Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright I already looked in the old posts about stereos with no luck. I want to put a cd/am/fm player in my gt and i was wondering if any one had any good models that are known to fit with little modifications. will I have to pull the dash board? what will i do with the wiring? I have a 300 watt speaker woofer combo that i want to put in the back, can i use that or will that over load the alternatoror other things?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Any Din sized CD player will fit, you will need to cut a little out of the dash, and Yes you will have to remove the gauge panel. If you opel never had but a stock stereo then you will need to run all of the speaker wires.

Here is a picture of how I have the speakers mounted in my car

http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/~blustc/images/blackstereo.jpg

There are component tweaters on the rear deck that you cannot see in the picture, and under the flap there are two amps. My car doesnt seam to have a problem with the two amps (one to power the mains, one to power the subs), an EQ, and the head unit running. So I dont think that you will have a problem with the alternator.

If that 300W box that you are refering to has the woofers and horn tweaters mouted in the same box, I think that you will be unimpressed with the sound. Opels are fairly noisy so you need a stereo that can cut through that, and those "all in one" boxes are fairly inefficient.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
stereo

you can put any stereo in your gt as long as it is the standard size, whatever that is, somewhere around 2"x7"(guess). All you have to do is take some tin snips and a file and make a rectangular hole in the stock location. This is pretty guess and check, just have your cd player close so you know what areas of the rectangle are big enough or need to be bigger, and then use the file to modify the hole as needed.

That is how i got mine in anyway, there might be an easier way someone else knows though. O yah i have a blaupunkt mp3000 in my car that fits nicely. I put my wires under the carpet over the driveline hump in the middle of the car.

As the 300watt speaker combo goes it depends on how many amps your alternator is, and if you plan on using an amplifier(amp) or not. With no amp your speakers will draw all its power from the cd player, so your baterry/alternator will be fine, seeing that most cd players are 180-220watts.if you plan to use a amp it depends on how many watts your amp is. When i got my car it had a 35amp alternator and that powered my 185watt cdplayer and 200watt amp, however my battery was close to dead all the time, so i upgraded my alternator to a 45amp, and that powers my 185watt cdplayer and 340watt amp. with my new setup i havent had any probems yet, in the last 2 months ive had it.

So everything comes down to the alternator,and if you plan on using an amplifier or not feel free to ask questions.

well, good luck, i hope that made sense

·
Registered
136 Posts
the biggest question is....whats you budget. If your serious about good sound its going to cost you. I plan to use a alpine 7998 with CDT eurosport front components, and a seperate amp to drive the speakers. You will NEVER get 60 or more watts per chan out your HU. If you want to go a little cheaper the best bank for the buck would be the 7998 (or an exclipse) with mb quarts reference series and some little 2 chan amp IMO. That would be right at $500-600. I also recommend checking our souddomain.com and termpro.com forums both of these are wonderul resources for specific audo products and install issues.

...The alt issue is interesteing. The GT has wayyyy to small of an alt to consider a large system. There are two main options buy something like an 85 amp alt from opels unlimited for $130 or get a 'custom' HO alt. Hope this helps.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
another good place to find inexpensive car audio is onlinecarstereo.com. They have really good deals on good brand names.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally I got a cd player! its a kenwood KDC-215S with a detachable face. but I was looking at the installation housing thing and it only has a 1/16 in. lip on it that stays on the outside of the guage panel, tell me if im wrong but does this 1/16 in. lip hold my whole cd player in? if so what is the best way to cut the guage panel this exact?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
jordan said:
tell me if im wrong but does this 1/16 in. lip hold my whole cd player in? if so what is the best way to cut the guage panel this exact?
Yes thats all that holds it in, but you should bend the stock radio holder so that it supports the new CD player, the stock one weights a lot more than any aftermarket cd player.

I used a dremmel to cut mine out, doesnt have to be exatly perfect, most cd players come with a clip on cover that covers the seam between the cd player and the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have no bracket or stock radio just plastic with a rectangle and 2 holes. (i guess it was removed by the PO)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does any one know the speaker size for the speaker window below the back window? 6 1/2 x 4 1/4 in.? thats what I got when I measured but i cant find any..anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the wiring schematics on the internet, but I cant figure out the electrical aspect of it completely. It has 3 electrial wires, ground, battery, and ignition so I guess my major question is can I splice the ignition wire (on the cd player) and the battery wire (constant) together? in the instructions on the net it says not to do that but im not certain if thats what they're talking about. is there an "accessories" position in the ignition switch? if there is how do I wire to it (i want to splice the ignition wire and the batt. wire together if there is no "acc" in the keyed ignition switch if that really is possible)? and im also going to have a power antennae, there is a power antennae wire in the harness but how do I hook it up? i assume that it is just the signal and not the acctual electricity it needs for it to rise, or I could be wrong. here is the website http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/manual.jsp?divisionId=3&productId=549 scroll down a little and click on kenwood kdc-215s then click on "installation"

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the cdplayer installed, it looks good but i had to shave a little off of the trim piece because it was hitting but it still looks good. Now my only problem is my wiring questions, any takers?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
stereo

The stereo probably has two seperate power supplies. One would be for the memory on the stereo and the other would be to power up the stereo when you turn on the ignition. Why use the wiring for the stock radio anyway? If you do that, I think the radio will only play when you have the key in the on position. That's not so good if your running points in the car.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
power antenna

The wire from the stereo is just to trip the relay for the antenna, the antenna will most likely need its own power supply. I have hooked up both power supplies to the radio from one source. I did it because I wanted to listen to the stereo without the ignition swith being in the on position. If you do have both power supplies to an always on power source, remember to turn the radio off when your done or you will have a dead battery, especially if you have amps.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the antenna controll wire will go to *a* wire on the antenna and the positive will go to the battery and the ground will get grounded to the frame (if possible) thats how I see it working but I will have to consult the instructions of the antenna for exact details. also will the antenna rise when I turn the stereo on and lower when I turn it off?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
power antenna

That's the way mine worked. Sometimes it was a nuisance with the antenna coming up everytime I turned the radio on to listen to a tape. You could put a switch in the antenna relay wire so that you can control when it comes up with the radio. By the way, are you sure there is enough room in the fender well for the bulky part of the antenna ? It has to sit right below the opening in the fender, you probably don't want the antenna to be slanted in some funny direction when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the one they sell at crutchfield probily wont fit its 12.5 in. tall and auto zone sells a 11.5 inch long one that is slim and will probily fit, if it doesnt I can return it or put it on something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.