Opel GT Forum banner

Would you come to the Nations in GA 2012?

• YES

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • NO

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 19.0%
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Trouble Maker
1,530 Posts
And don't forget the FIRST PLACE Atlanta Braves! Who knows what place they'll be in 2012 but it's always a good time at Turner Field. BTW, The Varsity would make a great catering choice if we plan to have food brought in. They drive truck onto your site and set up shop complete with people yelling "What'll ya have!". I've been to several functions catered by The Varsity and all have been a success.
I like the way you think!

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd definitely welcome a trip to Ga.. may I suggest that you somehow plan the date so that we could include Road Atlanta?.. I know that they have a couple of vintage events each year and perhaps we can get an Opel Corral at one of them and maybe even get on the track.. and while we're at it why not get the guys w/ racing Opels to bring them out...

· Opeler
161 Posts
Well, since GA is only a couple hours away I may be able to attend. Depends on what's going on for me at the time. I applaude the long range planning, the best way to get more attendance and we can plan. But 2012 is a ways a way and for me at least, a lot can change. I'll know more when dates, time and closer to then. I'll definetly keep an eye on this.

· Registered
22 Posts
Nats in GA

Great idea. Our GT is almost finished and its only about a 4 hour drive from Dothan, AL. As to location--Stone Mountain does (or at least did at one time) host a large AACA meet-

415 Posts
I'll plan to be there!

· Opel Key Master
5,586 Posts
I don't think it is a question of if people would come; I am pretty sure if it is the National event, folks will drive to it...including myself.

With that said, the next thing is for the "Secret National Committee" To decide if the Nationals for 2012 should be held in Atlanta. A location would need to be determined as well. I know you have stated several places in the years past, but a large facility that is possibly doing a open weekend car show might be the best. I like the Atlanta Speedway idea that was mentioned, but I would be very choosy of what event is going on during the same time. Such as incorporating it with NOPI-I do not think that would be a good idea. But maybe they have a Goodguys or something else going on??

The location is the hardest decision, because it will tend to be a 2-3 day show, and will need facilities with accomidations as well that will be open during those times. There is no reason that we couldn't find such in Atlanta. Is there a car museum that might want to sponsor it???? What other ideas have been thrown around Gene???

Also another note, if and when a National meet is declared; form a group to handle the show. One man cannot do it all-just ask Roy. It cost him over $2K personally to host the Nationals in NC...so there might be some money out of pocket until the show to be reimbursed back for all the pre-spending required. I'm not trying to run your show here, just willing to help if needed, if I'm wrong-just ignore me.
Keith

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
the next thing is for the "Secret National Committee" To decide if the Nationals for 2012 should be held in Atlanta.

Also another note, if and when a National meet is declared; form a group to handle the show. One man cannot do it all-just ask Roy. It cost him over $2K personally to host the Nationals in NC...so there might be some money out of pocket until the show to be reimbursed back for all the prespending required.
The "Secret National Committee" has spoken! 2010 California, 2011 Carlisle, 2012 Atlanta, 2013 Springfield, Ill., 2014 Charlotte, NC. After that, it's up in the air...

Keith, you are right about "one man can't do it all". I had Yvonne, Laurie and Floyd help me out. And yes, it did cost some money from our pockets but we did break even so everything went well. I know, just from the experience, I will do a few things different to make the show much better than when the Nationals were in Charlotte a few years ago.

I am willing to help in anyway I can if Gene and the Georgia group want some help... I am sure the Georgia club will make the Nationals a great show!

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Keith;
The only thing about the Atlanta Motor Speedway, other than the timing of especially the NASCAR races, is the cost. Dan (wrench459) lives nearby the speedway and has checked into it, just to use the infield is $1000 a day! So, unless we co-ordinate with a couple more clubs, that'll get expensive real quick. The idea about Road Atlanta is that they already allow you to purchase a track ride, per car, that's far more easier on the wallet. Atlanta Dragway hosts shows like "The Super Chevy Show" in which Tony (phoenix) has already talked to them, they said they will give us our own space, a PA system and such. So, there are ideas already being looked into or have been looked into. The purpose of this poll was to be able to talk to hotel/motel people and get decent rates if xxx amount of people book at their place.

· Registered
11,832 Posts
Gene and other's
AMS lost the spring cup race date..so we might be able to get a better rate. Moneys tight
and things are hard, I'll put out the feeler's again and see hows health of the track is doing.
I like the idea of going together with another group ie BMW,Mercedes,Audi/VW and dare I say Porsche as a co-host.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
any word on projected dates for this yet ?

need to work out things and get some plans and costings in to action

we will be in the states in 2012 and really want to do it during a meet if we can but could do with some info if its out there

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
any word on projected dates for this yet ?

need to work out things and get some plans and costings in to action

we will be in the states in 2012 and really want to do it during a meet if we can but could do with some info if its out there
Baz;
That's what is being done this weekend.

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm going to throw out a place and time for the '12 Nationals.

Place: Road Atlanta area

Time: early October ?

Input would be greatly appreciated!
I know I didn't make the meet today (work got in the way) but, as far as Braselton (Road Atlanta), there's a Holiday Inn Express, a Best Western, and Country Inns & Suites. I'll be getting in touch with these and see what they offer, especially a conference room. A couple have breakfeast. I'll see what kind of discount rate I can talk them into, using the the results of my earlier poll.

· Opel Key Master
5,586 Posts
After reading up on what Road Atlanta is, it looks like it would be linked with a car show going on there. Year One does one, but have skipped a year. I don't think renting out the facility would be feasible, for even the Rolls Club. Very expensive to run on the track during these events. It looks like a lot of vendors and such during the year one bit, but that comes with the planning and getting with personel of the venue. One of the classic sports car races would be cool as well, if we could rent out a large area dedicated just for the Opels and parking.
Keith

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
After reading up on what Road Atlanta is, it looks like it would be linked with a car show going on there. Year One does one, but have skipped a year. I don't think renting out the facility would be feasible, for even the Rolls Club. Very expensive to run on the track during these events. It looks like a lot of vendors and such during the year one bit, but that comes with the planning and getting with personel of the venue. One of the classic sports car races would be cool as well, if we could rent out a large area dedicated just for the Opels and parking.
Keith
Keith;
I was thinking of timing our event , with a Road Atlanta Event. Something like the "Walter Mitty Challenge". During an event, Edwin says it's like $20, or so, car to go on the track. Now, just up the road in Commerce, Atlanta Drag holds "The Super Chevy Show" (I'll check dates) Tony has spoken to these guys and they're willing to let us have a space for our cars and even provide a PA system, if needed.

· Opeler
84 Posts
Talledeger?

Here's an idea I'm just throwing out- Datsun Z-car guys had a national here-

Talladega Gran Prix Raceway - Race Track Leasing and Racing School

* should be able to get a 2012 date no problem.

* not as big as Road Atlanta, but consider this- mainly a bike track, so no WALLS or BARRIERS to hit. You can haul a** plenty fast enough to put a smile on your face without door-to-door which most people would obviously not consider in a nice street-GT... but a seat belt and a helmet and you can go plenty fast and do "spirited" laps without getting too race-y.

* access point to allow registration/collect entry fees/sign waiver...

* RV parking

* snack bar open during all events

* plenty of room for a large show, and touring laps/hot laps for anybody that wants.

* plenty of Hotels in Oxford, right on I-20

* Not terribly expensive if you divide by 50 cars..

.. I have run there with SCCA every year in the spring there and its a fun, low-key fun place to do laps, and again plenty of room for show/swap meet/whatever.

John
74 Manta

· Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
Here's an idea I'm just throwing out- Datsun Z-car guys had a national here-

Talladega Gran Prix Raceway - Race Track Leasing and Racing School

* should be able to get a 2012 date no problem.

* not as big as Road Atlanta, but consider this- mainly a bike track, so no WALLS or BARRIERS to hit. You can haul a** plenty fast enough to put a smile on your face without door-to-door which most people would obviously not consider in a nice street-GT... but a seat belt and a helmet and you can go plenty fast and do "spirited" laps without getting too race-y.

* access point to allow registration/collect entry fees/sign waiver...

* RV parking

* snack bar open during all events

* plenty of room for a large show, and touring laps/hot laps for anybody that wants.

* plenty of Hotels in Oxford, right on I-20

* Not terribly expensive if you divide by 50 cars..

.. I have run there with SCCA every year in the spring there and its a fun, low-key fun place to do laps, and again plenty of room for show/swap meet/whatever.

John
74 Manta
Only 17 hours and 50 minutes from my house. I'm there! Just don't make it smack dab in the middle of the summer...:no:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.