Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,593 Posts
OBTW, I forgot to mention... sorry.
  • The oil pump cover bolt holes in the new covers from OGTS seem to be larger than OEM covers from back-in-the-day. This alows the cover to slide around a bit more than they used to, so try to get the cover as well centered on the pump housing as you can and then gradually snug up the bolts to keep it there.
  • I do not know if this applies to you, but for the later pumps, the gears stick out of the pump housing by about .004". The cover gakset is about .008" thick, so that there is about .004" clearance between the cover and the end of the gears. The early pumps had gears flush to the housing and a thinner gasket, if I undertand it right (I never had an early 1.9L...) This may all be covered in the the new pump cover instructions.
  • And the pump needs some prime once the cover is installed or light grease like vaseline around the gears.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Okay so I replaced the part but I couldn’t get the priming plug out.. the prior owner had rounded it off.

I tried the Vaseline trick instead where I Packed the gears in Vaseline and then turned the engine over without the coil connected for a few seconds.

everything worked and it is good now! Idling at 40 psi which I suppose is normal. Thanks again for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Congrats!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,593 Posts
Good deal! That's about the same cold to warm idle pressure that I have with the new pump cover setup. It gets less when hot but I am running lighter weight oil.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts