Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy a fair bit of Opel stuff on eBay. Say what you will about "evilBay", it's pretty darn useful to have a source of used and NOS parts, even if you have to be opportunistic, and maybe even a bit "bloody-minded". But I have learned that value is in the eyes of the beholder. Or bidder, in this case. When I see a used (or even NOS) item sell for more than what OGTS offers it for (and it takes mere seconds to determine that), I shake my head a bit. Now WHY would someone pay more than the OGTS price, when he or she could have the security of dealing with Gil and Dennis (truly two of the most righteous dudes in Opeldom).

Occasionally an item comes up that just can't be bought from OGTS, and I usually can find logic in what the buyer is willing to pay. But the following item almost makes my head do a "Linda Blair spin". Apologies if the bidders are on this list, but who the heck can justify paying $66 (and USD, no less, so that is $88 CAD!) for an ASHTRAY? Even one that has been "refurbished". But that means, while it looks pretty good, it has still been touched up. Comments?

Attachments

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
I agree!

I think you are right. The lack of parts and the lack of time that we all have!! - is bringing us to the point of over bidding like crazy. I guess I would rather pay, and maybe I have to pay, because I don't have the tools or time to refurbish my grungy ash tray. We all know that people are going to pay. :(

Lucky for me, my interior is the last thing on my mind at the moment. Another lucky thing there are some nice opel lovers that put things up on the classified section here before going to evilbay.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I know I have had great luck with eBay and really made some good connections. There are several people that I first met on eBay that I will check with first when looking for an item to buy. (Why pay eBay all the commision?)

The old saying, "Time is money", is very true in this fast paced world of ours. Shoot, any time I can save in the garage is time I can spend with kids atheletic events, home projects, better half relations... Wait a minute here! WHAT AM I SAYING????

I have to agree with you, Keith. And it goes both ways. There was a GT on ebay where the starting bid was $1,499.00 US dollars for a car that looked like a parts car more than something that would be easy to restore. So the prices are sometimes way out of whack both ways. (Last I saw, there were no bids on it and it's gone now.)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I saw that ash tray when it was $24 and said some one musy be crazy. If I need a part on Ebay- the first thing I go to is my OGTS book and see what the real price is. Then I will bid up to $5 below the price. Anything higher than that is just plain stupid as the shipping from OGTS is usually MUCH more reasonable then the packaging and shipping on some of these auctions. If I get the item then I got a deal, if not, I would just as soon deal with OGTS whom I completely trust, then deal with some I don't know.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
ebay is great

it is good for the seller and good for the buyer.

many things get over priced in a biddding war....

for instance..jimsky sold his old mirror for about $24 on ebay..i saw that on ebay and i said"someone might want mine too"..so i put mine up on ebay..bidding war started between two people and it went for $48..each party gets what they want..

also..i just bought stop watch so i can time my opel from 45-70mph in third gear...ebay price $1 used and it is nice...

after my new exhaust is on i will retime and see if it was all worth it..

also .i have cleaned out my garage on ebay...sold 2 -30 year old
bicycle racing tires..one had a leak...$48 and the buyer was happy to get it..it was odd stuff..that i cant use..w/o ebay i might as well throw it in the trash...

i have sold several old bikes on ebay..got the price i wanted and the buyer got what they wanted..with ebay.,,. i can buy it all back in a few years if I wanted to...

ebay was faster than going to the store..saves time..

·
Banned
3,842 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Oh yea when Ebay did a no listing charge day I loved it. For buyers it was like a half off sale. There were two or three of everything and it made the prices fall. I just like to pick out an item or two to watch that could be a real steal or a train wreck. Meaning somebody gets off track and bids till their wallet can't take any more. That front panel is rare and the only other is in glass that I know of. Then again I have found a few things like that with a buy it now option. I got my rear trim ring from Brett just after there were several on at the same time. It went for 35 or so when the others were over 100. I like the bargains but enjoy watching auctions get out of hand. The ashtray was great.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Ash & Sackcloth!

1) Find tatty ash tray on EBay and buy $ 9.99
2) Pay postage $10.01
3) Strip ash tray 1/2 hr @ $40/hr $20.00
4) Chrome plate inside $25.00
5) Repaint and assemble 1hr $40.00

Total $105.00

Gee! It was cheap at $66.00 :D

And; no it was not me that bougth it - I got a fixer-up!

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
As I'm constantly checking the prices of stuff I have definately noticed the price of American sourced spares has gone up and up over the last few months.

German GT bits are doing similar things, obvioulsy depends on what it is, I saw a petrol cap reach $150 and at the moment if you fancy a Steinmetz rocker cover you'd better dig deep.....the cheapest is about $180!!!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
marc-avatar

marc:by the way..your avatar is cool and different..how did you do it?

·
Opel Guy
13 Posts
I'm in the process of clearing out many of my duplicate spare parts on Ebay. I wish I knew someone was willing to pay big bucks for an ashtray. Mine went for $1.00 2 weeks ago. It was in good shape, but it needed painted. My wife wants the basement back, so some of my parts gotta go. I have 3 cars worth of parts stored down there.

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Bucky,
I didn't do nothing.

Just an old animated GIF that I saved from the old OANA website before they went to Hemmings. I always thought it was cool & finally found a good use for it.
:D

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Refurbished ash tray

I checked out this gentlemans feedback and noticed he has been buying several GT ashtrays for the last few weeks. My guess is you will see more "refurbished ash trays" soon.

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Ebay is super! I have bought a lot of new parts on there and NO I never paid more than what OGTS was selling for! There is definately a common sense blockage with people who DO pay more for the items on ebay than what OGTS sells for! If I can get it cheaper and new on ebay I am going for it! NO bad luck in that area yet....but if the item isn't much cheaper than OGTS sells it for I am going to support OGTS as it is our orders that keeping them alive and kicking ! I personally dont want OGTS going anywhere on us!!!!
The $66 ash tray was beyond my comprehension though.... Get your existing one rechromed $25 and do the rest of the "refurbishing" yourself! If anyone out there thinks they can't...they are seriously underestimating themself!

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Speaking of high Ebay prices, how bout some of them lights/lenses? Wow! I have a set of the 2 parking lights on the back right and left if anyone is interested. One is in good condition, the other is okay. These are sellin for 50-60 dollars each on ebay, you can have both of mine for 50 :) Email me if your interested, I have many other parts also!

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I tried to get that piece of sheetmetal that goes from the bumper to the hood and between the lights and was going at it hot and heavy until a lurker or sandbagger went way beyond the price of a fiberglass repo part.

To Nobody: That part went for a shade over $300 not the $375 you thought it would go for, but you weren't too far off. Sitting here very depressed and disgusted. :mad:

Ron

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I just looked at the bid history on it and another 30 seconds would have done it. I bet that looked like a scene out of jaws... pretty good feeding frenzy.

·
587 Posts
I was watching that GT nose piece too. The bidding jumped almost $200 in a few minutes. He also just sold a distributor cap cover that keeps moisture from the cap & wires for $33.50. I have 3 or 4 of these NOS still in the Opel box. USA Opels was even selling them for $10 a while back. Not sure what they are going for now.

I keep saying I'm gonna start selling my big stash of parts on eBay. It looks like now is the time to do it. I should offer them here or take them to Carlisle first though. I picked up a set of NOS 1900(not Manta) fenders recently along with some new GT lower control arms & other NOS parts. I only have GTs, but they were too good a deal to pass up.

~ Tom C.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts