Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the title says...although sometimes it's not by accident.
Back in 94 I worked for a toy company in the protoype/sales sample/sculpting/engineering department. Things were run a bit fast and loose and that left us more freedom than one would expect.

The company in question had recently acquired the north american Godzilla license and was producing a huge line of stuff for 1995. This is not the movie related items, but more in line with TOHO/Bandai.
One of the great things about job descriptions is the line, "and all other duties as assigned". Pretty good catch all, right?
Well, they had a booth at the New York Toy Show, THE toy show for major toy companies, and they had plans for a 'showroom' that they would bring buyers into. The request was made for an animated Godzilla head. One of the other guys started the project and got a little flummoxed on how to make the head turn, mouth open, two sets of claws to open and close, and sound and light efffects. Godzilla had to have glowing red eyes, turn his head about 50*, mouth opening as it did so, roar, eyes glow brighter and then blast everyone with atomic breath.
So, my then current task of applying glitter to pastel colored fairy castles was deemed low priority and I was pulled in to make the head and claws work while he continued making the outer skin.

Simplest way to deal with the two levels of brightness in the eyes was to use dual filament 12v taillights. I figured a pair of Opel GT taillight buckets would do the trick. They were just the right size and round. Worked great. Decent brightness in normal room light and the second filament produced a very noticeable increase.

As an added impact to the display, it was mounted about 8-10ft up, the atomic breath was one of those half million candlepower 12v spotlights with a blue gel over it. Everything was set up to get the attention of the buyers as they were brought in. The claws would move, the head would start moving, the mouth opens, the eyes get brighter as it roars, then the spotlight comes on and sweeps across the buyers and the rapt audience got 500,000 cp right in the face. It was a hit.

Later on, working for a science museum, I had to repair and freshen up an exhibit that used 1/64 scale die cast cars to demonstrate depth perception and distance. Of course I had to put new cars in and one of them was a DTM Opel Calibra.

Excuse the quality of the pics...

Jaw Organism Art Fang Event

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So, just past our 'room' we were in was a storage room and the molding/ casting area and a spraybooth. Mike, who did most of our resin casting was an afficionado of old B-movies. He would collect them and while watching them would record the audio on to a cassette tape. This is prior to relatively cheap CD burners.
In addition to playing Blue Oyster Cult (we had to hear Godzilla at least twice a day), he would play the audio from the B-movies...on a 200watt component system he brought in from home....very loud!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts