Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have been around here for a while know that for years now I have been wanting to add a registry page to opelgt.com.

I wanted a program that would allow members to add basic info about their Opel and it would all be in a sortable, viewable database that would be connected to the forum member database and allow members to upload/edit their entry.

I may have found one that meets most of that criteria (Actually have it narrowed down to two programs). I am looking further into them and will probably purchase one this weekend as I have the week after Christmas off and it would be a good opportunity to customize the program and develop the registry.

Stay tuned..

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
That would be awesome Gary - thanks! For someone like me that often has a hard time keeping track of who has what (especially mods that I might want to copy someday :D) that would be a very valuable resource!

Matt

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Yea, That does sound great. And you would be able to see what mods are popular and so many other things. Oh the glory of statistics

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Can you imagine how neat it will be if sequential vin #'s turn up....I wonder what the odds are?

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
That's great news. Being a member of the site for.. 5 years now, I remember a few different discussions about this, and have always looked forward to it.

From what you have seen Gary, what type of information will we be able to enter? And what happens if we sell our Opel sometime in the future? Will we be able to remove our entry?

Members owning multiple cars (most of us), will we be able to enter all of them?

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great news. Being a member of the site for.. 5 years now, I remember a few different discussions about this, and have always looked forward to it.

From what you have seen Gary, what type of information will we be able to enter?

It's completely customizable.

And what happens if we sell our Opel sometime in the future?

You could remove your name and add the new owners name.

Will we be able to remove our entry?

Should be completely editable so you can add any mods you do.

Members owning multiple cars (most of us), will we be able to enter all of them?

It will even accommodate Rionart's flock.
The program I'm looking at is actually a combination car dealer/classified ad program so it has a lot of capacity and members can upload and edit. It runs on the same backend programs the site runs on so I'm already familiar with that. It has a professional layout that is completely customizable. Things like having check boxes for options or modifications, multiple search and sorting options.

I've been looking for this for a long time. It's not cheap, but I learned long ago that you get what you pay for. It's funny, 6 years ago when I was looking for a new forum package, I did a lot of research, trials, etc and ended up with the forum package we now have. Later on I went through the same process for the photo gallery script. Now when I go to a popular car site it seems like they are running those two programs.

Now a question for Y'all. (Did I get that right, Gene?) What info should be on the "Add a car" form besides the basics like engine, color, etc? Things like: Flat rear panel on a GT. pop out windows, Split bumper? It would be cool to get enough data to be able to determine year changes and when major changes occurred.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Registry Example

I agree with the idea of a registry. I'm sure you've seen this german one:

Opel GT-Fahrgestellnummern

At the very bottom of the list they have a form to enter a new GT. They ask for some special characteristics (Merkmale) like square or round indicator lights in the dash, 1 or 2 hooks to hold the hood down, ashtray with flip top or sliding lid, etc. If you need any headings, entries translate, I can help.

Harold.

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
What a great idea. Thanks for you dedication!

·
Opeler
603 Posts
Wasn't there some information gathered on the old Yahoo website?
Some years ago, I created the following attached table in MSWord to document my cars.

·
1,089 Posts
Gary,

I just sent along a small holiday gift to the site, if you buy a few beers with it it's fine with me too.

Hey, with all this optimism maybe other Opelers can get in the Christmas spirit for Gary's hard work!

Now's the time for Opel cheer!

Jim

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Can you imagine how neat it will be if sequential vin #'s turn up....I wonder what the odds are?
In your driveway, the odds are better than average....:)

Edit: Actually, I have a 1974 Manta Luxus with sequential vin #'s on it. There are three obvious VIN locations on these cars (tag on frame, tag on a-pillar, stamped on cowl area), and this car has two matching #'s, but the third number was off by one! I'm guessing someone dropped a tag on the ground during assembly and never saw it, and just grabbed the next one in line!

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Gary,

I just sent along a small holiday gift to the site, if you buy a few beers with it it's fine with me too.

Hey, with all this optimism maybe other Opelers can get in the Christmas spirit for Gary's hard work!

Now's the time for Opel cheer!

Jim
I was due also - good timing to help with the registry upgrade.

Matt

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Thats a superb idea Gary!!! Thanks so much for giving us all your dedication to this site!! We really cant thank you enough!:yup:
I've tried to register my GT on the other site and found it very difficult and hard to understand even in the English version......but I do like the way it appears in format. Having the model and then VIN # in order was pretty nice........

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This one could work out nice. Each model will have its own page. You will be able to sort the listings by year, VIN, date entered, etc. It is a standalone program and totally separate from the member database so you will need to register there.

More details to come..

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gary, are you going to mix the US cars and the European or list them separate?
Do the cars have to be "living" or can parts/scraped cars be entered as well??
Great questions!
The location will be on the details page. although it could be added to the search results. I'm trying to keep the search results as "clean" as possible.

The lister has a block where comments like "scrapped on 12/31/2010" can be added.

Anyone have any other suggestions or comments?

Car detail page attached. It still needs a lot of work. I need to eliminate some fields and add others.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts