Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
nobody said:
If Opel did them in different guages I can't say. I just measured what was in the house for thickness.
My understanding, (from the former UK Opel GT club president) is that the early GT's had thicker steel in the rocker panels and perhaps the floors as well. Doesn't necessarily jive with the year of your car, but certainly explains the differences people are seeing here.

That guy was a virtual walking encyclopedia of Opel GT's....the facts he had on the manufacturing variances was incredible.

Bob

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
When I carve into the 73 I'll have a better idea. I just had to move out some things before I parted the next one.

·
Opel Key Master
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sheetmetal

I tend to want to use the same thickness for the same thickness-my reasons:

1. After painted-during certain temperatures-thicker metal may shade differently due to temperature or speed in which it warms up-know from experience on my convertible-22 guage to 14guage-could definitly see the seam
2. After hammer welding a piece in-I don't want anyone to be able to tell something was replaced-especially on a rotisserir resto-and the 22guage is easier to form out the creases by hammer dolly and wooden bucks.
3. Not neccessarly a concours-but done right-and looks good.
Keith

21 - 23 of 23 Posts