Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have introduced myself but wanted to open up a thread on my project to share with you.

I have dreamed of Manta A (1900 Coupe in US) ever since I can remember and after the junkyard guy who towed my Vectra told me he has one in his barn I sold my restomod BMW e21 and started nagging him to sell it to me. I got it and despite a very rusty starting point I was super happy. So here we go, we will take it in steps so I don't give a manta evalanche on this forum. Today - the pickup:

Barn being opened and this sad looking car sitting in it.

Grill was missing but was later found in the trunk next to clutter and rats food.

Yes, MUDFLAPS!

Light peeping through rear light glass.

Dirt and dust on it but finding your dream car in a barn is a special feeling and a special story so I did not hesitate on it.

Putting her on tow truck to be transported to workshop I'll be using.

Adventures ahead Manta, hold on to that tow truck!

Rear isn't looking all that well but we won't let a little rust to scare us off!

So this is it - I have picked up a 1971 Opel Manta A with 1.6N engine that used to produce 68hp but all the horses are now dead. It has a rev counter and GTE clusters. And so it began. The guy sorted the papers for it so I had no problems with it and now it was in my hands. The project not only contained my dream car but the fact that I will be working on it with my dad is a very special thing for me, dear to my heart and maked this project different from anything else I worked on in my life. This one is a bit sentimental for me.

Next time - disassembling and surprises that waited for me. :)

I hope you liked this post and that content wil be interesting to you. Have a nice evening/day!

·
Opeler
586 Posts
BTW- there was/is a guy from Eastern Europe who has a youtube channel restoring a Manta. I will try and find it and post a link.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John you are right, this is my car! Technically speaking it is central Europe - I'm from Slovenia (bellow Austria, east of Italy). And yes, I make youtube videos with it but since the one you have posted was my first one I am not that pleased with it so I wanted to share photos only. They were taken by my girlfriend so I will pass on the kind words for the photos to her, my photography eye as you will see is not that excellent - so was the filming of the first video done by her since I had to deal with getting the stuck car on the towtruck. But if you guys are interested I can add a video links into next posts where I wanted to go more in details with pictures of the bodywork. The problem with youtube is that you have to find a balance how much technical stuff to put in and still be watchable and entertaining. To be honest I shifted more towards technical stuff in more recent videos since I don't want to do this as a vlogger/entertainer but to share my project and perhaps give quallity informations to others for their projects and more people reached out expressing their wish for more in depth videos. And of course the fact that I never filmed or edited before so the first videos suck by my oppinion but I am usually not happy with things I have done since I always look at how I could have done better. I figured since this is an old Opel forum you guys would like more technical aspect and more content.

·
Opeler
586 Posts
I thought your video was good. I was originally planning to start a youtube channel for my Kadett restoration. I haven't done it because I haven't figured out how to video and work at the same time. And, it would detract from the restoration itself. If I had someone to video for me, then yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand completely, it takes a lot more time in the workshop to film stuff and afterwards you have to edit the video so it is not 6 hours long when you work the whole day and it is quite a lot of work. It is not easy to do both at same time but I wanted to try it anyways. This is also why videos are lagging behind the actual state of the car, with videos I am now at A post/ A pillar epair but the car is much further.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I find that filming takes at minimum 2x as long to do the work. Often 5x as long. Just setting up cameras to give the best angle to the work, the lighting, the fact that you have to slow down and plan it out you can't just grab and work, etc.

Plus editing.

I try to film as much as I can, but I know lots of times I just say nope, I need to actually get something done before I burn out.

It's not bad if you know exactly what to do and how to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, moving on with the Manta story!

After we got it to the workshop it was time to take it apart. I have sen nuts and all kinds of chewed playsetic and other stuff so I knew something was living in it. This is why I decited to take the car apart outside, so whatever was living on the inside didn't make the workshop as its new home. Taking the car apart outside in January was quite unpleasant. Here are some photos of the disassembly;

Rusty bumper taken off.

The other side looked better.

Freezing conditions.

Decent sized floor hole with chassis rails gone and A pillar looking rough.

All the stuff went out.

So, as @JudokaJohn mantioned it - I made some video content of it as well. Here are the links to disassembling part:

Now, please bare in mind that these are the first videos so there was a learning curve and stuff like audio and other things aren't the best but we all have to start somewhere. :)

Hope you enjoy, have a nice day!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Subscribed! As too, subscribed to Metod's YouTube channel when it first came to our attention, here on this site. Glad to see you made it to this site, to further document the restoration and hold a dialogue with members here. Metod, you hinted of some health issues on your channel and it's my sincere hope and prayer that you have surmounted that obstacle, 100%.

The amount of sheet metal available for the Manta A makes us US Opel owners somewhat jealous! Better yet is watching as you go about rebuilding this car, with an incredibly extensive rusting of structural parts. You are a braver man then most of us here! :)

This series is probably going to be thought of as THE definitive restoration source of a Manta A, in my humble opinion. It'll be worthy of a book, so one can hold it in their hands and go over each chapter, before jumping into a structural frame replacement or quarter panel repair. Think a self-published book thru a business called Blurb (or a similar, European counterpart to that company), as our own restorer Keith Lundholm has assembled, for the Opel GT.

All the best!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Mike!
Thank you for subscribing and kind wishes regarding my health - I am now recovering from second surgery and I will most likely have to wit till next year with my work on the car since I am still on bedrest and estimated recovery isabout 10 weeks for hard work.

Regarding metal parts - the situation is not bad in Europe, prices are pretty high and I spent a bit more than I wanted but the workshop isn't mine and I'd like to finish the car in a normal amount of time and not waste my time if it is more rational to buy a part - a lot of things can be done in workshop, a lot of things are since two sets of complete chassis rails is about 800€ and that is more than I wanted to spend - we have made them ourselves and documented the process so it can help future build and offer an alternative to those on market for guys who want to try and make them in the workshop but don't quite now howto approach or perhaps look for an alternative approach.

I don't quite know if I am suitable to write a book on it since there is much more experianced and more professional people than me or my dad around so I don't feel in a position to write a book on it. Perhaps an more extensive article of how I did it but again - this build and my posts here is how I did it. Far from my way being the best or most correct. Memebers of a german forum expressed that some of my ways are different from how other approach it and what is the standard but in my opinion it is not bad to have different approaches. I didn't have repair manual at first so I did not follow the same steps but got to the end result anyways. I hope this build will inspire others and give a nice content that people would read if they have interest in this type of things.

People here think I am crazy with restoring a car so far gone but to be honest, getting a Manta A here is really hard and buying it in Germany and import it is expensive and I can not afford that while I am still at university studying - but I do have the time and will. I liked the story with this one and the project seems nice because I can do it my way, make custom reinforcements and work from chassis up knowing how it was made and not buying someone elses mistakes that result in cracked paint and rust after 2 years. And I like working with my dad and friends, I think this is what it's all about - connecting people and have a good time. I apologize for any mistakes in my english - it is not my first language but I'll try my best to keep it on a good level.

Metod

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Metod, your english, both written and spoken, is perfect. Rest up, gain your strength back. We'll be here, waiting on your for the time when you are back at your excellent Manta restoration.

In the meantime, buried in these archives within this forum, are some GT rebuilds that match up to the rust and corrosion of your Manta. Worth checking in on. Here are a few: Steve Daniels most excellent Opel GT Aero recreation: Building an Aero GT

Here's Vincent's "Viny Charb's Opel GT restoration: Viny Charb's Opel GT Restoration

This site has so many other similar undertakings such as these two. I think alot of it can be transferred to what you are doing with your Manta.

All the best to ya!

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I admire your determination in restoring the Manta and in documenting your journey.

Be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @MikeNotigan ! I am recovering well so I can afford sitting a bit more behind computer now and write some posts and search the forum. I love how you guys in US give such love to Opels, nice to see such passionate people work on these cars! I already searched for some threads and problems like brakes and suspension but I am sure I will still have questions when I get to that point. In the meantime I am still in bodywork phase. I started editing videos again and hope to have more of them out in next week, I need to edit the old materls so we can start with fresh things when I get fit enough to work on the car again. And for me it is much easier here than on german forums since my german language is waaay worse compared to my english. But that what living in a small country with your own language does - forces you to learn other languages.

Thanks @jwbavalon ! Hope you will enjoy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts