Opeler
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Attachments

·
Opeler
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 1.9 main shaft bearing is bigger. I cannot find that number in new or old books. I have a main gear from a 1.1 and the hole in the back looks to be about the size for your bearing. I looked in the kit section for that number as well. No dice. These bearings are a 7 20 number, so who knows. I looked back into the 50s cars
Picture of 1.9 bearing
View attachment 427971
i have determined that the bearing for a 1.1 trans is a larger diameter but the thickness (or length) is shorter compared to the #712231 bearing that i am trying to ID .
so i have determined its not an alternator bearing or a transmission bearing for a 1.1 or 1.9 4 speed.
do Opel automatics have a caged open needle bearing?
if not the only other possibility for the late 50's to early 60's Rekord models. anybody have a parts book for those models?
thanks

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
I’ve looked in those parts books and no dice. No bearings like that in an automatic. I am not at the point where I can pull apart a 1.1 transmission to measure the one out of it. But it’s definitely a main shaft style bearing

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
To the OP, at the end of the day...what does it matter? Are you trying to sell it? Just need a proper description? It’s a $3.00 bearing. I spent more time trying to figure it out than what it’s worth, so when I get parts like that...they just go into a box with the other unidentifiable parts and hope I come across it during a restoration. I did have this happen on several occasions. I was working on a wagon and there are some spring clips riveted to the rear tray, I looked at them and said I think I have these NOS...went up and had three or four of them.

·
Opeler
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’ve looked in those parts books and no dice. No bearings like that in an automatic. I am not at the point where I can pull apart a 1.1 transmission to measure the one out of it. But it’s definitely a main shaft style bearing
no need to pull a trans apart. i have already determined that its not for a 1.1 or 1.9 trans. i'm just trying to figure out what it fits maybe someone on this forum needs one for their Opel. i googled the part number and nothing comes up at all.
thanks again for everyones efforts and suggestions.
i guess the mystery will continue

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just to review, it is all rather simple, if yet a mystery. I am looking at the Opel and GT Parts Book effective November 1973. The book clearly explains that there was a method to Opel's numbering system. The first number, in this case "7" defines the part as being in the transmission group. The next two numbers are the sub-group, in this case main drive gear. The final numbers identify the part. The adherence to this system is obvious from the cadence of the number label on the picture: 7 12 232. The only difficulty is that no such number shows up in the Opel parts book in my possession. Of note, while the 1.1 and the 1.9 transmissions both have a "12" sub-category, the automatic does not. We can surmise that the part in question does not have a home in an Opel automatic transmission.

So what does this mean? According to the manual in my possession, Opel was in the process of transitioning from an alpha-numeric to a straight numeric parts identification system. This might suggest that the 712232 bearing is a superceeding number, put into the system after my November 1973 book was published. Someone with a later version might be able to find it.

There are exceptions in the book to the numbering system I described. Many of them, and the book explains that when and where a part is used from another GM car, the GM number is used. As such, I was a bit surprised at how interchangeable parts are between the Opel 1.9 transmission and that of the Chevrolet Vega.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts