Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Dave,

I expect it's the roller cam and lifters you're interested in...which I didn't order. Sorry, but you're going to have to wait 'till the end of the month when Bob gets one up and running.

As for the rockers, once the bugs get worked out they should perform the same as the ones Bob used to sell as they are basicly the same.

My head BTW has undercut 1.85" and 1.5" single piece chevy valves, titanium retainers, dual springs, viton seals, bronze manganese guides.... Bob helped spec the parts and did the porting. It wasn't flowed as his bench isn't set up but he estimates ~128 cfm @10" water on the intake. Cam is split profile Intake .459" [email protected]" Exhaust .435" [email protected]" 106 lobe seperation. I had to shorten the power valve spring and drill a hole in each of the throttle plates to get it to idle due to the large amount of overlap and high idle speed.

-Travis

·
Certified Opelholic
1,476 Posts
yes you are right i was kinda interested in the Cam and lifters

i already have roller rockers

when i E-mailed Cam Effects he seemed to only want to do kits so i thought you had cams also

the big problem i have is selecting a Cam

so i was hoping for some flow numbers or any info for that mater

to help me out

i have two heads that i had flow tested, one was ported buy Bob years ago

just looking for any info to help things along

Thanks

Davegt74

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey there all! It's been a while since I've been by opelgt.com. Nice bulletin board setup :)

Hey Bob, if you're out there somewhere, I've talked to you a few times over on the ClassicOpel Group and via email. You've mentioned the 2.7 you have planned for your Dad a few times now, and I was wondering what you're using to get to those specs - if you'll share :). I'm guessing you're talking about a stroked 2.4 or something? I've been planning on the 1.9 to 2.4 conversion, but since I was a chevy guy as a kid, I still have a hard time getting away from the old addage... "There's no replacement for displacement"... so the idea of going even bigger is at the very least interesting.

I'm also glad to hear that Chris is about ready with the roller setups. I'm looking forward to filling my head with goodies :).

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
It's a 2.4 block and crank. The crank is offset ground to accept a smaller honda bearing. The rod is an aftermarket honda part. The rod is a fair amount narrower than the Opels and I'm not sure of the implications of this...

-Travis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah... thanks Travis. I suppose since I already have most of my parts for the 1.9 to 2.4 I'll continue down that path... at least for this motor ;)

Surely a roller 2.4 will be plenty fun enough to start :D

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Travis said:
It's a 2.4 block and crank. The crank is offset ground to accept a smaller honda bearing. The rod is an aftermarket honda part. The rod is a fair amount narrower than the Opels and I'm not sure of the implications of this...

-Travis
Yes, the Acura rod I purchased is narrower than the Opel rod by about .030". Some of the other models of Honda rods are much narrower however. With the offset grinding, the journal width can be specified to any width I'd like, so I can keep side-movement to a minimum. There will be some oil pressure bleed-off from the wider clearances, but it should not be an issue on the 2.7 because of the lower rpms it will operate at (probably no reason to rev it above 6500, it's made for torque).

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
RallyBob said:
Yes, they're being 're-made' with a few upgrades (stronger). Otherwise, they're the same design and geometry. Cam Effects is also making a few extra sets of 'polylocks' for me (to use with stock rockers on my ITB car), and I sent them my blueprint for my stud girdle design too, which they said they wanted to produce.

Bob
Got my extra sets of polylocks on Friday. I only needed a few sets personally, but ordered some extra to get the cost down. Anyway, they'll fit stock rocker arms, so if you're looking for a set to install and eliminate the 'crimp' style locking nuts (excellent for ITB racecars BTW), I have them for $45 a set.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
This is what the polylocks look like:

Attachments

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Bob,

I'm in for a set. Thanks.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
This past week I received the special drilling jig needed to fit the Cam Effects roller lifters to an Opel head. So the only thing missing to make the roller cam kit fully functional is the valve springs, as they can't be run with regular springs.

Ironically, this happened at almost the same time that an aquaintance of mine announced he's purchasing a Dynopack dynomometer setup. A Dynopack is different than a normal chassis dyno, as it uses individual 'heads' which affix to the driven wheels of the vehicle being tested (so front, rear or all-wheel drive is not an issue). He'll have the setup in March, so by then I can get a baseline dyno run on the existing 'test' engine then get a follow-up test with the roller cam installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
roller/Rocker cam setup

I should be getting a complete setup sometime in the near ?????? from cam effects.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this setup or knows of anyone that is looking to get one let me know.

I am just looking to get out of it what I paid for it. If no one here is interested then I will do the Ebay thing.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
I finally had the opportunity to use the roller lifter jig to drill a cylinder head to accept the Cam Effects roller cam/lifters. Here is a photo showing the jig in place.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
The next step is the running of a tap into the drilled hole. I used a #10-32 tap.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Then a lifter sleeve was set into place, and a #10-32 x .250" set screw used to retain it. For the final assembly (after cleaning), I will use Locktite to ensure the set screw and sleeve stay in place.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Here's the full setup in place, the lifter sleeve, the set screw, the lifter, and the roller rocker arm. All I need now is the valve springs, and the head can be assembled and installed on the test engine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Got my roller cam valve springs today from Cam Effects. I have new titanium retainers on the way to me from Crower, plus an assortment of std., +.050", and -.050" billet valve keepers to help set the appropriate spring installed heights. So I am on the threshhold of having a fully functional Opel rollercam setup. News to follow as it progresses.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts