Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Manta 1.2 with a seized engine. Last owner drove it to its death because of a leaky water pump. Idiot!! His loss is my gain!!

What I want to know is if there are any major differences between a FWD 1.2 ohv engine and a RWD 1.2 ohv engine?

I noticed that the water pumps on FWD have 3 outlets and the RWD 2 outlets. Is the casting of the block different and would I need to swap-over the sump and oil pick-up pipes too?

I know I could drop in an 2.0XE redtop etc etc but I need this car to remain as close to standard as possible...

Thanks in advance
Andy

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Probably not the best place to ask since most of the guys on here has never seen the FWD models.

Personally I have to admit that I've never been too interested in the FWD models either and certainly not the ones with the OHV engines.

That said I can't see Opel changing too many of the main components in that engine as their hole reason for using it was to keep costs down and provide a cheaper alternative to the newer OHC engines.

Yes you'll need to change over the sump and a few other items but the block/head as a unit is most likely identical as the retooling for these would be rather costly. Don't take my word for it though as I've never actually contemplated this swap but I've owned a Kadett C with the 1.2 OHV and had a brief look at swapping in a 1.3 OHC

Just remember that the OHV came in several versions even in the FWD cars and you'll def want an "S" version over the "N" version

1 - 3 of 3 Posts