Opel GT Forum banner

Opel Nationals 2014

15K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  The Scifi Guy 
#1 ·
The 2014 Opel Nationals will be held at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, near Charlotte, North Carolina, September 18th thru the 21st, 2014, in conjunction with the Fall AutoFair. http://www.charlotte-autofair.com. The Opel Nationals show days are Saturday, September 20th and Sunday the 21st.

Details for the hotel accommodations, dinner restaurants for Friday and Saturday evenings and other important information will be coming as soon as possible.

You will get 2 free passes for you and a guest for entrance into the show and a free pass (Windshield Sticker) to get your Opel onto the show field! Good deal!

This is a great venue for the Opel Nationals. Bring your Opel and have a blast! If you have any questions, please respond to this post or e-mail me at CarolinaOpelClub@aol.com.

#2 ·
Just a quick update for the 2014 Opel Nationals in Charlotte...

The hotel will be nailed down in the next few weeks and will be posted here. I am hoping to get a hotel closer to the speedway than we had back in 2008. The cost probably will be a few bucks more but it would be worth it by a long shot.

Hemmings Sport & Exotic Car magazine has been contacted and they may run a short piece on the upcoming Opel Nationals in Charlotte to help promote the show for us. The editor even said if we have good HD pictures of the show and someone write an article, they may print it in an issue sometime after the show! (OK... that's cool)

Mark Kirch is helping put the show together. He is a member of the Carolina Opel Club and is a great guy. He has lined up a restaurant for Friday night. I think he said it was called "Twin Peaks"? Hummmmm.... :thinking: The other restaurant will be determined by the hotel location.

Of course, Hotel Ooooner (my house) will be open once again! We will be serving good ole' Southern BBQ, Baby Back Ribs, and other good stuff! Anyone who wants to stay here for free instead of the hotel is more than welcome. Just bring a sleeping bag and a pillow. (I would suggest staying away from Harold during the night)

Each Opel that comes will receive a "goodie bag" with nice stuff in it.

The T-shirts are being designed now by Steve Goins. It should be a great T-shirt to have!

For those of you who haven't attended this show, here are some things that you may want to know about:

1. Two FREE tickets to get you and a friend into the show on Saturday and Sunday.

2. Each car will receive a FREE window decal to get the car onto the show field.

3. Gill will be attending from Opel GT Source! Always good to see him!

4. The Opel Nationals event is to be run in conjunction with the Fall AutoFair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

5. Our show location will probably be on the infield of the race track. Back in 2008, they placed us on pit road!

As the planning goes on, more updates will be coming... Hope to see you at the show!

#5 ·
Lots of shows all summer here on the Island.. Almost every weekend. We're in the Qualicum Show most years. Takes over the whole beach front town, 600 plus cars. Of course I'm the only Opel.Then theres the Duce scoops in Victoria,Literally thousands of them.

#7 ·
We have a good hotel and great location for the 2014 Opel Nationals near Charlotte, NC!

Hotel: Holiday Inn Express

Web Site: Hotel in Concord North Carolina | Concord NC Hotel | Hotel Lodging in Concord NC.

Telephone Number: 704-979-7900

Register under "Group Code" OMC or Opel Motorsports Club

Dates: Arrive Friday, September 19, 2014
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Leave Sunday, September 21, 2014

Rates: $104.95 (It was $139.95 before group discount) Just to compare, I checked out three other Hotels nearby and they ranged from $179 to $209 per night and that's with a discount!

Number of Rooms: 35 (Cut off date is August 16, 2014. The rooms not booked by then will be released to the public.) If we see we need more than 35, we will should be able to get them...

We will receive a free meeting room for both nights. I checked it out and it's right up our alley! Good space with tables, chairs and they will set it up anyway we want it.

This hotel is much closer to the Charlotte Motor Speedway, where the AutoFair (Opel Nationals) will be held. The last hotel we used, back in 2008, was around 8 miles from the show field. This one is only a mile away and very easy to get to. It's only $5 more than last time.

There are a lot of things to do around the Hotel.... Concord Mills Mall, a lot of restaurants nearby, etc. The Friday and Saturday night restaurants are going to be very close to the hotel to make it easier for everyone!

Register early to make sure you will be assured a room. The AutoFair usually sells out the hotels in the area.

#8 ·
Remember, the 2014 Opel Nationals will be held in just 4 months! Be sure to go ahead and reserve your hotel rooms and let me know if you plan to bring an Opel. You will be able to get your Opel and a guest onto the show field for free as I will have passes for you and your car!

Here is a picture from last year's Nationals in Springfield, Ill.!

Attachments

#12 ·
opel nationals question

I've never been to such a huge car show before. If I bring my GT and want to be in the show with all of you, what time do we need to arrive. Driving up from Myrtle Beach, could be there by 11 or noon saturday. Is this too late? Once your in, can you leave the grounds anytime, or do they have set times when you can enter and leave the speedway. Plan on coming, just dont know if I want to bring the GT or not. Look forward to meeting everyone!!!:veryhappy
Greg

#14 ·
Greg, I hope you can make it with your Opel. Roy Bell (ooooner) can give you the particulars. In the past, he's been most gracious by opening his doors to those that come from afar . He is located in Concord, NC and is just a short drive to the speedway. Since I'm close by, I've been able to join his caravan at around 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning. Would love to have a new member in the Opel Club of the Carolinas. Mark

#15 ·
Looks like getting there friday night is the way to go. Party with you folk friday night, and then caravan saturday morning. sounds like fun!! hopefully I can work that out. Should know in a couple of weeks for sure:veryhappy. whats an extra night at the hotel compared to getting to be in the best opel gathering in the USA.

#16 ·
Greg... I think you are smart to come on Friday evening... You would be missing a lot of the fun by coming on Saturday around noon and if you haven't been to the Charlotte show, it would be hard for you to find us. As far as leaving the grounds, I doubt very seriously you will want to leave as it is inside a super speedway. More than you could possibly see in a few days.

You need to get registered at the hotel. If you need that information, just let me know and I'll get that to you. The cutoff date to get registered for the lower room rate at the hotel is August 16th. The rooms we have blocked off for the Opel Motorsports Club will go back to the hotel public. Believe me, they will sell out of rooms during this event.

I will be posting a new thread on registering with me so you can get your free passes for you and a guest and for your car. You will also get a "goodie bag" by registering with me so watch out for the post for registration with me...

Looking forward to it!

#20 ·
Hmmmm....there is a chance I can make this one if I time it right. My 2015 M4 is due in right around then, so no Opel but maybe a new Bimmer :yup:

#26 ·
Only 8 days left to reserve your hotel room at the reduced rate and to be guaranteed a room. The block of rooms not reserved with be released to the public after the 16th

#27 ·
The restaurants have been set for Friday and Saturday nights! Friday evening we will have dinner at "Twin Peaks" which is less than a mile from the hotel. Saturday evening, we will be having dinner at the "Quaker Steak and Lube" restaurant which is within walking distance from the hotel.

Things are starting to come together so keep watching for updates!

Just a reminder that the hotel will be releasing any rooms not reserved for the Opel Club on August 16th, which is 5 days from today. If you have not registered for a room by then, you will also loose the discount rate as well...

#28 ·
The restaurants have been set for Friday and Saturday nights! Friday evening we will have dinner at "Twin Peaks" ...
Black Friday at Twin Peaks??? Man, YOU ROCK!!!

Attachments

#31 ·
Hotel booked! I just have to decide if I want to drive the white GT or trailer the green one (and then borrow a trailer).

Roy, is there a ticket pack we will need to buy or did the RSVP on this thread take care of that? ...and cost? I just want to make sure I don't get there and have no way to get into the show.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.