Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting a 71 GT, the deal is madem and if the snow ever stops, I can go pick it up!!!! I want to restore it to near original, just better wheels really. But I have a question of two on the motor, I want to stay with the Opel engine but I saw on a site once about converting it to a 2.2 l and that you can get dual side draft carbs. What is a good way to go with intakes and exhausts to get the best out of this and what can I expect to get out of the finished product in the way of hp? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you. :confused:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Site Search!

Take your mouse cursor over to the Search Box to the left of the page, place it on the "A" of advanced and left click, then type in "2.2L engine" and click on the GO box.

The result will be LOTS of posts with engine info, including the must read "Economical CIH engine rebuild" thread.

Good searching!

·
Opeler
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, this will be very helpful, even if it will take a few weeks for me to go through it all. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
I moved this thread to the "Opel Engine Performance Modifications" heading. Have a look around. There are LOTS of good ideas, from simply installing a better carb (at least a Weber 32/36, or a Weber 38 DGAS) to flat top (higher compression) pistons, which were standard before '71, to a higher lift/longer duration cam, to boring and stroking, to as much as 2.4 litres. Or you can just buy a 2.2 or 2.4 engine. My favourite thread? Visit the FAQ thread on getting more performance at:

http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2305

Or visit the "Engine Swap Forum" where the sky is the limit!

Hey, I just noticed that you are in Canada. Where?

Welcome, and good luck.

·
Opeler
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from Northern Ontario, the land of too much snow, but I know the car scene in Calgary is hot just now, a buddy has told me that the latest craze is to build stroker motors. The first suggestion that I got was a bit crazy, a 433 stroker in the Opel, but that is much more drastic than I want to go. All Canadian Opelers are going to have to get together some time and try a show or something. Thanks all for the help, I'm hoping to have the car complete for next year. We have a car show in Elliot Lake every July and we get our typical showing of Hondas and such, There is an early 70's Callanger and a 68 Mustang too. Sad when you can list all the hot rods in the area like that, we need a serious classic like the Opel in the area.
Thanks again:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts