total rebuild with old pistons and rings, new clutch and pressure plate was also fitted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was wondering if i tighten them too much and a valve is hitting the piston? and another problem is that it wont stay on by itself, i have adjusted the accelerator cable so the rpm would stay higher but i have to keep my leg on the pedal or turn the throttle by hand. any ideas?

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
By touching, I mean "touching"

If you want to be safe with the lifter adjustment, add a business card to the mix. You put the business card between the rocker and valve. Then start tightening while sliding the business cars back and forth. When you feel the business card "grab" then you know you are almost touching. Then remove the business card and give it one full turn. That puts you at 3/4 turn, give or take.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
With all due respect, that is incorrect.
You do rotate the engine until that cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke but the adjustment is to have the rocker completely loose, then tighten until the lifter and rocker "touch" and then tighten 3/4 to one turn (book says 3/4 turn) more and that's it.
Ah, yes, apologise, I watched Wheeler Dealers Corvette again this weekend and you are correct, tighten a further half to 3/4 turn not back off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, thanks lads! gona give it go since werent able to do anything for the past week. any ideas on the running problem? haven't touched the ignition yet, so that might be one, also gona check the injectors. is there any adjustments to be made to air/fuel mixture? or does it run by itself? also one more, where is the original place for the low pressure line for the ignition distributor? last owner thought it be a great idea to forget it. but where does it take the low pressure?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts