Opel GT Forum banner

Opel Sightings

Tags
sightings
123K views 643 replies 204 participants last post by  opelbits 
#1 ·
I was thinking that a thread where people can list Opels spotted and see if someone else owns it or if someone else is close enough to check it out might be useful. Maybe.

I went with a friend to Indiana to pick up some parts for his car and spotted a pale blue Manta (74-75) in some sort of industrial yard (concrete?). It seems to have been parked in the back and left.

It was south of Indianapolis near Shelbyville on the west side of 74. Just north of exit 113 (if you are headed south, it is right after the overpass (no exits) that is just before exit 113. Somewhere around mile marker 112. You can see it easily from the highway.

Anyone know of it? Can anyone investigate? (I didn't have time, but I sure could use a wiring harness.)

Reactions: Will I. Finish
#2 ·
this is an old sighting, but...... anyway a couple years ago on a parts run to Autozone for glowplugs on a old 86 chevy diesel. in the parking lot there was a blue manta. this was the first Opel i had ever seen. it was the Autozone in otsego michigan soon after it was built. just wondering if the owner is a member or if they still even own the car, after all its close to me and it was the absolute first opel i had ever seen, and my GT only being the second......LOL

#3 ·
California sightings

1) about a month ago: metallic blue GT in Pleasant Hill, CA. I followed the owner home and we chatted a while which made me happy.

2) a week later: orange GT in San Francisco, CA. Pulled in behind the owner and we chatted a while, which, of course, made me happy.

3) one week ago: GT for sale in Crockett, CA. Wish I could buy this one, but it needs a little too much body work for me to get done before the fall rains. Runs beautifully, and I wish someone would buy it!

4) yesterday: paint-free GT on San Pablo in Oakland, CA. Driver was wearing a surgical mask, so I didn't want to bother him/her (didn't get a good enough look).

Someday I'll get to sight one every day (in my driveway). :)

Nathan

#5 ·
Yup, paint free. I didn't get a terribly good look at it, but it definitely didn't have any paint on it. Just a little surface rust, IIRC.

I'm sorry I don't have much more information...do you know what part of california the car was in when it was stolen?

Nathan

#7 ·
Brand New GT Sighting

Spotted a brand new, never before purchased, 1973 Opel GT with 107 miles.

Yesterday I attended the Kool April Nights car show in Redding, California. Saw lots of nice cars, but no Opels.

However, I left the show and stopped by Taylor Motors (Buick Dealership) up in Redding, and saw a 1973, brand spankin' new, never before sold, GT in the dealership's showroom. It has never been registered. They told me it is the only GT in the world never sold publicly, except for one in ???? mueseum.

While the interior & paint look brand new, I found it interesting that metal parts in the engine compartment (thermostat housing, generator casing, carborator, valve cover, had the faded gray weathered look. But hey, the aircleaner duct was new, shiney, and without tears.

I'm posting pics here. Also, the black GT had roughly 100,000 miles on it before the dealership bought it and restored it in the dealership service department.

Attachments

#214 ·
brutusgone

Spotted a brand new, never before purchased, 1973 Opel GT with 107 miles.

Yesterday I attended the Kool April Nights car show in Redding, California. Saw lots of nice cars, but no Opels.

However, I left the show and stopped by Taylor Motors (Buick Dealership) up in Redding, and saw a 1973, brand spankin' new, never before sold, GT in the dealership's showroom. It has never been registered. They told me it is the only GT in the world never sold publicly, except for one in ???? mueseum.

While the interior & paint look brand new, I found it interesting that metal parts in the engine compartment (thermostat housing, generator casing, carborator, valve cover, had the faded gray weathered look. But hey, the aircleaner duct was new, shiney, and without tears.

I'm posting pics here. Also, the black GT had roughly 100,000 miles on it before the dealership bought it and restored it in the dealership service department.
I am not sure how to post on this site but I will try.
It is a beautiful GT but why do they have Manta Tailights in it???

#8 · (Edited)
And now, for the black restored GT....

Oh, and a bonus. Our housing development has a long winding four-lane divided road through it. We've got our share of parents with more money than wisdom. They often over-compensate for their lack of parenting interest by buying their most precious over-indulged teenager a V8 powered Mustang, Eclipse Spyder, and even full-size SUVs. Once a month, one of these kids' self-accessment of their supurb driving skill far exceeds reality resulting in a single-car accident on this 35 mph road. Fortunately, the trees and bushes in the divider strip keep them from involving other cars in the on-coming lanes. Unfortunately, these same trees and bushes get ripped up and our association has to replace them.

So it was amusing to me, returning yesturday from the car show, to spot the viper in the photo below. There's a parent out there somewhere who is most likely filing a claim today. The other side of the car looks worse than this, but on my 3rd pass the officer gave me the eye, so I had to abandon efforts for more photos.

I think the girl standing between the officer and the man was the skilled driver involved.

Attachments

#9 ·
Kadett Rallye spotted in Vanishing Point

I think there's a red (with black strip) Opel Kadett Rallye in the old car classic film "Vanishing Point" about 1/2 through the film. It's in the background of a news interview scene. Some guy's blocking the front end, so it's hard to be sure.

Anyone else seen this and can verify?

For you young guys who have never seen this CCF (classic car flick);
Vanishing Point is about an ex-Viet Nam marine, ex-cop, ex-racer that has been delivering cars between Colorado and San Francisco for several years. This time they give him a 1970 Dodge Challenger (can you spell hemi). He pops some uppers and away he goes. Along the way he re-evaluates his relationships, gets in touch with himself, works on self-improvement issues, and calls his closest buddies to tell them he loves them. Oh wait, I've confused that with the mamby-pamby film I didn't watch. In this film he just gets in the car and hauls butt from Denver to San Francisco.
(and yes, there is a UK version available)

#328 ·
omega man/charleton heston

I think there's a red (with black strip) Opel Kadett Rallye in the old car classic film "Vanishing Point" about 1/2 through the film. It's in the background of a news interview scene. Some guy's blocking the front end, so it's hard to be sure.

Anyone else seen this and can verify?

For you young guys who have never seen this CCF (classic car flick);
Vanishing Point is about an ex-Viet Nam marine, ex-cop, ex-racer that has been delivering cars between Colorado and San Francisco for several years. This time they give him a 1970 Dodge Challenger (can you spell hemi). He pops some uppers and away he goes. Along the way he re-evaluates his relationships, gets in touch with himself, works on self-improvement issues, and calls his closest buddies to tell them he loves them. Oh wait, I've confused that with the mamby-pamby film I didn't watch. In this film he just gets in the car and hauls butt from Denver to San Francisco.
(and yes, there is a UK version available)
There is a yellow one at the used car dealership where he takes the mustang.

#13 ·
West Coast GT said:
And now, for the black restored GT....

They often over-compensate for their lack of parenting interest by buying their most precious over-indulged teenager a V8 powered Mustang, Eclipse Spyder, and even full-size SUVs. Once a month, one of these kids' self-accessment of their supurb driving skill far exceeds reality resulting in a single-car accident on this 35 mph road. Fortunately, the trees and bushes in the divider strip keep them from involving other cars in the on-coming lanes. Unfortunately, these same trees and bushes get ripped up and our association has to replace them.
This is why I plan to give my children their cars in boxes....here honey put it together. I would like to think that after all the blood,sweat and tears that they would use their head behind the wheel. And if I ever catch them laying down while they are driving.......

Off the daddy to be chair.
:)

#14 ·
Another movie sighting . . .

Don't know whether this has been noted before, but about a third of the way into "The Pink Panther", there is a snow scene where the countess and her chauffeur drive up to a staged fight between David Niven and his butler. Their car is either a Rekord or an Olympia, '63 or '64 vintage (movie released in '64), head on shot with O P E L prominently displayed on the nose. :)

#15 ·
yellow gt spotted in algoma wisconsin

my brother (truman @opelgt .com)was in wisconsin visiting today and spots a sharp yellow gt in a park.

turns out the owner was member of this site "renta dj". he took photos that we will post later.

nice wheels and paint.

#16 ·
photos of gt

nice yelow gt

Attachments

#17 ·
I had to go to work this morning and happened to spot a very nice orange GT on a 2 axle trailer being pulled by a full size white pickup. The GT had louvers on the back window. It was west bound on highway 50 near Pueblo around 8:30. Anybody know who it was?

#18 ·
Da Blitz Manta

Driving home from picking up lunch, I was pleasantly suprised to see a nice bright green Manta sitting in the parking lot at Monument Car Parts on Pacheco Blvd. I screeched into the lot and went inside to see if I could find out whose it was, to no avail.

California license plate: DA BLITZ

I left a note on the windshield to say hello...

Good to see an Opel around!
Nathan
Martinez, CA

#19 ·
ghouliegirl said:
Driving home from picking up lunch, I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice bright green Manta sitting in the parking lot at Monument Car Parts on Pacheco Blvd. I screeched into the lot and went inside to see if I could find out whose it was, to no avail.
California license plate: DA BLITZ
I left a note on the windshield to say hello...
Good to see an Opel around!
Nathan
Martinez, CA
That would be John Curzi's Manta. VERY nice car! ( I saw it and met John at the 2003 OMC Picnic)

Attachments

#21 ·
John Curzi lives in Concord,CA. he also works at a German Auto shop. he is a fine mechanic.

#22 ·
Today I found the blue one I heard might be for sale. The one that comes with lots of parts and a V-8 kit. Was told the for sale rumor was absolutely untrue. This guy seemed to still have every car he ever owned, the junk row started in the fifties.
He bought the GT new when he was in the service. His kids have dibs on it but they can't find the keys. The doors are locked, it was parked in the row fifteen years ago.
It looks all there. Paint is faded and peeling but no serious dings.
That is now seven GT's I know of here in Kalispell, MT, including my two, which don't really count since one is a race car and the other is spare parts...

#172 ·
manta sighting

Saw a nice little bronze Opel Manta today at lunch.
I haven't seen it around before. One of you guys passing through da hood? :)
Ron in Indy
i made my own sighting today at a local bar guy came up to the bar and asked whos opel was outside and i thought i was in trouble for road rage but he said he loved the car so i educated him on it and he was stunned to hear they still made them i gave him a history lesson on opel and that they were the biggest selling car in western europe and how all the new saturns were all opels ,wanted to know how much i wanted for it ,i said about 4000 and he said he would ask 6000 for it i told him maybe ill be selling it in the future so he gave me his number. proud to give opel a big boost as i always do lots of educateing i allways do sorry for the bad spelling i need more education ha ha ha ha ha.

#25 ·
Kadett in "Carrie" ?

I was flipping through channels and stopped at the Stephen King movie "Carrie" last week, and although I wasn't paying close attention,
I think a Kadett is next to the car that Carrie and her date arrive in for
the prom.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.