Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find aircondition parts for Opel Manta a ??
I am looking for aircon parts if anyone is selling, also looking for the aircon consoll underneath the dash :)

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
Can you please tell me how many day's that you might need AC in the great white North?
@wrench, Europeans can't just add an after market a/c like we can. They have to get whatever was OEM to the car at that time, especially old cars like Opels.

@Elviam, good luck, there is no one selling Manta A/Ascona A a/c stuff, you'll have to piece it together, or, if you're lucky, find a junker here in the US, that still has all the pieces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gets very warm here in the summer :) i can just get an aftermarket from ebay but i want to do it properly, and get something that looks decent and something that actually comes from an old opel manta:)
Since Buick installed aircon for Manta in America i thought it would be worth a try , i only need the consoll :) i need to get a different aircon compressor since i have an Omega engine in mine.

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Which engine do you have? Is it a CIH series? If so I can build you the engine side for the A/C part, but a couple hoses will have to be custom. I will be installing an air conditioning system in a Manta A, but it will be a 1.9. I also have an original blower as well. But a universal would work fine in that cabin under dash.

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
i only need the consoll :)
The Manta A/Ascona A did not have the a/c in the console like the GT, It was all under the dash length wise
with the blower under the glove box. We can keep an eye out for the inside unit here, as there are still Opels in various salvage yards, and inform you when one is found.

·
Administrator
10,187 Posts
The Manta A/Ascona A did not have the a/c in the console like the GT, It was all under the dash length wise
with the blower under the glove box. We can keep an eye out for the inside unit here, as there are still Opels in various salvage yards, and inform you when one is found.
And because of that, the glove box in AC Manta/Asconas was not as deep as the one in non-AC cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a c22ne engine in mine :) i think its called SOHC. Yes thats right, then im waiting for a heads up if you do find anything :)

·
1,875 Posts
NOS Opel Manta A Dealer A/C unit

I have a NOS in the box, from Bauer Buick in Chicago, Manta complete A/C set up which includes condenser, compressor, lines, every nut bolt and switch etc as well as the under dash unit. The only thing I took out of the box was the double pulley which I put on my Manta when I installed the engine in preparation of installing the unit (which I never have) and I may have used the special lower radiator hose. It weighs a ton and can't even imagine what the shipping to Norway would be. I think it's 160 pounds. It also has all the GM instructions on doing the install. If those would be helpful to you in doing a factory type installation I could see about scanning them and posting them but they are like old road map sized so that would be a challenge. It might be something I would need to take to a print shop and have them custom size or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Manta a/c

Not sure of the type, but there is an ad for a Manta A/C unit from Indyopel2 on the ad board. The ad is under the free section of the ad board. I tried to get ahold of earlier, but no luck. Maybe you can get ahold of him and see if it something you can use.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,751 Posts
The a/c unit in my 74 Manta was I believe a Behr unit not ARA. It was pretty much contained behind the glovebox with only the switch housing visible. Off hand, I don't recall if the switch was mounted to the bottom of the dash or on top of the console.
The ducts were hooked into the stock Opel ducts behind the dash. I have seen a different version that had the plenum/duct housing that mounted below the dash and went all the way across.

Reactions: Eiviam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shipping is usually alot to norway :p would love to get some instructions on the installation if you could get it scanned.
I have sendt indyopel2 e message :)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
These old units where designed for R-12 refrigerant.
You'll need to adjust certain components for good cooling performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you think it would be possible to use modern aircondition compressor and other modern components with the old console ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks very nice :) that will happen on the Manta someday! :p But i really want the original consoll , or maybe something that looks very similar if that exist:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts