Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Opel GT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Opelers,

I had some rust bubble up my paint. I assume it was because the guy that prepped it used some Eastman encapsulator.
Anyway, I have stripped the affected area down to metal but there is a "cave" under some of the metal.
My question is do I cut that that thin metal scab out or fill it with something? Of course it will need some bondo to smooth it out, before primer.
Thanks in Advance!
Jay
Natural material Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory Musical instrument

·
Registered
863 Posts
More likely years of driving in all kinds of weather caused dirt and sand to pack up on the inside, where you cannot see. Mixed with water it becomes mud, lethal to metal from an age when rustproofing was in its primitive early stages. If you could see the inside of the piece, it will probably be quite ugly. Best to cut it out, as far as it needs cutting, and patch a piece in. Welding is a useful skill with these cars -- wish I had it myself...

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Umm, if there is a rusted-out area in that location that isn't properly repaired, there are likely other similar places just waiting to bubble up. And I mean LOTS of other places, that are more prone to rust-thru.

Yes, the proper method to repair that is to cut out the rusted, thin metal, and weld new metal in. But as a warning, that is a tricky spot to repair properly. Hopefully that is why it isn't done that way. I am not hopeful...

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
Rust rarely gets that bad, without it impacting other areas. You could wind up learning your car has a lot more rust. I get this feeling the car was repainted and rust that was present was just filled in with bondo.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Man, that is a terrible place to find that, A rather tricky repair it will be indeed.
Now would be a good time to go ahead and pull your light bucket ( since you will want to anyway) and inspect/replace any bad wiring ( If you haven't already) and cleanup/ maintenance the rotating mechanism.
And all though it was covered in bondo and painted over, removing the access plate (behind the buckets/ under the wheel well) may expose/ give a better idea to the damage underneath that area.
Hopefully it's not as bad as what you already exposed

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
89 Posts
It looks like you opened Pandora's box here. Like others said, there is likely other areas like this. The best way to repair this is to get a solid piece of the corner area welded in. I have done some repairs to the one front corner that had been replaced years ago, but they used overlapping joints and brased them together. They left the underside unfinished and unsealed, and moisture quickly rusted thru. Make sure the underside is fully sealed. There are a lot of voids in the nose area that are very difficult to even see, much less work on. The repairs pretty much have to be done from the outside. Which means you can't behind it with a dolly to hammer it smoother. The car also appears to have a generous layer of bondo, which is not a good sign either. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts