Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an odd question for you guys. I was reading through an old technical manual that had a section in it about how to tear down and rebuild a Vega (Opel) 4-speed. Would it be possible to toss the stock Vega tractor motor and swap in an Opel CIH mill, assuming you could fabricate the mounts, exhaust, etc? Could you also swap a Saginaw manual transmission from a Vega into an Opel?

·
Living in the past
2,288 Posts
Vega-Opel swap

I have an odd question for you guys. I was reading through an old technical manual that had a section in it about how to tear down and rebuild a Vega (Opel) 4-speed. Would it be possible to toss the stock Vega tractor motor and swap in an Opel CIH mill, assuming you could fabricate the mounts, exhaust, etc? Could you also swap a Saginaw manual transmission from a Vega into an Opel?
The Vega used the 6 cyl. CIH speed, the front case bearing is bigger than the Opel 4 cyl. transmission, but the internal parts can be used to replace the Opel stuff. A much easier swap is the Opel engine into a Chevette, as the Chevette was a Kadett with a Brazilian drive train (GM's version of the "world car"). The Chevette bellhousing will bolt up to the CIH engine except the two top bolt that go to the block but it is a pretty easy fix if you insist on have them bolted up (I ran one behind a CIH engine for a few years and never had a problem, with a S-10 T5 transmission).

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
The Vega used the 6 cyl. CIH speed, the front case bearing is bigger than the Opel 4 cyl. transmission,...
I had a 3 spd. Vega/Opel trans that the previous owner used when racing at some tracks because it had a different ratio 2nd gear. His solution was to space the trans back approx. 1/2" by using conveyor belt material and a custom driveshaft with the A/T spline for the 3spd. Can't recall the guy's name but he was from Loveland, OH.

Harold

P.S. He also used a 1.9L A/T flexplate, Al disc bolted to it and drilled for a Chevette clutch.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Are the bell housings interchangeable between 4 and 6-cylinder transmissions?
Nope. 6 cylinder versions use a larger front bearing and seal, therefore the recession in the bell housing is larger too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts