Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
MBG

I think I'll be asking for my money back for the roller rockers. $450 I think. It's been so long now I can't remember what I paid for them. I'll take legal action if I need to. I doubt anything will get done though.

:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Besides Notavette.

Who else is in the same shoes we are? I bought/paid for a complete set and never seen anything.

Of course when I called he was in the hills of california and had a bad reception.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I wouldn't get too excited yet. We don't know if the reports that he isn't paying suppliers are true or not, and we certainly don't know that he isn't planning to get everyone their parts.

I'll try to get in touch with him this afternoon and see whats up

-Travis

·
299 Posts
this sucks if chris is not going to be able to make the roller setup now
even though i dont have the money or the engine i was planning a roller setup
please keep us posted

and what is odd is that he should plenty of money if you guys have sent him some

·
240 Posts
Roller rocker arm question

Could someone detail what off the shelf roller rocker will work and how to modify them for the CIH engines???

Any update on the roller cam from Cam Effects???

Garry

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I managed to speak with Chris last week. His latest lash caps have been failing and he's having yet another batch made. They'll be hardened tool steel this time. Theoretically, I should be receiving them shortly and will let everyone know...

Unfortunately, he's still dragging his feet on the valve cover spacer which will make it difficult to use the rockers unless we all come up with something ourselves...

Why he isn't answering e-mails or voice mails I don't know, but it APPEARS he is still trying to get these orders together.

What a PITA this has become!

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I received lash cap version 4(atleaste the fourth that I've received). He's changed them quite a bit. They really shouldn't be failing now. He's added roughly 50% to the engagment with the lifter and it looks like he's doubled the thickness of the part that sits on top of the lifter. I haven't put a caliper on them yet. I didn't get a chance to install them today and I have plans tomorrow so I won't have them on till next week some time. I'll let you all know...

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
How have others made out with their roller rockers? Has anyone else received them yet?

I've found that the oil is not making its way out of the rocker stud. I ran my motor a few minutes with mild revving and the valve train was completely dry except for a little splash at the very front from the timing chain. I added a small v-groove to the bottom of the lock nut and all seems well now. This is similiar to what Opel had done with the stock rockers except that the groove was in the bearing.

There is a chance others won't have as much of a problem as I since the hole in my trunions are undersized and are actually a press fit over the rocker stud. He supposedly fixed this on the rest of the rockers. However, this would only allow oil to flow out the bottom of the trunion. I prefer to see it on top where it will get splashed around and help lubricate the rollers

-Travis

·
Opeler
27 Posts
Hi to all from the UK,

I received the rockers about 4 months ago and the lash caps about 2 weeks ago. I know of one other person in Europe who has received their rockers, but is still waiting on the lash caps.

I hope this makes everyone feel a bit better.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Here's a pic of the special valve springs for the roller camshaft setup. It took a while for me to receive them, and once I had them I found the 2.4 test head needed special spring seats for the exhaust valves only....there are no exhaust rotators, so the springs would have been .300" too short....but the intake side was nearly perfect....only a .030" shim needed.

I had custom A2 tool steel spring seats made that are .270" thick, and will use a .030" shim beneath them to get them to the .300" thickness.

I also found the head had to have a bunch of custom machine work done to allow the roller cam and springs to be used. That is where it sits now, the head is at the machinist's, hopefully ready in a day or two. Testing should commence shortly. (finally)

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
All the separate components. High-rate roller cam valve springs (1.25" diameter, 135-375 lb), Crower titanium retainers, billet chromoly valve locks, and the custom ($25 each!) billet heat-treated tool steel spring seats.

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
The 'test' cylinder head for the Opel roller camshaft setup was assembled last week, and today I finally got the chance to slip the camshaft into the head and install the roller lifters. While the actual process of inserting the lifters is a no-brainer, the lifter alignment process (which is critical) took me about an hour to do.

I also found that when you tighten the set-screw down to retain the roller lifter sleeve into the stock Opel lifter bore, you have to be cautious to not over-tighten the set-screw, otherwise the lifter sleeve will distort and the lifter will bind. Hopefully the Loctite I applied to the set-screw will be sufficient to ensure everything stays in place.

One thing for certain, the roller cam profiles are FAR more radical than a typical solid lifter cam. The opening and closing ramps are much more aggressive. While spinning the cam over the lifters really 'shoot' up once the lifter begins to climb the ramp of the lobe.

The only thing remaining to test the first roller cam kit is to simply bolt it onto the shortblock and fire it up. I'm shooting for the weekend of September 6th and 7th, which is the earliest time the car owner can bring the car down to my house to fit the head on.

Fingers crossed.....

Bob

·
648 Posts
RallyBob,

How do you rate the quality/design of these (CamEffect) roller rockers to your old design that TGSI Bob is getting ready to have built? I understand these are for a roller cam and the old ones weren't.
ThanX,
Curious James

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
The design is the same. Cam Effects used my old rocker arm design as well. They did beef up some areas of the rocker arm to make it stronger, and they anodized them purple instead of red and blue. Otherwise they're virtually identical. As far as quality, the Cam Effects rockers seem to be fine, but there were some teething problems.

For one, the ID of the center trunion on the first batch was too small, making them a tight fit on the rocker studs.

Secondly, the idea of making a lash cap instead of a dedicated lifter did not work out well initially (for solid lifters, not rollers). One problem stems from the fact that there are numerous types of solid lifters out there, both OEM Opel and aftermarket, and the lifter-top dimensions vary somewhat. The other issue with the lash caps was that the pressures/loading may have been miscalculated, since the prototype sets did NOT last long. They burned right up. So subsequent sets have had to be made from a better grade steel and heat treated to a harder degree. I believe there were 4 designs made of the lashcaps that had to be evaluated.

The roller lifters and camshaft need to use a roller rocker arm based on my design (rollers on both ends), so you can't use stock Opel rocker arms with the roller cam. Besides, stock rockers wouldn't last with the spring rates required for a roller cam anyway, they'd shatter.

The delays with the roller cams are another story altogether. It's been somewhat of a nightmare for most of you, I sure had my share of problems getting specifications worked out and parts made. Problems with the supplier were part of the issue, then the other issue was once the design was finalized and some dimensional corrections were made, it was up to me to mockup the prototype setup and give feedback to the supplier, but my schedule doesn't always give me the freedom to work on the parts at hand. Then there were issues with the 'test' vehicle's head that required the head to be machined (unrelated to the roller cam), and again my own schedule precluded me from spending enough time chasing the bugs down. Now, finally after a year and a half, I am ready to bolt the head onto the test vehicle. All the bugs appear to be worked out. We'll know once I start the engine.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
I'm still on schedule for the roller cam fitment tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that all goes well.....

Will notify everyone of the results.

Bob

61 - 80 of 105 Posts