Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the members here that know the Thevenin brothers that founded the business I want to let you know that Tobie is not doing very well and we need to keep him in our thoughts and prayers and hope for the best for a very nice guy. He had a stroke several months ago and has severe heart problems. I talked with the family this past week and he is in the hospital and on life support, it pains me to know what is going on with him and what a good friend/mentor he has been over the past 50 years.

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Damn. Hope he recovers.

I met Tom and Tobie maybe 30 years ago in Forestville, MD at an Opel meet.

Sucks to get old sometimes. Been a rough year.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Gosh, that's sad.. from what I remember about Tom
Is that he was a real stand up type guy. I remember him. .being very helpful and Friendly., I purchase many parts from them
I found some files dating back 25 years or so.. take a look.. Tom was giving me Suspension advice....1995..what a goof saved everything LOL

what ever happen to George Foose Opel GT Store. Was
20201102_165720.jpg
he into Racing GT's????

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Gosh, that's sad.. from what I remember about Tom was he was a real stand up type guy. I remember him..being very helpful and Friendly.
I found some files dating back 25 years or so.. take a long.. Tom giving me Suspension advice....1995..what a goof saved everything LOL

what ever happen to George Foose Opel GT Store. Was
Mike, Tom Thevenin passed away back in 2000.

George Foose was selling off a lot of parts a year or two ago...as I recall he moved from The Midwest to North or South Carolina?

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
I just recently found my file of receipts and among them were some receipts from Opel Parts & Service Inc, Chesapeake, VA. and were signed by Tom. Sorry to hear of his passing so late after the fact - My purchases were March and May 1995. While I never had dealings with Tobie sounds like a nice guy, most Opel people seem to be nice and passionate about their hobby/business. Wishing him the best regarding his recovery.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Mike, Tom Thevenin passed away back in 2000.

George Foose was selling off a lot of parts a year or two ago...as I recall he moved from The Midwest to North or South Carolina?
Jeez, so sad, Good Opel Folks, getting OLD really sucks.. but hey, Bob, found your file too... the largest One
If I Remember correctly. Back in the 90's we still had Phone Booths
I got lost finding your place in CT
And I stop and tore out the page with a MAP from the Phone Book.LOL
Your Dad's GT is what inspired my GT madness.. 🙄

Attachments

Reactions: Timbo

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just recently found my file of receipts and among them were some receipts from Opel Parts & Service Inc, Chesapeake, VA. and were signed by Tom. Sorry to hear of his passing so late after the fact - My purchases were March and May 1995. While I never had dealings with Tobie sounds like a nice guy, most Opel people seem to be nice and passionate about their hobby/business. Wishing him the best regarding his recovery.
Just a little humor to lighten the sadness, There were three of the Thevenin brothers, Tommy Lee, Tobie Lee and Terry Lee (I was kinda the fourth son, adopted of course) but mail would come to the shop address to TL Thevenin and they had to open it to tell who it was for. Their mother cooked and brought lunch to the shop every day including enough for me to have lunch also and brought food for the weiner dog also. Good times with good people

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,526 Posts
I have Tom and Tobie to "blame" for being in the Opel community this long.. I could considered them good friends.

Because of them I went to that same meet with them in MD, and meet Joe Pavlack and the rest is History..

I hope he gets better. I had a feeling, he was getting sick, I know Tobie had sold most his Commodore stuff over the last few years, and recently there was an odd post for a Commodore motor in Suffolk, but the owner never replied to me when I inquired about it for OldOpelGuy.

If there is anything they need or help you need helping them, let me know I am only a hour or so up the road. Also if it is the family selling that Commodore motor on Craigslist, let them know I will come gladly pay for it and get it out of their way.

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the members here that know the Thevenin brothers that founded the business I want to let you know that Tobie is not doing very well and we need to keep him in our thoughts and prayers and hope for the best for a very nice guy. He had a stroke several months ago and has severe heart problems. I talked with the family this past week and he is in the hospital and on life support, it pains me to know what is going on with him and what a good friend/mentor he has been over the past 50 years.
Tobie Thevenin passed away at the age of 80, his funeral was yesterday and was attended by family and friends along with members of his church. It is sad to witness this passing, but I resign myself to the fact that he in a better place and in the company of several relatives and friends. I guess we all gotta go sometime but it was still a sad feeling to lose such a close friend.

·
Super Moderator
13,877 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. May he RIP.

Reactions: GoinManta

·
Registered
1 Posts
This news also pains me .... and yes, it really bites getting old!

Both Tom & Tobie helped my immensely with my Ascona A project way back in the early 80s while living in Newport News building new submarines. Over time we became good friends - the depth
of their knowledge was simply amazing and they taught me a lot. For quite a spell I soldiered down Military Highway just about every other weekend. I do not think I could have completed the project
without their help. Prayers for Tobe and all of his family.

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sad news. Met both in 1998 at P&S , Military Hwy.
There were a lot of Opels in the Backyard. Maybe 30 to 40 cars.
Attached a pic from my Stay back in 1998. View attachment 430571
I was the buyer for most of those parts cars, I rode around Norfolk in my Police Car and spotted them sitting in yards(LOL) I would make them an offer and if we came to an agreement we had a customer who had a wecker and he would tow them to the shop for $25-$30 and thats how we got all those cars on the property, we has 8 acres there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts