Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
opel

hey did opel ever make a v8 i ran into a old gent that said they he and friend put a opel v8 in a gt in high school he said it came out of a opel admiral he just spinning or ???

ps. on a other note a was woundering if their could be a place on the site for all of the update for opel car like the new alt and led light and such do we have on e and i just miss it

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Opel is a GM-owned company. Basically just another division of GM, like Chevy, Pontiac, etc. From the late-'60's through 1975, Opel borrowed corporate GM technology, and used small block Chevys in their big chassis cars in Europe. They specifically used the 'entry level' 283 and 327 Chevys (yes, even after Chevy stopped using them here). They were rated at 190 hp and 230 hp, respectively.

Bob

·
137 Posts
"...and used small block Chevys in their big chassis cars in Europe."

Yup ... I had an Opel Admiral (V8) when I was in Berlin (US Army). I screamed and yelled when I had to turn it in because of age ... got a new German Ford (V6) as a replacement -- not too shabby, but nothing like the big Opel.

Ken
73 GT (2)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Was the Opel V8 a 60 degree block? Because I really don't see how a 90 degree V8 could ever fit in an GT engine bay without serious fabrication of suspension mounting points and everything.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The Opel GT only came with two engines, a 1.1 and a 1.9 liter. The Opel Admiral, although I am not familiar with that model was probably a large luxury sedan that never got imported to the U.S. Just My $.02

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Opel/Chevy

I was scanning the Germany EBAY this morning, and came across this auction
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2442376390&category=42487
Looks like (probably is) a standard GM/Chevy 350 w/400, even has what looks like a Rochester 4bbl on it. But, was removed from a Opel Diplomat B. I know that the v8's were standard GM's, but, if you look at the valve cover, the decal makes it look like that just pulled it out of a 74 Camaro! LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
5.4L (5,4l the rest of the world) is a 327. It looks like a 1969 US model. Typically, foreign versions lag behind US due to less stringent emissions. So it's probably an early 70's engine.

1,5 Euro = $1.73 US, not big bidders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts