Opel GT Forum banner
581 - 600 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I agree Eric, its always nice to meet other Opel owners, but you just never know what you might find :ugh: If nothing else but to help a fellow Opel owner :yup:
As my son says to me "Dad you never meet someone you can't talk to" he's correct too. I stopped on the way hoe and checked out a Black El Camino with a built engine, the owner wants to sell. he also has a 74 Mg, so you never know what you will find if you knock on the door. :yup:Jarrell

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
So, I was driving along around 55mph and saw what I was sure I couldn't have seen.
I had to go back to double check.

Yup, sure enough, it was a car that's a little more rare than an Opel GT but well discussed on this forum.

The cool thing is it's just as iconic. So iconic and recognizable that I saw this INSIDE a mechanics bay, with the door rolled down. The picture is taken through the glass.

When I stopped to get out I noticed they had two parts cars sitting next to the shop.

But that's only half the story.

Driving a little more, about a mile later, still going around 55, I spotted another iconic car. Yes this little Opel GT.

I took a look at it. The engine is DONE. It has froze with water in the block and there's definite swelling of the water jacket near the starter. The carb has a towel stuffed in it but it seems it's been sitting for over 10 years so there's likely rust in the bores.
The car wreaks of stale gas. The seats are 100% intact but a slight squeeze of the vinyl produced a noisy crack. I left the interior alone after that.
Otherwise the car is pretty straight. I tapped the rockers and they sounded bondo free. There's a rust spot on the back deck but the floorboards are intact with heavy rust, but not through. POR15 would take care of that.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Subcompact car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Opel gt

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I should have noticed the huge 70's rubber bumpers. My father bought a new -74 D-Jetronic equipped 99LE with similar bumpers when we lived in Sweden back in the day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't know if this is the right thread to post this since there are multiple "opel sightings" threads.. I had to take a detour going to work last week and to my surprise i passed this . I live and work in Fairborn Ohio and was curious if this belongs to a member ?

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,023 Posts
I didn't know if this is the right thread to post this since there are multiple "opel sightings" threads.. I had to take a detour going to work last week and to my surprise i passed this . I live and work in Fairborn Ohio and was curious if this belongs to a member ?
Cool picture. It's always fun when you unexpectedly see another GT-particularly when you are driving one. :)
There was a guy in Springfield OH (Thomas Kahlert) who had quite a collection of GTs. I'm not sure if that is one of his though. He used to be on this site (user name Kahlert) but hasn't posted for quite a while.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had left a note when I saw these cars the other day and the owner found it today and called me. He’s been driving opels since 74 and said I could stop by anytime. Sounds like a good guy, will probably stop by again and hopefully catch him at home.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Registered
414 Posts
He said he goes to the pnw opel meet, I will ask if he is a member here. What is the pnw opel club?

·
Opeler
659 Posts
Dave, did you ever stop by to investigate this sighting? I dropped my contact information at that local tire shop I saw the GT a couple weeks ago but nothing heard. Here's a picture of the obviously 71 red GT I saw up at Jamie's Tire Service in Beavercreek OH.

Attachments

Reactions: snmbroyles

·
Opeler
40 Posts
Dave, did you ever stop by to investigate this sighting? I dropped my contact information at that local tire shop I saw the GT a couple weeks ago but nothing heard. Here's a picture of the obviously 71 red GT I saw up at Jamie's Tire Service in Beavercreek OH.
Apparently Dayton OH is a haven for Opel GTs

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,449 Posts
A coworker of mine sent me two pictures of two Opel GTs he spotted. The white one in Woodstock, GA last Saturday is most possible Lance's car (AV8R), and the yellow one came up in Florida some earlier time last week.

Dieter

Reactions: guyopel
581 - 600 of 617 Posts